badenhop

oops (2-18-05)

Numerous other charges are pending.

Oh, that sucks. B|[:/]:(
Base # 942
The race is long and in the end, its only with yourself.

XXXXX National Monument (CA)
BASE Jumping Incident
On the afternoon of Sunday, February 6th, three BASE jumps leapt sequentially from the middle tier of Balconies Cliffs, an ecologically sensitive area currently under visitor advisories for nesting prairie falcons, peregrine falcons and golden eagles. The park raptor monitor witnessed the jumps, as well as extreme disturbance to raptors in their nesting territories as a result of the sounds and motions of the deploying parachutes. The jumps were also seen by a ranger who was on the Balconies Cliffs trail almost directly underneath the BASE jumpers. The jumpers, later identified as Daren L., 26, Ricardo V., 34, and Brendan C., 26, were immediately apprehended at the talus base of the Balconies Cliffs in an area closed to visitors due to revegetation efforts. All three were issued mandatory appearance citations for air delivery and were released after their equipment was seized as evidence. Numerous other charges are pending.  Glenn Yanagi is the case ranger.
[Submitted by Glenn Yanagi, Park Ranger]

come on guys--are your jumps REALLY more important than the wildlife? We'll never do a legal NP jump with this kind of irresponsible shit going on. It's all of our responsibility to know about nesting seasons and other REAL restrictions. Just because it's a "bandit" jump doesn't absolve you of your responsibility to treat the place and its occupants with respect.

On another note--one the eggs hatch, and if you get your gear back, make your packjobs NEAT there! I'd hate to hit one of THOSE cliffs! Good luck getting your gear back.

mh

FYI: [URL http://archive.lnt.org/TeachingLNT/LNTEnglish.php]Leave No Trace[/url]: a good start...

come on guys--are your jumps REALLY more important than the wildlife?
FYI: Leave No Trace: a good start...

Respect Wildlife

-Avoid wildlife during sensitive times: mating, nesting, raising young, or winter.

-Let nature's sounds prevail. Avoid loud voices and noises.

Couldn't agree more.:|
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

hehehe... yeah I suppose. Do you like to be bothered during mating though? hehehe;)
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

Because we think, and love, and caress. we pretend to be smarter and better than other species when really we aren't. No matter what we do, the life force will continue to evolve on this planet despite, or in spite of, what we humans do. It's either all natural or not. And I'm just as natural as any one of those Falcons . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Just because they're getting nailed with the "disturbing wildlife" thing doesn't mean that's really how it went down. The jumpers were regular climbers, and climbers have fairly good notice of cliff closures for nesting. I'm wondering if they didn't throw in the "disturbing wildlife" charges to increase the penalties and hassle.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'm wondering if they didn't throw in the "disturbing wildlife" charges to increase the penalties and hassle.

That's a good question. And given the rumors we hear about the NPS, you're not alone in wondering if that is indeed the case, Tom.

http://www.stanford.edu/~clint/pin/birdc05.htm
http://www.stanford.edu/~clint/pin/balconies.gif

So I looked into it, and found these websites. Are they accurate? I don't know, maybe, maybe not. But it could have meant the jumpers picked a particularly bad time and place to jump. I don't know exactly where they jumped from, I'm not familiar with the area, and these links don't provide me with all the info I'd like. If I've misinterpreted them, someone who knows please let me know.

To me it appears that there may be legitimate grounds for a "disturbing the wildlife" charge. This charge has been levied many many times against hikers, climbers, etc in the past, so why should jumpers be exempt? I don't think one can plead "selective prosecution" of the law either; if you get caught breaking the rules, ya take your hits. Then change the law if you disagree with it.

Having been involved with birds of prey for a while I admit I'm a little biased. :$

But as for NickDG's statement that "we're wildlife too," I agree with him 100%! In other words, as part of the ecological web we must live with the consequences of our actions. Is one jump going to scare off any of those raptors? Highly doubtful, unless you 180 into their nest. Will five in a season? Maybe. 20? Almost definitely. When do you stop? You can apply the same line of reasoning to the extinction of species. I'm not saying we need to rescue every dying Jakovasaur (southpark reference for those who don't watch it) but raptors are not exactly Jakovasaurs. The country made tremendous effort over the last 30 years to bring many of these species same back from the brink of extinction, and we learned a lot in the process... why chip away at all that hard work.

Even if you completely dismiss environmentalism... It's bad PR for our cause, and birds of prey are still pretty cool to have around!

Not ripping on anyone here, and definitely not criticizing any jumpers for making a choice I would have avoided. I just think that these are some good reasons to avoid doing it in the future, that's all.

All too true Nick.

Except one thing.

The Falcons don't understand human politics as well as we should.

They are protected, we are not. If an animal kills a human, we kill the animal. Why not the other way? Its unfair for humans to be selective about equality.

Sometimes you have to do the thing that is perceived as correct by society in order to fulfil your desires.

It all depends on what outcome you are after.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Personally, I like the taste of falcons. They taste kind of like American Eagle or California Condor.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

And I'm just as natural as any one of those Falcons . . .

Jumping into the protected area is the equivalent of breaking and entering. Raptors are not adequately equipped to protect themselves against such incursions, and because we have co-opted their habitat, we have an ethical obligation to do it for them.

As far as I'm concerned, this is not about BASE. It's about a total disrespect for the creatures with which we share this planet.

rl

Hey... Avery
Remember when all of us got tickets in Washington State Parks...
for, Disturbing Sensitive wildlife. Nesting Falcons.... Trespassing on *Public Property*... Illegal take-off and landing of Aircraft.

Falcons are hardly endangered. I see them all over the place. Even nesting in down town buildings around here.
They seem to be Rugged and adapting creatures. as long as you don't.....
Keep Shoving DDT down there Throats.

When Falcons start to grow... Opposing Thumbs, Create Civilization and Rule the Earth.
That's the time I will start to consider a lesser species an... EQUAL.

My Point Being:

If they do not want you playing in there Cat Box. They will Throw Every Excuse at you.
to keep you from Threatening there little word they have created around them and
Undermining there strangle hold of Control they have... Created just for ...YOU..
In my opinion the Park Services can...Kiss My ASS.

also:
Our... Worthless...Piece of Crap Lawyer, Rolled over on us.

Hello Ray,
Yeah, I was thinking of just that when I read the morning report.
Crazy, we were just watching some video from that tour of PDX.
Some incriminating footage will be on the soon to be released
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Ya.... they was still good times I would not trade for nothin though.

some incriminating footage...Cool.. All I can hope is that I am in some of It.

Because we think, and love, and caress. we pretend to be smarter and better than other species when really we aren't. No matter what we do, the life force will continue to evolve on this planet despite, or in spite of, what we humans do. It's either all natural or not. And I'm just as natural as any one of those Falcons . . .

Tell that to the DoDo bird or the passenger pigeon. In this particular case you have to be sensitive to the arguments. I believe there have been proven cases where, say sea kayakers have caused nursing mothers to leave there young ones permanently by approaching too close...

Anyway, after they closed the cave for pretty much the same reason you have to realize this is something they're looking out for.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Hi Ray

I have to disagree with you on this one. Come down to Australia. I'll take you to one of my favourite jump sites. Whilst we are standing on the edge, look down. The visuals are AMAZING. A gorge that narrows as your focus moves from the edge to the bottom. A creek meanders below. Trees. Limestone caverns. etc etc

Look up and out in front of you, then peer a little to the right. Wow. What a visual. This is the human "civilisation" exercising its so called God given right to exercise its "superiorority" over nature.

What do you see? The other side of this beautiful gorge is being mined. Cliffs are disappearing. Trees are being felled. etc etc. I sometimes wonder how long it will be until the exit point is mined?? How superior!!! Someone will make money and spend it. The benefits of the mining is finite. But the next generation may not have the opportunity to see nature in real life. Heck, they may not even be able to use the exit point that we have grown to love. I am wondering where the superiority is here?

To me, nature is a big component of BASE jumping. To see selfish, ignorant, short sited, narrow minded humans take this away in an instant of self gratification has nothing to do with freedom and being a superior race. It actually shows inferiority.

Humans (& in particular Americans & now Australians) are dessimating the planet. It is ironic that both the USA and Australia have refused to sign recent international environmental treaties. This is not superiority. This is short sighted use and abuse.

Cities, technolgy, progression, etc are wonderful things. But so too is nature. So too is watching a falcon and the way it efficiently glides through the sky.

I'm not saying we should stop jumping sites where various species exist. But we should respect other species that exist there. We should also respect the wishes of society when efforts are made to preserve species.

If we don't show this respect, then we deserve no respect in return. And we should be treated accordingly.

Me. Me. Me. does not deserve respect.

Happy jumping!!!

;)

p.s. I took the attached photo yesterday morning. The beauty of it is that it is less than 1km from the centre of the city I live in and a drop zone that I jump at. Due to consideration given to coexistance between nature and man, I had the opportunity to witness this.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I removed a totally unrelated conversation from this thread.

This is a good discussion, and I don't want to see it sidetracked into a pointless rehashing of some other issues.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Before this turns into a gang bang flame fest why don't we let the accused jumpers relate their side of the story rather than pouncing on them when hardly anyone knows what actually happened. You're all making assumptions off of a fucking NPS report and we all know that the NPS plays fairly [:/] WTF...

Come on guys, this is a mistake anyone could have made. So lets wait and hear from the three jumpers before we all gang up on them. They are going to suffer enough between losing their gear, fines, and courts fees so lets not add to it by ex-communicating them from the community. You're all acting like they're a bunch of poachers or something.
Base # 942

{QUOTE} come on guys--are your jumps REALLY more important than the wildlife? We'll never do a legal NP jump with this kind of irresponsible shit going on. It's all of our responsibility to know about nesting seasons and other REAL restrictions. Just because it's a "bandit" jump doesn't absolve you of your responsibility to treat the place and its occupants with respect.
------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------

In response to this comment and Nate's comment above, Couldn't agree with you more Nate. It's like all those saying that these guys are "not respecting" wildlife are saying that they went out there intentionally to disturb the wildlife, to do them harm and intentionally neglected signs; this isn't the way it went down. They did not absolve themselves of responsisbilty. Nobody but the three of them were there and therefore before you judge other BASE jumpers and their actions and ethics, and give the NPS the benefit of the doubt, sit back and ask yourself if you've ever done something and not known something important about the situation until after the fact (if that is the case here)....sometimes that's called a mistake and we all make them.

Well said

sit back and ask yourself if you've ever done something and not known something important about the situation until after the fact (if that is the case here)....sometimes that's called a mistake and we all make them.

Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Holy Crap
People.. This isn't Ecology 101 in your local community Collage.
Even though being out in Nature is a large part of BASE Jumping.

Don't get caught. That is your responsibility. so wake-up.

You don't really expect them to just invite you in for a nice afternoon jump on a sunny day.
that Nonsense will never be the reality to an ...American BASE Jumper.

I can drive out to Portland City or just go out to my Job during the day / any day of the week where
I live and see Raptor. They are everywhere...and the population is GROWING
More species of Raptor than I can identify. / Hawk / Eagle / Falcon / Osprey etc. everywhere.
also:
Peregrine Falcons are not on the Federal endangered species list. They have not been on there
for quite some time.
They.. (your controllers) have classified them as...... Sensitive.. (lets say this word one more time)... Sensitive
The State and Federal park services uses the same tactics as the Ecological Terrorist do here in the North West.
1. - Find a species of animal
2. - Get that species of animal classified as... Sensitive
3. - Use that classification (sensitive) as... There Political Tool

A political tool to enforce There agenda of... Control
The agenda being that...You will never be invited to BASE jump on State or Federal Park land.in America.

You do not have the Right as a citizen to BASE jump on the majority of Publicly owned property.
The State and Federal Park Service, Employees job is to enforce the law and to find new ways to
**** Enforce the Law. ****
The Enforcers Mentality does not function in the way you or I think....(the BASE jumper)
Wake-Up... that's why they are the - Park Police.

State & Federal Park Services Officers... are The Enforcers..They dream to be, stand in line to be trained.
1. - The Enforcer also - Choose - to be told how to Dress, Talk, Interact and control .. You.. the BASE jumping public
2. - They gladly choose and take pride in perusing your Faults. Your fault in this case is making a BASE jump.
3. - Then with a pounding of pride and sense of accomplishment in there Hearts.....
4. - They Happily Detain or Arrest you. Then Schedule you to be severally Monetarily Punished.
5. - In the enforcers mind that is how he or she serves the... Human Cause... To Make Your Life Better.

Well Not Me.. My Friends...You can feed into this Lie ... Like Mindless Sheep.. Not to better my Life

You Are BASE Jumpers / Act Like BASE Jumpers / You are in Control

You as a BASE Jumper are FREE... Free for that instant of your life to be the... Superior Species
You are a Superior Vertebrate Human Mammal. .. You are Not some suck-ass, low-life.. Cephalopod.

Take one of those Opposing thumbs on your hand. use that extra Chromosome that separates you from the Common Chimpanzee.
Throw that Pilot-Chute out. Take that superior Brain. Use it as a Tool to...

Make that JUMP...Stick it to the Enforcer... &... do Not Get Caught.

Ray, I couldn't agree with you more.
Base # 942