NickDG

Russel (pBASE) is in the Hospital . . .

Russel Metlitzky hurt himself on a night bridge jump and is currently at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles. I went to visit him today and his injuries are one broken ankle, one broken femur, and one broken hip.

He's scheduled for a mechanical hip replacement this coming Monday evening.

Of course he feels no pain and is in good spirits. I also met his parents and they are very cool people. His Dad joked that since Russel is on the 7th floor of the hospital he might get his "B" while there . . .

I'll leave it to those there at the time of the jump to fill in the details but Russel said after a two second slider down delay his legs came up and hit him in the face. He didn't fully realize how badly he was hurt and actually went to work for two days after his return home.

If by chance you don’t know Russel he has a web site here: http://zerop.net/base/

You can leave your best wishes here, or send a card or note to:

Russel Metlitzky
Room 7129
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
8700 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90048

NickD
BASE 194

Damn, Russell, I wish I could be half as cool as you are man. Get well fast, dude. B|. Heres a little hint. Nurses are WAY kinky, man...;)

One on hand it's kind of funny that Russell can go through this latest incident and not have any pain. I'm sort of envious at the moment. But then he can't jump again until he heals and we know he wants to jump again soon. So I'd like to send some "Get well" vibes out to Russell.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Get well man, Try to keep your feet away from your face for a while. That sucks, you look like I did in the hospital. How's that morphine?

Russell,

Heal well brother. We'll figure this thing out.

There's a system we can create that will help you make cleaner freefalls. We need to get together and brainstorm over a few drinks.

Until then though, just focus on getting better.

Two second delay... Russel, you're a fuc**ing animal Dude! Love your work, can't wait to jump with you again.

---Chad

Russel, sorry ya got busted up, get well soon.

Le Roy
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Dear Russel,

We wish you a quick recovery.

from

Kenya
Regards

John (Kenya, East Africa)

Get well soon Russell. Injury is just plain boring but you'll be back before you know it.

ian

Wait, so did he break his leg on his own face? Or was it just the inertia from the hard opening?

Sorry to hear about the injuries.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I believe Russel is scheduled to leave the hospital and head home sometime this week, so if you want his home address to send a card, drop me a PM.

The crazy thing here is that his injuries were apparently sustained as a result of opening shock. With weaker bones and no muscle tone, his lower body just doesn't seem to be able to take the openings after slider down delays. He's really inventing a whole new sport from the ground up here, which means learning everything, with no one else to help share out the learning experiences.

Heal well, Russel. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

And we think we have to deal with hard openings--when was the last time an opening broke your femur?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hey Russel,

Keep your smile on! Even though you feel a little low sometimes, you're an inspiration to us all - a piece of human spirit so rich we can taste it. If more people went for their dreams with such gusto, the world would be a much different place - BASE jumping might even be normal!

If they won't give you the drugs because they think you can't feel it - just tell them when phantom pain mixes with boredom it hurts worse than they can imagine!

Hey Russel
You really are an inspiration , heal fast.
Best wishes from México

Gabo:)

[reply How's that morphine?

I'm guessing that he isn't needing any morphine--I wonder if they'll still try to charge him out the ya-ya for drugs? curious...
get well russel

I wish you all the best, my friend.
Heal soon ;)
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

His Dad joked that since Russel is on the 7th floor of the hospital he might get his "B" while there . . .

That's cool.. very cool. :ph34r:

Get well soon Russel, I'm sure everyones rooting for you. :)

He didn't fully realize how badly he was hurt and actually went to work for two days after his return home.

Damn, that's serious tolerance for pain.

Russel, some advice - even if it doesn't hurt...press the button anyway.

Heal fast.

The pain meds discussion is kind of funny.

When you have a spinal cord injury, and can't feel your body's pain, your body still has the pain, and it generally ends up in a condition called dysreflexia. Which means that even if you can't feel the pain, you still have to take the pain meds.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Russel,

Heal fast.

No pain, but lots to gain. I can appreciate what you do not feel.

Patience, in which you know all too well, is once again your bed-side companion.

Looking forward to hearing your perspective of the incident.

MT

www.asylumbase.com