base428

Land Purchase Under NRGB - Latest News

All,

Info packet will go out to everyone tonight or tomorrow. If you've emailed me or expressed interest in this thread, you'll get a copy.

Thanks.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

All,

Info packet will go out to everyone tonight or tomorrow. If you've emailed me or expressed interest in this thread, you'll get a copy.

Thanks.

What happened to doing this 2 years ago when you talked about it at BD? There were several people including myself that told you that we would purchase the land to be a part of what you wanted to do, But you acted as if you didn't want anyone but your in crowd involved. Will you charge the jumpers who chip in to land on your property? Good luck! I hope you hav'nt wasted too much time talking about it instead of doing it.
SONIC BEEF #1 BASE 708, NC BASE 3
SLI,IADI,AFFI.TIE.FAA Rigger, Single & Multi Commercial Pilot,CFI, CFII, MEI

Jason,
Do you remember last year when my freind Dave Wall called you after I told him that you were looking for money for the land purchase? He told you that he would put all the money up front for this deal but you told him no thanks that you had it all under control,,,well I guess that wasn't true. Dave told you that he didn't even want to make a profit for the loan just his money back. Dave isn't even a BASE jumper, he just has freinds that are and the meens to help out but you turned him down..... If your not gonna do anything but talk, step aside and let others do it.
No one is trying to steal your thunder or to take the spot light away from you. You can still be the HEAD of the NEW MODERNIZED BASE regulatory organization.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP out and keep it free for everyone.

If your not gonna do anything but talk, step aside and let others do it.

It doesn't sound like Jason has an exclusive or a right of first refusal on this piece of property, so anyone who is unhappy with the way he is doing things is free to contact the land owner and work out their own deal. You sound pretty disgruntled about what Jason is doing, so perhaps you and your friend should just bypass Jason, contact the land owner yourselves and have your friend buy it directly.

If your not gonna do anything but talk, step aside and let others do it.

It doesn't sound like Jason has an exclusive or a right of first refusal on this piece of property, so anyone who is unhappy with the way he is doing things is free to contact the land owner and work out their own deal. You sound pretty disgruntled about what Jason is doing, so perhaps you and your friend should just bypass Jason, contact the land owner yourselves and have your friend buy it directly.

I don't have a personal problem with Jason! I'm just letting everyone know that there were options open to him on this issue, as far back as 2 years ago when he first approached people about it. And I really don't think its appropriate to cry for help now that he cried wolf for so long.

Warning - Devil's Advocate Ahead . . .

Keep in mind the success of Bridge Day didn't just happen. It took the work of many BASE jumpers, over many years, to get where the event it now.

Jason's plan, at first glance, would be a dream come true for BASE jumping. However, after thinking about a bit, I can see some would be problems.

The plan seems to have morphed from adding a few more hours to Bridge Day to purchasing land below the bridge and (I'll assume) have jumping there everyday. This is a big step in the life of an event that sees only incremental changes from year to year. Does anyone remember when real wooden steps leading up to the rail was the talk of Bridge Day? Do you think 400 hundred BASE jumpers would show up on the third Saturday every October if jumping was available all the time? I can hear it now. "No, I avoid Bridge Day now, as it's so much easier and cheaper at other times."

Right now, due to the long time popularity of Bridge Day, the powers that be are forced to co-operate with us. If for any reason the NPS, Bridge Day Commission, or anyone else endeavored to shut down the event permanently the local townspeople would show up in masse with pitchforks and burning torches.

I'm afraid, as in the case of the NPS, that without "having" to participate they will become outright antagonistic. Without a stake in keeping jumping open, the NPS would be free to hassle BASE jumpers to no end. Right now, because it's in everyone's best interest, both sides are trying to get along with each other.

Another thing is right now (and this isn't about Jason personally, you could plug anyone's name in here) we all, unless you have warrants out for your arrest, have access to jumping at Bridge Day. What will happen when Jumper X (or a group of Jumper Xs) "owns" the jump itself and for some reason they decide they don't like you?

Will the open architecture of the event change to the detriment of the sport? We have always allowed a pretty much anything goes freedom at Bridge Day, and there's no arguing that idea has worked for over twenty years. Could Jumper X someday say only "certain" gear, or "types" of jumps are permitted?

One thing Jean Boenish, Andy Calistrate, and other's who have run Bridge Day understood is they were "only" stewards of the event. (Okay, maybe not Andy so much.) I guess I'm worried about killing the golden goose.

Bridge Day is BASE jumping's longest running event, it's a mainstay, and it's something that connects us to the early days of the sport. Bridge Day is what we all point to as a way to legitimize ourselves, and if major changes take place, there's no way to get around we are taking a big chance if it all goes awry. I could be wrong about all this, and I hope I am.

But, sometimes the Devil you know . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

I found my notes regarding Dave Wall and yes, we discussed the land issue in the past. For your information, over the last 1.5 years the acreage and prices have been changed by the landowners numerous times. Now, the landowners have changed their mind once again. I have also spent my own money on lawyers investigating every aspect of the purchase. There is a LOT of information that you are not aware of, so no need to cast stones. This stuff takes time. Most of the delays have been the fault of the landowners and waiting on lawyers and bids to come back.

The land issue should be settled this week and I'll be sure to keep you all informed. Things are changing every day.

Do you remember last year when my freind Dave Wall called you after I told him that you were looking for money for the land purchase? He told you that he would put all the money up front for this deal but you told him no thanks that you had it all under control,,,well I guess that wasn't true. Dave told you that he didn't even want to make a profit for the loan just his money back. Dave isn't even a BASE jumper, he just has freinds that are and the meens to help out but you turned him down..... If your not gonna do anything but talk, step aside and let others do it.
No one is trying to steal your thunder or to take the spot light away from you. You can still be the HEAD of the NEW MODERNIZED BASE regulatory organization.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP out and keep it free for everyone.

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I've started a reply to your post several times, Nick, and I'm still having trouble, so I won't try to answer your points; I'll just throw in a couple of my own.

Jason is talking about buying "landing area" not "exit point." The Bridge is not for sale, and it would be difficult to enforce rules or ban jumpers. I suspect that such enforcement would be about as successful as that of official attempts at such over the years: sporadic, at best. On the other hand, setting up the land purchase as a "BASE Trust" would be a practical idea, particularly from the standpoint of liability.

As for legal year-round jumping having a deleterious effect on Bridge Day, I have serious doubts for reasons I find myself unable to elucidate in a public forum.

But I'm wondering if there isn't some state law that bans foot traffic. I seem to recall that pedestrians are allowed on the Bridge only on Bridge Day. Jason? Have you looked at this issue, or did I hallucinate that sign on the highway?

rl

i think he was trying to get catwalk access from underneath
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

But I'm wondering if there isn't some state law that bans foot traffic. I seem to recall that pedestrians are allowed on the Bridge only on Bridge Day. Jason? Have you looked at this issue, or did I hallucinate that sign on the highway?

rl

Foot traffic on the bridge is banned, save for bridge day. Whether you were hallucinating or not... well, thats a whole different bag;)

nic

hallucinating

maybe all the easter candy I ate got to me...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I'm in jason send me the info !!!!!!?????
Lonnie

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

bump.... just wondering if anything ever developed or failed to develop... thread just kindof died...

I wrote more about it Here.

Currently, it's a political nightmare. I met with the new land owner several times and as long as the NPS doesn't object, he'll clear the land for us at no cost. I'm currently asking for help from the Bridge Day Commission, Governor Manchin, and Congressman Rahall in obtaining the green light to cut down some trees. This is a sensitive issue because the NPS and other eco people think cutting down trees in the gorge is bad, regardless of whether it's private property or not. The new land owner has already been hassled by the NPS for building developments near the park, so he doesn't want to cut any trees down until some higher ups OK it. I know the new LZ would make BD safer and maybe even save a life, but jumpers are not very well respected in Fayetteville.

Here is some text from a recent letter to my Governor and the Bridge Day Commission:

We are actively working with the new land owner on clearing a larger and safer privately-owned jumper landing zone below the New River Gorge Bridge. This new landing area was recently purchased by Mr. XXXXX and is next to the current NPS landing area. Mr. XXXXX is willing to clear the land as per our specifications in order to offer a safer alternative to the NPS landing area. Many jumper injuries each year are caused by tall trees that will not be removed by the NPS. Even though the property is privately owned, Mr. XXXXX fears that clearing a suitable ¾ acre landing zone will cause concern for some people. Mr. XXXXX and Vertical Visions would like your support in this venture in order to make Bridge Day safer and more enjoyable for both jumpers and spectators.

I do have a backup plan if I cannot get the big wigs to support me. I have requested meetings with the Governor and Congressman, so hopefully they'll give me 10 minutes to present the plan. Unfortunately, these things take time.

but jumpers are not very well respected in Fayetteville.

It's like that in every Fayetteville. It's the curse of the name. Maybe you should change the name of the town first. I suggest "BRTTBB" (Backwoods Rednecks Trying to Be Big Time). Man with all those constanants you could pretend it is a Serbian colony.