JaapSuter

Base and Parents

Actually They malfuntion alot less than Squares... I heard a few riggers say it has over a 99% chance of working...

Any actual figures? Just curious cuz I have heard that certain rounds are very reliable but 99% would be a very unreliable parachute indeed. In skydiving terms 99.9% would be about right for squares. (Difference between 1/100 and 1/1000)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Actually They malfuntion alot less than Squares... I heard a few riggers say it has over a 99% chance of working...

Any actual figures? Just curious cuz I have heard that certain rounds are very reliable but 99% would be a very unreliable parachute indeed. In skydiving terms 99.9% would be about right for squares. (Difference between 1/100 and 1/1000)

The difficulty with rounds v. squares in BASE is that round technology stopped being the focus of development 25 years ago. I don't think we have any real numbers about rounds.

It is my opinion, that a round is generally less consistent than a square in terms of inflation speed, and it is my experience that rounds open slower, but usually harder, than a slider up square canopy.

In terms of malfunctions? I think that if you are over water (which is the case for virtually all modern round BASE jumps), impact under a malfunctioning round is going to be ok. Fast and hard, but generally not injuriously so.

In terms of overall reliability? My gut says that the 20 year old rounds most of us are jumping are less reliable than our squares, but are statistically reliable enough for what we are doing (jumps over deep water) here. I'd bet that a BASE specific round built in the last couple years is going to be better than that, and I'd also say that there are things you could do to build rounds better than we have, but that it's unlikely anyone is going to go to the effort to do this, because the market niche is so small.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'd bet that a BASE specific round built in the last couple years is going to be better than that, and I'd also say that there are things you could do to build rounds better than we have, but that it's unlikely anyone is going to go to the effort to do this, because the market niche is so small.

And what about those new "jump from the skyscraper in case of emergency" rounds? I heard there is extensive research going on.

Fido

And what about those new "jump from the skyscraper in case of emergency" rounds? I heard there is extensive research going on.

I don't know anything about them. I'd love to hear from someone what research is being done on them. Most of the systems I saw were adapting rounds from other uses (like paraglider reserves) rather than actually involving any new research into the round parachute itself.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

My parents have known I skydive and love the pictures and videos I've showed them for about 6 years now. When I told them about BASE jumping my Mom replied "you got a parachute right? What's the big deal? Let's see you jump." So we went to the big screen in the basement and showed them BD2004 video. Showed them the first ten mins or so then me and my friends jump. They laughed their ass off. We watched my FJC with three of my good friends and a few other things. My sister and and her family offered to by me jump tickets as they do at my home DZ for my birthday and Christmas.
I am happy to have a very close family, it takes work.