base428

Jon Dragan Hospitalized (Bridge Day Water Rescue Leader)

I just got word that Jon Dragan had two strokes on Monday. If you've been to Bridge Day, you would remember him as the guy who gave the water rescue briefing at the jumper meetings on Friday night. They are saying Jon might not make it. Prayers are needed.

A pic of Jon is attached.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Bummer. When I wrote a proposal to the BDC in 2000 Jon was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Jon has been there since the beginning of BD and has supported base thoroughly.

Many do not know that Jon and his brother are the guys who basically created the whitewater rafting industry in WV. He is a pioneer in his sport and a great guy to have at BD. We are pulling for you Jon!

Tree

Jon is a Bridge Day treasure. And ultimately responsible for rescuing more BASE jumpers than anyone else on the planet . . .

My good thoughts are with you, Jon.

NickD
BASE 194

Jason,

If you have an address for well wishes (or condolences, if that becomes appropriate), could you post it?

I think it would be nice if a bunch of jumpers could send cards. So I'll start.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I just talked to Jon's wife, Melanie. He opened his eyes briefly today, but things are still not going very well apparently. She mentioned that they tried to life flight him to Morgantown earlier in the week, but it was delayed due to bad weather.

Jon is apparently not conscious at this time. He is at Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown, West Virginia. Ruby is one of the best hospitals in the state. Phone number is 304-598-4000. He is in CCU#3. I'm going to try and visit him either tonight or Friday, as I'll be in the area then. So if you want me to send him or his family any messages, just post them here and I'll make sure they get a copy. More info later....
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Good vibes and high hopes for Jon's recovery, wishes that his doctor and medical science will prevail.....

Jon and his crew have saved me twice..

Just let him know we dont forget that.
CHICKEN MAN
BASE 954

Jason thanks for posting this, John & friends saved me once:P
I've always enjoyed his briefing's at BD !
He's one of the good guys !

Thoughts and prayers for him and his family
Is it Bridge Day Yet ? :-)

I just got this email from Fayetteville:

They have taken Jon off the ventilator and he is breathing on his own. Also he has opened his eyes and seems to be able to focus. Please continue to lift your thoughts and prayers.

I've been plucked out of the river twice by Jon and his crew, and have always been very grateful for the work they perform.

Please give my best wishes to Jon's wife and family and tell them that we are all sending healing energy and good vibes their way.

Thanks, Jason, for doing what you do.

Peace,
K

Jon passed away last night. He was an organ donor, so they are currently working on getting his organs to others. The family said their goodbyes last night. The fact that Jon might be helping others by donating his organs is very comforting.

More details as I get them. Funeral will be Tues or Wed in Oak Hill.

He was a great guy and will be greatly missed. Here is a pic from his Bridge Day 2004 speech to the crowd.

Rest in Piece, John. You gave greatly of yourself to a group of people who you had no need to help. Your efforts were greatly appreciated, and your selflessness was an example to be followed.

Jason, I'd like to send a card to the family, if there is an appropriate address to do so.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Working on it. I'll post the address here shortly.

I'd like to send a card to the family, if there is an appropriate address to do so.

Jon is going to get the first posthumous "BASE Fellowship Award" and I'm now kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Someone please PM me an address for where I can send it.

NickD
BASE 194

Condolences to his family and wide circle of friends.

What year did Jon begin dragging folks out of the river on BD?

Condolences to his family and friends.

Though I never met you, you helped us all in many ways.

RIP
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Cards, letters, etc. can be sent to Jon's wife at:

Melanie Dragan
2 Thurmond Station
Thurmond, WV 25936

also:

Jon A. Dragan Memorial Scholarship Fund
c/o Leadership Fayette County
310 Oyler Avenue
Oak Hill, WV 25901

The family has requested donations to the scholarship fund listed above in lieu of flowers.

I believe Jon has always done the water rescue since it began in 1984.

What year did Jon begin dragging folks out of the river on BD?

Thanks Jason. If they need anything please post it here. Our community needs to be self contained and that is what Jon was helping us with.

Jon and a little later Chris Dragon have been some of our best friends at B Day since at least 84. In 82 and 83, we had kayaks and rubber rafts with orrs. In 83, after the first B Day fatality was a drowning, we used Jon's motorized rafts and experts to rescue us. Never had a problem after that with drowning. Jon was the best and always liked the BASE jumpers. I guess exciting sports ran in Jon's blood too. My best to the family and Thanks Jon for all you did in those formative years of B Day to make sure we got it right.
Rick Harrison