leroydb

"tomb of the unknown base jumper"

i would guess that there are those that have gone in and we dont know about them

maybe we can have a "tomb of the unknown base jumper"...

Besides those on the list, there might be others that have gone in. What about some sort of memorial to those individuals that have gone in unknown/reported in the persuit of BASE?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

maybe not a tomb... but some sort of memorial at the least... humm that might be a nice thought, but the [censored] might not like that idea...:$
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Besides those on the list, there might be others that have gone in. What about some sort of memorial to those individuals that have gone in unknown/reported in the persuit of BASE?

I think more appropriate would be a list of those that are GOING TO DIE in the pursuit of BASE. That might at least help *prevent* a death/injury...
mh

If there ever is a memorial, it'd better be tall enought to hop off of, and have an elevator...

-smd7

If there ever is a memorial, it'd better be tall enought to hop off of, and have an elevator...

Amen:)

SabreDave

If you dig around, you can find Nick's post on this. He suggested that we all take out life insurance policies that benefit a "BASE Memorial Foundation." As folks go in, the money is used to build additional floors onto a building (presumably with some kind of memorial to the jumper at "their" floor). The building just keeps growing...
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I think more appropriate would be a list of those that are GOING TO DIE in the pursuit of BASE.

That's fine. As long as that list includes the names of all active BASE jumpers. Sure some people take more risks than others. But no one is immune from the dangers of this sport. I'm sure I don't need to tell you this (you've been around longer than I have and have seen more shit than I have), but it sounds like you'd like to key on specific jumpers when I feel everyone would need to be on the list you speak of.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

point taken--yes I recognize that none of us are excluded from the list of "those who COULD go in," but the hypothetical list I speak of would contain the names of those people that should be bowling rather than BASE jumping.
mh

There is already a list of the jumpers that have died in this activity. Nick does a great job doing it. The awareness of the known fatalities, I think, more than covers the unknowns. I am sure Nick has a lot of bases covered throughout the world. The opportunity for notification is there.

If an Unknown BASE Jumper memorial were established I think it should be an original idea and not attempt to trace lineage to something already established just because it is an honorable and obvious sure thing. It would lessen the meaning and alienate the survivors of both memorials. I vote no! We can all chip in for our own object if we get tired of flicking others’.

We already have a Tomb of the Unknowns and it doesn't need anything drawing severity and reflection from it through name recognition.

I didnt specifically mean it the way you put that. I even posted

"maybe not a tomb... but some sort of memorial at the least... "

If I offended anyone, I am sincerely sorry. Please accept my humble and sincere appology.

A memorial of some type would be a good thing in any event and it should be an original idea, as stated by eb66to77
Leroy

the hypothetical list I speak of would contain the names of those people that should be bowling rather than BASE jumping.

No arguing that some people take more risks than others, that some people haven't acquired the proper experience before venturing into BASE and that some people (I think I fall into this one based on what happened to me a few weekends ago) have been known to be complacent on jumps at famiilar exit points. And we all know that complacency can kill (even at the bridge).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

>>Besides those on the list, there might be others that have gone in.<<

I'm pretty sure there some BASE fatalities we don't know about. For instance #56 on the List occurred in 2001 and I just got wind of it this year. In that case keeping it quiet was for legal reasons.

It might be a stretch to think a known BASE jumper nowadays could go missing without anyone noticing, but it's a big world, and not much about that world surprises me.

Tom's reminder of the "BASE Museum" idea made me laugh, but I do know there'll be one someday. Jean Boenish has the guts of just such a Museum sitting in her garage right now. The first Velcro closed rigs built for BASE jumping are there, all of Carl's cameras and photographs are there. All the early correspondence from when we truly were a "small band of brothers" is there.

If Tom rents a storefront in Twin Falls I'll start working on Jean to give it all up. I mean what BASE jumper would visit the potato bridge without stopping in at the BASE Museum?

NickD :)BASE 194