Gabo

Is this considered a Base Jump ?

There's also a photo of him about 6 feet off the deck, just before impact. I'm sure it's floating around on the internet somewhere.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

There is also film footage of it. I have a copy that is about 2MB shows launch and impact.

Crazy............
SabreDave

The Freefall Extreme DVD has the footage including the spectators measuring the depth of the divot after they removed the body...pretty gruesome...looks like someone jumping holding on to a bedspread.

Not a BASE jump if you consider that for a BASE jump the 'canopy' must be packed (assuming that photo shows set-up at time of launch).

The only thing worse than a cold toilet seat is a warm toilet seat.

Hell Ya... It's a BASE jump if........

You think sewing and tying on a, ... XXXXL- Armani Suit & a Two-Man Tent to your body.
Then Flailing to your Death.

A BASE JUMP......:D

Daylight jump off a high profile object with the press in attendance - was he sponsored by Red Bull? :D

Not a BASE jump if you consider that for a BASE jump the 'canopy' must be packed (assuming that photo shows set-up at time of launch).

Interesting standpoint.
So what if Jeb decides to land his wingsuit, and does it well, and he does this by jumping of a big cliff (landing on the water).
Would this 'chuteless' cliff-jump and succesfull landing suddenly not be a basejump anymore?

(all hypothetical...but seems like a fun discussion)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Would this 'chuteless' cliff-jump and succesfull landing suddenly not be a basejump anymore?

The first time I did a McCutaway (McConkey, then cut away and deploy second rig), Yuri told me quite firmly that it was not a BASE jump. Since I didn't leave the cliff with my rig packed, and when I did use a packed rig, I didn't leave an object, I didn't qualify. Of course, the next thing he said was, "but if you had fun, who cares?" ;)
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Of course, the next thing he said was, "but if you had fun, who cares?"

Ahh, true very true! Just like my paraglider jumps. What the hell are they?
Whatever they are, they're fun!;)

The first time I did a McCutaway (McConkey, then cut away and deploy second rig), Yuri told me quite firmly that it was not a BASE jump. Since I didn't leave the cliff with my rig packed, and when I did use a packed rig, I didn't leave an object, I didn't qualify. Of course, the next thing he said was, "but if you had fun, who cares?" ;)

Sounds like a very brief skydive to me:P
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Since I didn't leave the cliff with my rig packed, and when I did use a packed rig, I didn't leave an object, I didn't qualify.

I would definitely log that as a BASE jump. I log my rollovers as BASE jumps because oftentimes, they're every bit as dangerous and complicated as a BASE jump.

On Spans, rollovers are pretty simple and carefree but on cliffs you need to be very aware of conditions and body position. Most hazards are the same as if you were exiting the cliff with a packed rig.

Since the McCutaway involved a rollover from a cliff (which I consider to be a BASE jump) then everything that happens between the time your feet leave the cliff to the time you land, I consider to be a part of that same BASE jump.

That's my logic. But, I log my jumps for future reference and my personal enjoyment. I have nothing to prove to anyone except myself so it doesn't matter to me if someone thinks I'm logging my jumps wrong.

I think ground launching and paraglider jumps would go into separate logbooks. The ground launching would deserve its own log and paraglider jumps go into my skydiving logbook regardless of the gear used or exit altitude.

Just my humble opinion.

I think ground launching and paraglider jumps would go into separate logbooks.

Even though I haven't added anything into since November, I started a Ground Launching log book. I mean Ground Launching is Ground Launching. It's not a BASE jump, nor is it a skydive. Oh and I totally agree with you that my log books are for my reference, not for anyone else.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

After about 300 scuba dives I gave up on log books in general.
That's one reason why after over 250 skydives I still only have my A license.

Russell,

My advice is to log your BASE jumps. I started out not logging and now I have about 100 jumps that I can't recall details of. I can remember unusually cool jumps, and scary close calls, but I have jumped with a lot of people I can't remember. When I'm flipping through my logbook trying to find soemthing, I always stop on the jump that I PCA'd you on in Twin Falls. Never fails to inspire me and bring a smile to my face.

What got me logging again was having some people I know go in. I wished I could go back and read about the jumps we'd done together. If I have any more friends taken by this sport it will be nice to sit on the couch, pop open a beer, read about all the good times we shared, and shed some tears.

As for skydiving... that's an entirely different story.

Up to you, but I think it's fully worth the time.

I agree with Dexter, keep your logbook and put every jump in there. I have balloon jumps in my log book that don't count as BASE jumps so they don't have numbers, but I used my BASE gear so I logged them for the data.

When I was still only a skydiver I took a ride in an aerial stunt plane. I had never seen the horizon do so many flips and rolls except when I was in freefall and flailing, so I put that flight in my skydiving logbook without a number also. I was wearing a pilot's rig and got to fly the plane. It wasn't a skydive but it was noteworthy, so into the logbook it went.

Remember, when you go to write your book, those details will come in very handy! Just ask Nick... :)

Peace,
K

-----------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------
:)who jump Sorcer and cutaway the main BASE rig and open the second BASE rig shouldn't cout that as BASE jump even though they survived?! Od but B|B|
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

I agree with Dexter, keep your logbook and put every jump in there. I have balloon jumps in my log book that don't count as BASE jumps so they don't have numbers, but I used my BASE gear so I logged them for the data.

exactly.. i do the same,how ever i havnt been freefalling or any thing the last 6 months that wasnt an object:ph34r:

You got a point Robert.....

Stay safe
Stefan Faber