MarkSin

Hand held deployment

I'm a newbie to this sport and I have felt my bridle a few times after throwing my pilot chute. This picture shows the last jump that I felt my bridle. I guess my throwing technic must be wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

Hey Mark,
how do you "pack" the PC in your hand?

Jul.
JFK #1013
PM Me
No Adrenalin.... No Fun!
"Minds are like parachutes the

The same way Adam explains in CR's packing video. S fold the pilot chute and then S fold the bridle. I hold the bridle against my palm with the fabric of the pilot chute covering the bridle.
Mark.

If that is a screen-grab, any chance of uploading the video? Did you allow enough slack in the bridle for the pitch? BTW when you jump A's and S's do you tuck the bridle into the top flap of your container so that a tail-wind can't blow it under your arm when you pitch?

Sorry, I can only ask questions, hopefully some of the more experienced guys can give some insight. :)
Will

I'm assuming this isn't it, but...

You know that both ends of the bridle (to hand and to PC) need to come out the top of your hand, right? It looks like you might be routing the bridle out the bottom of your hand.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'm assuming this isn't it, but...

You know that both ends of the bridle (to hand and to PC) need to come out the top of your hand, right? It looks like you might be routing the bridle out the bottom of your hand.

...or throwing the PC under your arm...
Yes...video.

Sorry it's a blow up of a still picture so no video. Sorry for the quality. Sure I always make sure I tuck the bridle into my top flap and have enough slack. If you look closely at the picture you can see the slack blowing in the breeze. Unfortunately I've never jumped an A or a S. This E is the only object (so far) in this part of the world.
Mark.

Sorry Tom. It's all done by the book and the the bridle definately comes out of the top of my hand.
Looking at my video of other jumps I think I throw the pilot chute sideways and slightly forward. On the video there is no noticable delay in pilot chute inflation but it just gives me shakes when I feel that bridle for a split second.
Mark.

Is it possible you are "swimming" with the pitch hand, after the pitch? If you give an unconscious wave of that arm after pitching, you might snag the bridle.

The bridle is just so clearly under your hand, in the photo. Without some tremendous gust of wind, I can't picture it getting there without either improper routing, poor pitch direction, or something moving after the pitch.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

In which direction are you throwing the PC?
I can´t tell from the foto, It does look like you just dropped it or threw on the same vector as the camera.
Take care,
space

i might have to send you a clip I have of a different situtation... not for general public though
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

If you have the bridle routed correctly, with enough slack (which it sounds like you do) and you've got good "head high" body position (which the picture shows) then the only possible reason I can think of for the bridle to go where it's going in that picture would be your throwing technique. You said you're throwing "sidways and slightly forward" but with a handheld deployment you should really be thorwing almost completely forward as if you're throwing a baseball. Throwing technique has been discussed at length on this board before and my experience has always been good with this technique.

If you toss your PC forward and the bridle is routed correctly, it's pretty difficult to get it wrong unless you twist your wrist when you pitch or something.

"Ignorance is bliss" and "Patience is a virtue"... So if you're stupid and don't mind waiting around for a while, I guess you can have a pretty good life!

Assuming everything is done by the book there are only two possibilities. 1. You are swimming, rolling the windows up, or other wise using arms to try to gain or maintain stability. I doubt this is the case as you look to be in a very good body position, but you never can tell from a still. 2. More likely, and I have seen this before, the double throw. You throw, but then very rapidly "throw" your arm back out to the stable position, quick enough to brush some bridle. As you jump more you will relax and relize that you can maintain stability without being "flat and stable" every second of the jump. Think in terms of a stowed jump. You will have to reach back and pitch, all while remaining stable. Of course this is all just conjecture without seeing a video, but I hope it helps.

Cya.

I see very little sideways. It looks like maybe he has thrown it more down relative to the wind vector. Though forward from his body position. I can recreate similar to this by doing the same (Throwing down).
take care,
space

Thanks for all the input. I don't think I "swim" or double throw but I will definately look much closer at my videos. My videos are not with me and I won't get to look at them for another month or so but I won't be jumping before then so hopefully I can learn something by then. I'm going to practice "throwing a baseball" in the meantime. Hopefully I'll get to see you guys at the edge one day.
Stay cool.
Mark.

I see very little sideways. It looks like maybe he has thrown it more down relative to the wind vector. Though forward from his body position. I can recreate similar to this by doing the same (Throwing down).

Throwing down is definitely bad. I've seen a couple of bridle over type malfunctions (and one actual knot tied into the bridle) from throwing "down" into the relative wind.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

My best guess is you're throwing the PC to the side, similar to throwing something out your car window. I'm guessing this based on the relative position of the PC to your body. You're also throwing it down a bit, resulting in the wrap around your fingers. As Tom mentioned, many strange PC mals have resulted from pitching down (like Donk's knot in his bridle at RG)

Solution is to gently throw (or release) the PC in front of you rather than to the side.

....or you can just go stowed! ;)
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

(I'm going to practice "throwing a baseball" in the meantime.)

Think of throwing a "Dart" instead of a baseball.

Think of throwing a "Dart" instead of a baseball.

Yeah, I guess that's a bit more accurate. I was going to refer to throwing a football, but then we'd probably get into some kind of "American wussy" football vs. soccer, rugby, etc. discussion.:S Everybody knows how to drink and throw darts though.

"Ignorance is bliss" and "Patience is a virtue"... So if you're stupid and don't mind waiting around for a while, I guess you can have a pretty good life!

(Everybody knows how to drink and throw darts though.)

That's for sure!!B|

The dart thing was something someone told me when I started and it has always stuck with me.:)