jmfreefly

Got Wings?

ah i already downloaded about all of about 3 and sent the to her already. so if you don't want your pic on the wings site you better speak up now.

If you sent my pic, thats fine by me. I love my Wings and *I* think it's absolutely beautiful - of course. :D

It's gear.

I expected as much when the moderators are participating. The forum is for gear related issues and questions. At least that is what the header still says. Hey, look at my pretty rig is not an issue or question.

I suppose then it is OK if I post a bunch of photos of my pilot chutes.......and helmets, gosh there must be 20 or 30 around the DZ with lots of pretty colors. Mostly Pro-Tecs, but there are some Factory Divers, Oxygens and Z-1s along with a few Freefly types. Maybe someone will add on photos of their custom painted helmets. Jumpsuit pics too, yes, lots of pretty ones. And shoes. We had a thread about what kind of shoes do people wear (which is actually relavent and appropriate), maybe some pics would be helpful and interesting there.

I've stated my case......I'll let it go.
alan

I was once told that packing a new canopy was really hard, I find packing mine into the wings really easy. I have a 150 sabre2 and yet the container is smaller than friends 135 and 120 javelins. Wierd, any idea why??????

:)

Do question marks make a question?

Quote : The Dropzone Gear and Rigging forum is where you can discuss any gear related questions and issues. Ask about gear before you buy it and find out what others are using and how

I expected as much when the moderators are participating. The forum is for gear related issues and questions. At least that is what the header still says. Hey, look at my pretty rig is not an issue or question.

Shouldn't this have been a PM, instead of bad mouthing the moderators in the open?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

How old is the rig?

Do those pics have the reserve packed, or unpacked? If it is empty, the shape can be significantly different.. My first wings has a little bit of an 'overhang' into the main pack tray, but nothing like that.. My newer wings is much more 'straightwalled'.

Is there a 'hole' into the reserve tray at the corners?

j

The rig is spankey new. The reserve is packed up in the noted picture. Also the rig has the cut in laterials. As was noted by Kelly where this is on these rigs, maybe this is a characteristic of that design. Dont know but it was something I noted on an old J3 I had years ago where I always worried about packing so that it would catch. Like I said it is something that is probably not a big deal but I wanted to see if it was noted by others..

Scott C.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Shouldn't this have been a PM, instead of bad mouthing the moderators in the open?

Why? I'm sure it's much more satisfying to do it in the open.

So I'll answer it in the open. I don't see posting pics of gear as being "look at my pretty rig." Part of ordering a canopy/container/jumpsuit is choosing and arranging the colors. Seeing what other people have done with the colors on their gear can be helpful in figuring out which arrangements look good on a particular gear item.

Sure, people can see rigs out at the dropzone but what about those who are ordering something that isn't popular at their dz? And most people aren't playing with gear colors at the dz nowadays - they do that at home (or work) while they are on the computer.

imho, the Gear forum is the proper place for pics of Gear. And since I'm the only greenie in here now my opinion carries a bit of weight - unless HH disagrees with me and moves the threads, which is of course his right and I would follow his lead in the future.

I'm sure that all of alan's comments and compliments in the Infinity thread are a way of showing his disdain for how this forum is moderated... And at the risk of offending damn near everybody yet again - DILLIGAF?

I posed a real question. That should keep it here, right?? ;) I do agree it probably is better here then in Talk Back or in General as it is probably a good help for people, maybe a streach on that but I dont think it is way off for this forum..... Besides, there is not a "Rig Love" forum..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

What exactly constitutes "badmouthing"?
These gear photo threads are pure BS and all the rationalization in the world won't change it. Someone posts advertising some gear for sale and it is quickly pointed out by some one that this is not the right forum for that and it stops. But somebody decides to promote Infinity and Wings by posting a pic (with a little more than vanity and a desire for bonfire talk as motive) of their rig and requests for posts of pics of others with comments about how great the rig looks and it is OK. Then a couple of moderators jump on the band wagon and won't admit a mistake. We get a rationalization that it is gear and it helps people make color choices. BS. Where was that? Hey, Newby question, would you all post pics of your gear so I can use them to choose my colors? Ya, right!!! Or, Hey, I can't decide what colors to choose, would all of you post pics to help me decide? Uhhh huh.

If I have a public issue, I discuss it in public.
alan

The red one looks a little pregnant on the bottom. Is the canopy bigger than what it is designed for?

it may be from the birdman mod. the container has almost no corners (it is sewn up like and inch or 2). and sometimes if you don't get the bag in there just right, it does that.

later

Quick question and a way to get the thread back onto a gear and rigging topic to make the powers that be happy !! Does anybody else notice/have a "catch" in the bottom corners of the reserve tray.

Well, you may be a little tongue in cheek, but good question anyway. As rigger I've also noticed this but it did not concern me as much as the catch on the reserve PC bridle. When packed according to the manual, with the S folds under the side flaps at the bottom of the reserve pack tray, I've found on several occassions that the tension that the flaps put on the bridle traps it and inhibits the PC launch.
alan

Thanks, I haven't seen that yet. Is the BM mod to allow for the fit of the suit, as in make it more compatible?

it's not for the fit of the suit, but for the deployment. so when you pull, the bag can come off you back without catching any corners.

it takes a bit more time packing, because you have to make sure you get the bag in good and even. but not a big deal at all.

later

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why? I'm sure it's much more satisfying to do it in the open.

First, my intent has not been to "badmouth anyone". I don't feel I did. Second, if I have something to say, I say it in the open where I can be held accountable.

So I'll answer it in the open. I don't see posting pics of gear as being "look at my pretty rig." Part of ordering a canopy/container/jumpsuit is choosing and arranging the colors. Seeing what other people have done with the colors on their gear can be helpful in figuring out which arrangements look good on a particular gear item.

Fine, but look at the first post. No question or issue there and I haven't seen a lot of requests here for help in choosing rig colors. It is bonfire talk and should be done in the General Skydiving Discussions Forum.

Sure, people can see rigs out at the dropzone but what about those who are ordering something that isn't popular at their dz? And most people aren't playing with gear colors at the dz nowadays - they do that at home (or work) while they are on the computer.

Very fair assesment and it could be accomplished in the GSD Forum which is not defined as gear related issues or questions. I come to this forum expecting to find information about rigging and issues about rigging and the gear we use, not to see posts of people admiring each others color selections. If I want to discuss color selection I would expect to do that in the GSD Forum. Again, I would point out that there have been no posts here requesting help in color selection of rigs or anyone stating a problem with it.

imho, the Gear forum is the proper place for pics of Gear. And since I'm the only greenie in here now my opinion carries a bit of weight - unless HH disagrees with me and moves the threads, which is of course his right and I would follow his lead in the future.

This is really the bottom line. It would be PI for HH to do anything but back you up so........

A little off topic, but any idea why Derek is not green, or is that a private issue for Derek?

I'm sure that all of alan's comments and compliments in the Infinity thread are a way of showing his disdain for how this forum is moderated...

No, I would not paint it with that wide of a brush. In general this is my favorite forum and I try to follow it is much as I can. I come here looking for more serious "issues" than rig colors and hope that readers looking for that kind of conversation can find it in the general discussions. At the risk of being redundant, my posts have been intended to be more along the line of keeping things in check, like when someone posts advertising and promotion here. I am sorry for being such a pain in the ass about it.

And at the risk of offending damn near everybody yet again - DILLIGAF?

Don't worry, I offend everbody offen enough so that they barely notice when you do it.
alan

These gear photo threads are pure BS and all the rationalization in the world won't change it.

Your opinion. Mine differs.

Then a couple of moderators jump on the band wagon and won't admit a mistake. We get a rationalization that it is gear and it helps people make color choices. BS.

Your opinion. Mine differs.

I do know how to admit my mistakes. I've done so in these forums several times. I don't feel I've made one in this instance.

Perhaps you should take this issue up with Sangiro if it's this important to you?

Thanks again. Seems like a nice option and worth the sacrifice in appearance/packing to improve bag extraction into the low pressure the BM suit creats. Function over style.

right.

i also did this mod to my container because i was having problems with my bag coming off my back. i jump pull out, and for some odd reason they have a shorter bridle for the pull outs. i didn't know this, and also ordered a smaller pilot chute, which henry didn't want to build (23" i think, maybe 24") but he did. and when i pulled my bag wouldn't come off my back until i hit the side of the container. well i didn't want to call wings and let them know they were right about having too small of a pilot chute :P, so i let my corners out a bit, and it fixed everything. part of the problem too was i was putting a 85 vx in a container made for a 79 fx, so it was too big. but i made it work :)
hopefully on my new ext i won't have to do this. i ordered an extra long bridle (like an extra 2 ft.) and a normal size pilot chute.

later

Perhaps you should take this issue up with Sangiro if it's this important to you?

Maybe you missed it in my other post:
"It would be PI for HH to do anything but back you up so........ "

Again, I don't have an issue with how this forum is moderated in general. We disagree on the pic of my rig threads. I did prefer Dereks style much more but that is not so much a comment on your ability as it is my preferences. I asked about why he is not moderating and you seem to have chose not to comment, even after I left the door open for you to direct me to him personnally. Must be a private issue.
alan

any idea why Derek is not green, or is that a private issue for Derek?

If you would pay attention, you would have seen that Derek asked to be a non-greenie, since he stopped jumping and didn't want to end up correcting someone for something that is untrue. Basically, since he may not be able to keep up with current gear and gear issues, etc.

A very noble and smart thing to do IMHO, but then again, Derek is a class act.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i jump pull out, and for some odd reason they have a shorter bridle for the pull outs.

Inquiring minds...........
Why is the bridle shorter?

Is it possible that it has something to do with risk of entanglement or delay in pin extraction in the event you grab the bridle instead of the pud for deployment? I have a pullout pc here and the bridle is les than 5 feet long. They are not popular in my area so I never gave it much thought or had any motivation to question it before.
alan

Inquiring minds...........
Why is the bridle shorter?

Is it possible that it has something to do with risk of entanglement or delay in pin extraction in the event you grab the bridle instead of the pud for deployment? I have a pullout pc here and the bridle is les than 5 feet long. They are not popular in my area so I never gave it much thought or had any motivation to question it before

that may be it, but i really have no idea. and i guess i've never really asked anyone it before.

but it wouldn't make too much sense because sunpath has a much longer bridle than wings does, and they i assume haven't had any problems.

later

Maybe you missed it in my other post:
"It would be PI for HH to do anything but back you up so........ "

Sorry, I missed that. While Sangiro does in general back us up, he has "reversed" a thread deletion on occasion and he has deleted/moved threads/posts that I might have left up. I don't think he worries too much about my feelings when it comes to his website. ;)

I did prefer Dereks style much more but that is not so much a comment on your ability as it is my preferences.

I liked Derek's style too, and I'm sad that he's chosen not to moderate any longer - and it was his choice, made because he has quit jumping and is not doing as much rigging as he used to. This forum really needs an active rigger as a moderator. I haven't been an active rigger in years. My forte is helping people choose their gear - which I feel is also a valid use of this forum.

If you would pay attention,

I don't always have time to follow every thread, so I do miss somethings and when I do have time I don't go back and catch up on evrything. I try to pick up where things are at.

you would have seen that Derek asked to be a non-greenie, since he stopped jumping and didn't want to end up correcting someone for something that is untrue. Basically, since he may not be able to keep up with current gear and gear issues, etc.

Thanks, I didn't know he had stopped jumping. He still seems to post quite often and his posts are just as good as they always have been. With his experience and expertise I would think that he could have continued to be what I considered to be the best moderator on DZ.com.

A very noble and smart thing to do IMHO, but then again, Derek is a class act.

Derek is the best. IMHO he still could be if he so chose, it would be a while before he really got out of touch and there is no law requiring him to comment on something he is not sure about. I consider that a trademark of his, he knows what he is talking about and if he is not sure, he finds out.

I guess if you were still a greenie, you'd delete this entire thread, huh? Man, that must suck.

I guess that is your idea of a personal dig that can squeek by without falling into the "attack" classification. In answer to the "question" you posed though, no, I would not delete it, I would move it to the GSD Forum. I can recall when I was a moderator and pretty inexperienced at it, I deleted a couple of threads in haste and later regretted the mistake becuase even though they didn't belong here, in retrospect they would have been good exchanges in other forums. Hey, Pat Handel was visiting in Texas last Fall and told me the word around your DZ is that you write posts/reviews on canopies you hadn't jumped at the time you posted, he said it's a bit of a joke around the DZ. Was he BSing me?
alan