base428

Jon Dragan Hospitalized (Bridge Day Water Rescue Leader)

Hello guys. This is Josh Dragan, Jon's son. Thanks for all of the kind words about my father, guys. My dad & I have pulled many of you out of the New River over the years. My father was a special person and I know he enjoyed working with you all and that Bridge Day was near & dear to his heart. Despite all of the rumors that circulated around the state and the country (he made the ticker on CNN), he died on Saturday, February 12th at 8:33 AM. He was 62. The rest of the family & I will miss him dearly. He went way before his time. We hope to be back picking people up this fall if you guys will have us. Bridge Day 2005 is in the process of being dedicated to him and we are grateful to all for making this possible. Thanks so much for your support, prayers and well wishes. He's in a better place. Keep the family in your prayers and we hope to see you in the Fall.

Sincerely,

Josh Dragan

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. I'm very young in BASE and never had the pleasure of meeting your dad in either a rescue or a more casual setting, but I listened intently to his safety briefing this past BD. Glad to hear efforts are underway to recognize his contributions by dedicating this year's event and I hope you'll be up there giving the briefing in his place.
Sincerely,
-C.

I just got back from Jon's memorial service. The church was packed full at least 30 minutes before the service even started. Many people had to hang out in the basement because there was no room. There were hundreds of people including the NPS, Bridge Day Commission members, and even a TV crew. Bill Bird, my wife Jennifer, and I attended.

I was amazed by all the things Jon accomplished in his life. I had no idea he actually bought a railroad and even a locomotive and was actively hauling things along the RR tracks close to Fayetteville. I never knew Jon went to Antartica, or that he rafted from Tibet into China, or that he helped coordinate water rescue for two major motion pictures. I'm sure there were many things that I wasn't aware of about Jon, but I'm thankful for all the help he's given me and the BASE community. As one person said at the service - "it's not the number of possessions or accomplishments in life that he'll be remembered for, but the number of friends he made along the way".

Probably the funniest thing heard at the service was the fact that in the late 1960's, the Fayetteville locals told him that he'll kill all his clients if he were to start a rafting business on the New River. And now there have been more than 5 million rafters in the New River area. They said Jon saw something that nobody else in the area was able to see.

Bridge Day 2005 will be named after Jon, by the way. Even our new Governor Joe Manchin sent a letter to the Dragan family and it was read at the service.

Bill Bird and I each have a small container of Jon's ashes. Jon will be making his first BASE jump from the New River Gorge Bridge this October as we release his ashes in freefall.

Local Newspaper Articles about Jon:
http://www.bridgeday.info/images/Jon_Dragan_v1.jpg
http://www.bridgeday.info/images/Jon_Dragan_v2.jpg
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Bill Bird and I each have a small container of Jon's ashes. Jon will be making his first BASE jump from the New River Gorge Bridge this October as we release his ashes in freefall.

That's a nice touch. :)
Were there many jumpers there or was it mainly invites ?

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

The memorial service was open to anyone and everyone who wanted to attend. Word of mouth and the articles in the newspapers spread the news about the service. There was a total of 494 people taht signed the guestbooks. I'm sure that didn't cover everyone though. I'm soory on behalf of the family for everyone that came and had to be re-routed to the basement. We figured on maybe 150-200 people but never imagined 500. We overwhelmed by everyone's thought, prayers and attendance. We had no idea that dad touched so many people's lives! Please continue to keep everyone in your thoughts and prayers.

Josh

Josh, and Dragan family, it was our honor to be able to pay our respects to such a great man as your father. the base community does not have any idea how much jon has helped (with bridgeday) almost everytime i came to town your father and i met for lunch and discussed bridge day, and his latest venture. knowing your dads brothers and crews , i am sure glad you folks will be carring on his legacy on the river. bridge day just wouldnt be the same without ya!!! It is my deepest regrets in the loss of your father, brother ,husband, and my friend, life as we knew it will never be the same!! GODSPEED JON DRAGAN you have touched many of our lives, thanks for being our friend!!
respectfully,
bill bird

BIll:

Thanks for the kind words. He really enjoyed Bridge Day and it was a great way for all of the family jumpers and Dragans alike to get together and have some fun. To you BIll and all of the base jumpers - THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR PRAYERS AND CONDOLENCES! Dad is gonna miss you all. He always thought you guys were the centerpiece in bridge day and were a big part of what it is. Hopefully, we'll see you all in October! Godspeed and best wishes.

Josh Dragan