NickDG

Accident - Last Night?

:$ Rest assured I'm a total ass in real life.

It's true.....he is a total ass!! (Is it a personal attack if I just agree with his statement?)

LOL- just kidding. Sunday night was awesome dude! Looking forward to Friday!! C'ya then my friendB|
SabreDave

Sunday night was awesome dude!

Comments like this shortly after a post about another guy having his tongue up my ass are going to make people wonder what the hell we were up to.

Great...:S

Yeah, Friday will be good. B|

...if you are standing atop of a building and feel nothing for wind is there a possibility that the bernouilli effects can bring higher velocity winds at the midpoint of the buildings.

Always. The concrete canyons channel wind around. If you walk around a block in a big city and note the wind direction and intensity at each corner, it's quite educational.

That's why we drop WDI's of whatever kind. I'm assuming that the jumper in this incident did so because I can't imagine jumping a building without doing so.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

>>Paragliding can teach canopy skills. But the most important (read: dangerous) part of a BASE jump is during and immediately after opening.<<

Over the years I have taken more than a few experienced paraglider pilots through AFF.

Up to deployment they are just like any other student, but after deployment they tend to have issues. They consider our student canopies more like the low performance wings they may have learned paragliding on, and they stop listening because they think they already know what you know. One lesson of aviation lost on many is the big differences in flying machines. It's a human nature problem and it takes an experienced instructor to recognize and deal with.

I'm sure there "is" from time to time a "Best BASE Jumper in the World." They way you'll know that person is you'll never here that boast from a sponsor, an advertisement, or from that person personally. You'll only hear it from his or her peers . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

wow i didnt think of that... i am sure this "idea" applies to many other areas too!

They consider our student canopies more like the low performance wings they may have learned paragliding on, and they stop listening because they think they already know what you know

Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

1) Effect of sponsorship and high profile jumps, and specifically the influence of Red Bull on BASE.
2) Preparation of non-skydivers (specifically paragliders) for BASE
3) Overall effect on BASE of an influx of non-skydivers into the sport, as a result of a commercial operation aimed at this end

Anbd as I said, there are a bunch of skydivers in Calgary who think: 4 effect on skydiving (via on-going inquiry) of an influx of non-skydiving BASE-jumpers into the newspapers.

I won't speculate on whether or not he was adequately prepared for this jump, but will say that I expect his level of canopy skill would have been higher than that of most BASE jumpers at his relative level of BASE experience (due to his extensive paragliding experience).

Do para-gliders exhibit any of the same characteristics of parachutes. Parachutes are trimmed and sized differently simply to do their job - open quickly and get you down to the ground, while paragliders are designed to float turn quickly to keep you up in the air. Characteristics to me seem very different, even in landing. What is the correlation?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

:$ Rest assured I'm a total ass in real life.

It's a shame that posting whore-dom doesn't translate into base-jumping skills.

i agree he is an ass in real life - he's also my partner (B.A.S.E., we're not flamers) ..... and quite wise, this is one of those things i'll regret saying im sure...

Do para-gliders exhibit any of the same characteristics of parachutes. Parachutes are trimmed and sized differently simply to do their job - open quickly and get you down to the ground, while paragliders are designed to float turn quickly to keep you up in the air. Characteristics to me seem very different, even in landing. What is the correlation?

I know of at least one acro paraglider pilot who seems to have an exceptional understanding of how a BASE canopy flies. I would say, yes, their skills probably translate very well. The flight characteristics are, of course, different. But I think any canopy pilot (paraglider or skydiver) worth his salt isn't flying the canopy based on a pre-set sequence of actions, but is actually feeling the canopy through the harness and through his finger tips.

Michael

For an educational pursuit of the wind conditions at a building, try releasing helium balloons beforehand if possible. Why get wind info from just near the top section of the building?
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

i do agree that canopy "pilots" be it swoopers, BASE jumpers or paragliders have an exceptional feel for the parachute - instinct in the situation is something else altogether though.

I agree with Michael's response. Having witnessed first hand more than one BASE jump made by paraglider pilots here in Canada this year and in Switzerland last summer it seems to me they are very adaptable to BASE canopies. The one PG pilot who really blew my mind can fly a BASE canopy like I have never seen. On a recent ski-BASE adventure I had with said PG dude he was doing things with that canopy that I didn't know possible! I was very impressed with his canopy skills. He was one with the wing young Jedi.
Now, granted he is in a caliber all his own as probably one of the most experienced PG around anywhere but he sure has it together.
As far as them (the average PG pilot, ther are always exceptions) being on equal footing.....I don't think so personally. Skydiving will teach things that PG won't. Things that are neccesary to surviving and knowing what's happening during deployment etc.
Now, the largest majority of the PG guys getting into BASE that I have met have done some skydiving usually after making their first BASE jumps potato style. They have done their skydiving with the goal of developing skills for BASE. This seems like a very intelligent course of action to me.
In a perfect world..........300-700 skydives including a bunch of CRW, a bunch of hours under Paragliders and their related micrometeorolgy courses would be a benefit to all BASE heads. In fact I believe that experience flying all sorts of different things from Sail-planes to cessnas will all contribute. Nothing will sway me from the belief that skydiving is a very important precursor to BASE. It is and will always be!
For those choosing another way....it will require some serious will power to develop needed skills before advanced object jumps.
Take two BASE jumpers,one with say 700 skydives where 200 or so were CRW, another one has 1000 hours flying PG's, they both have 20 potato jumps.
I truly believe that the skydiver is far more prepared to deal with the deployment and the few seconds after which as we all know is the most (usually)dangerous part of the jjump.
Paragliding is a good skill to have as a BASE jumper but a whack of skydiving is invaluable!
Now feel free to file what I said wherever you want!;)
SabreDave

Hey all,

I heard that someone claiming to be a Calgary BASE jumper gave an interview on CBC last night. I know this message will go out to a lot of people who have no idea what I'm talking about, but if anyone saw the interview, please PM me. I'm curious who that was.

Michael

And if there is a transcript, or summary, I'd like it PMed or posted here, whatever is more appropriate.

Just watched the CBC interview with Will Gadd. For a person who only dabbled in BASE I am quite pleased with what he had to say! I don't think anything he said at all that could be taken as negative.

Good work Will! Have to admit I was worried when I heard someone had spoken to the media about this incident. The active locals have been shooting down media requests by saying we would be happy to talk in a few weeks once the sensational accident was on the back burner.

Edit: I will edit to say that, as a born and raised Abertan I have know the name Will Gadd for quite some time. I have found his accomplishments in ice climbing, mixed climbing and paragliding to be quite inspiring!

SabreDave

587 & SabreDave,
By now you should know the rules of this forum- it's strictly taboo to say anything positive about Red Bull or their athletes. Please edit your posts accordingly.
Happy Hucking-
Othar

For an educational pursuit of the wind conditions at a building, try releasing helium balloons beforehand if possible. Why get wind info from just near the top section of the building?

Nice one. So friggin simple yet I didn't think of it! That just makes so much sense I don't know what else to say. Shall keep that one in mind....
SabreDave