blair700

Slide up packjob

Was wondering if anyone could share their experiences using masking tape to help control the lines during silder up deployments..
I attached a pic, however I've never had anyone show me this in person....any feedback..? Black death?
Thanks
Blair

Oh my g-d...... you jumped that??????? Just Kidding.....see you the 12th................

Viva Mexico :) !
Jay Epstein Ramirez
www.adrenalineexploits.com

I think I'd move the tape further up the lines. It's hard to tell from the photo.

The tailgate (or tapegate) ought to be as far up the lines as possible. Ideally, it would be immediately below the line attachment points (obviously, this depends on where your particular breaks are set).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Thats pretty much how I do mine just higher as Tom noted. I use more or less tape depending on the delay. Also I don't tape the lines that the slider is stowed on, so its two less lines than if you were using the slider down tailgate. Don't get too greedy with the tape cause a hang up would suckB|:S. Its worked quite well for me, but thats just me so your results may vary...
Base # 942
The race is long and in the end, its only with yourself.

I placed the tape just below the attachment points of the in-board C lines, and included those as well as in-board D's and all steering lines...so the tape actually sets between the tailgate fingertrap, and the line attachment on the C's....?
Thanks everyone for the input.
Blair

PS you can just barely see the white tabs for the C's in the pic, the center cell of the canopy is silver

The lowest of the including (center C, center D, control line) attachment points is fine. That way you get them all. As I said, it was hard to tell. Your brakes look pretty shallow (but then, I guess it is slider up).

As a side note, that's the position your tailgate fingertrap ought to be in. if it's not, you should move it up. Low tailgates are prone to hangup on low airspeed (static line type) deployments.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Thanks man.
Yea, shallow brakes, and a fat a$$ BJ310....so I got alot of tail.....:P
Later
Blair

Probably a stoopid newbie question.......
Why are you not using a Tailgate device........if your lines are set up for it?

He was probally going to do a sliderUp jump. You wouldnt use a tailgate when you are S/U.

I have used tape in this fashion 5-6 times with postive results... but I have very few SU jumps to compair this to
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

If you're using a fine mesh slider, the concern of the slider hanging up on the tailgate is eliminated. I've been using a tailgate for all my slider up jumps for quite a while now.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Hey Hookit-
Are you using the small mesh slider on all your slider up jumps? What altitudes and delays? I have also been using a small mesh slider and a tailgate, but haven't done anything below 876' unless I intend to land in the water. If you're doing small mesh slider up jumps from sub 500' I'd love your input on your research and testing.

Thanks,
K

Probably a stoopid newbie question.......
Why are you not using a Tailgate device........if your lines are set up for it?

Usually because the tailgate insertion is in a non-optimum place (relative to the line attachments) once the shallow brakes are used. If you want to use a "standard" (i.e. line attached) tailgate on a slider up jump, you'll need to insert a second tailgate attachment at the ideal point for the shallow brake setting.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

K,

I've made dozens of small mesh jumps from the bridge here. The difference is small enough that I have trouble noticing it. I think that the changes in slider material (ZP-F111-Small Mesh-Large Mesh) matter most with terminal airspeed--and basically not at all with zero airpseed.

If you rigs with all four of those sliders, the openings are going to be remarkably close. If you take them all to terminal, they are going to spread out. At 2 seconds? There is some difference, but it just isn't actually that huge.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Yeah I use the fine hole mesh on all slider up jumps.

My set up is:

BlackJack
Fine hole mesh slider
Tailgate
Primary stow, no direct slider control.

I'm very careful to stow the primary as close to the slider as possible.

A whole bunch of jumps from the Perrine.
Delays of 2 and 3 seconds... mostly 2.
A couple 1 second delays due to chickening out while throwing myself off backwards, turning over, and pitching:$. (I'll work on that one next time).

I used it at the Go Fast Games and some other local objects. all around the 3 to 4 second range an other freefalls up to 20 plus seconds.

My "research" consisted of an extremely well thought out program as outlined here.

I said to myself "Self... A tailgate should work here. Just try it" So I did. At the time I had a couple canopies with big hole mesh. I was very careful not to allow the slider and the tailgate to mingle. Since then I've used the canopy with the small hole mesh slider.

I wrapped the tailgate only 2 times. Then tried 3 wraps. So far so good. I'm pretty careful to use a good stretchy small rubber band cut in half. I don't spread the tailgate out to push the rubber band as tight against the lines as it will go but I doubt it matters.

If you think about it,doing a 2 to 3 second delay doesn't allow you to build up enough speed for the relative wind to affect the slider either fine or big hole mesh. I bet using a sail slider at 2 seconds would be barely noticeable if at all.

I think that the biggest difference is using a sail slider versus a mesh slider whether it's big hole or small hole

nice collor on that ship:P

hope your good man,stop doing them dangerus jumps,keep it low;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Low tailgates are prone to hangup on low airspeed (static line type) deployments.

Why?

Yea....keep talking....when you get to the US, YOUR slider is gonna get wore slap out ;););). PM me again with your dates, maybe I could slip away for a couple of days to the span...:$B|
Later
Blair

Just be careful you don't get the tape wet. (packing on damp grass etc.) Wet tape doesn't rip B|

drinking a bit now... cant wait to meet you...

u r stoping at the east side right?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I bet using a sail slider at 2 seconds would be barely noticeable if at all.

I tend to agree. I haven't tried the 2 second bit, but a few years ago, at a suggestion from one of those old geezers who we'll just call the "double digits", I did try a number of PCA's with sail sliders and found that (as he said) with no airspeed, I couldn't tell a difference between various slider materials.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Low tailgates are prone to hangup on low airspeed (static line type) deployments.

Why?

The force of the tail opening gets transmitted through the lines, which allow some slack, so the tailgate itself takes less force (in terms of blowing it open).

If you do a search of this forum, you can find a whole thread on the topic, with comments from several manufacturers.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

At the point im hitting US i only have 1 slider and 2 rigs,neither of them will be packed whith it,not even pulled down(ie ITS OFF:P)

Ill Pm you bro

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

No worries Faber, I have plenty of sliders you can use. :)

No worries Faber, I have plenty of sliders you can use. :)

how do you know,as said i only have 1 slider up BASE so far,and i can tell that landing that Fox 225 on 5 cells on concrete wasnt that fun,then add 1 hour of solo climbing up to the 900ft exit point and the 4 sec chikken first stowed jump,i can say that it wasnt that much a pleassure:|>:(:ph34r:

Im really sure i dont know how to use a slider if i did i already would:D:P

cheers mate,ill bring a slider and 38,perhaps i can double its use so far(well 1 jump more and its double:ph34r:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber