allrightscud

Canyon Dirt Bike Jump

UK TV is running an advert for something, not sure what, who says advertising works eh? Anyway, its a clip of someone on a dirt bike running up a ramp off a canyon, doing a back flip on the bike then launching into a base jump. It was very impressive footage and I'm after more info about it. Where, when, who and if there is a video, DVD featuring the jump?

Cheers.

Too much is never enough!

All right scud?

As in a motorcycle? Or do you mean a mountain bike or scooter?

It seem like Jason Bell has some footage on his site of some scooter and/or bicylce stunts, but I have not seen any dirt bike stuff anywhere.

Sounds awsome, having a passion for both sports, I'd love to see the video.

Ganja

Thanks for thinking of me, but we only rode Goped scooters off the cliff. Once was enough.

I think the person you may be thinking of is Travis Pastrano. He's the guy you see doing backflips on his motorcycle at the X Games. I heard he learned how to skydive, or maybe even base jump, and then did the stunt using a wooden ramp at the edge of the cliff.

Unlike Travis' motorcycle stunt, our Gopeds were attached to our feet and didn't smash into the gorge....
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Im pretty sure its the newest advert for SKY, the one before that i saw was some guy makin a wingsuit off a cliff.
Yeah the jump is off a wooden ramp on the edge of a canyon.

The rider is Travis Pastrana, the world's #1 freestyle motocross rider. My friend works for Ogio and told me Travis was in intense training by some sort of BASE pro (don't know who) and that this was his first and so far only BASE jump. You can see it here:

http://www.ogio.com/pages/vgallerywmv.cfm

more about Pastrana here:

http://www.motopress.net/Main/Riders/travispastrana2.htm

My take is the dude has some serious balls and he's pretty damn talented, too.

Anyone know how he was able to make a parachute jump at the Grand Canyon? Maybe it was outside the park? Or if it was inside the park, how did he get a Special Use Permit?
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Travis learned to skydive in MD several years ago. Real nice guy who came out ever so often to keep current. I'm pretty sure he has done several low altitude jumps from a motorcycle, but who knows. Compared to the shit they do on motocross bikes, base seems pretty safe.

For the interested, Greg Godfrey is the guy who directed and produced that Ogio commercial. He sells DVDs featuring Pastrana and has a couple of teaser trailers on his company website. They feature some pretty intense motocross action and some BASE too.

Godfrey Films

edit: The film with the Grand Canyon BASE scene is called Global Addiction

Compared to the shit they do on motocross bikes, base seems pretty safe.

Hell, it had to be safer than landing the backflip...

I'm actually a huge FMX fan. Thise guys are the tops of extreme in my book.

Ganja

I roadraced motorcycles with AMA and WERA and it is far closer to the edge than skydiving. Skydiving you come in to land at 30-50 mph with preferably nothing around...Racing you go into a turn at 75-100 mph with three other people trying to get through it before and inspite of you. It's incredible to participate in!

I took up skydiving after I quit racing because I wanted a thrill, but wanted to reduce the risk level...

But you notice he definately liked the thrill of BASE jumping.

Thanks all, I think I'll be getting myself a copy of Global Addiction.
I watched it last night again. Fantastic stuff. The footage was that good that I didn't register the commercial first time around. It was the latest Sky TV ad. The last one was the wing suit BASE. If only they showed footage like that on their scheduled programs I may have been interested in subscribing!

All right scud?

has anyone bought one of the films? it looks like the site isn't working. if someone knows where to order from, pls let me know.

Thanasi

I'm in the UK so got it from www.BlackDiamond.co.uk an extreme sports movie site. (skydiving and BASE jumping movies sadly lacking) I did a search and found a load of places selling it in the states though.

All right scud?

i own a copy of global addiction. bought it last year. really short base segment. truthfully, i was kinda unimpressed. travis does the backflip at the end and they don't show him deploy. to be continued...... and it's made up to be some monumentus jump too. i don't know, you be the judge. very small part with a wingsuit exit point pass and a helicopter skydive in the video too. any core dirtbike shop will have it. one thing, someone needs to slap the guy shooting from the helicopter and tell him what a focal point is. mr. wobly!

Travis learned to skydive in Utah specifically to make this jump. He was a very fast learner. Once off student statis he rented a helicopter to train for the base like opening. which was cool because the rest of us got to jump it as well.

Death is so permanant, and I'm just not ready for that kind of committment.