didone

help needed ordering a new main

I have 45 jumps now and I am currently jumping a Sabre 170 rented from my local DZ.
I recently purchased a used Vector III Micron w/ Cypress and PDR 143 fitted in, but no main.
Upon advice from my instructor I am about to order a Sabre2 150, but as I am not very experienced I am fairly puzzled by the options:
Should I choose Slinks, #3.5 Mini-links or #5 stainless steel links?
And also 525 lb dacron, 550 lb microline or 825 lb microline?
What is the *real* difference between the various options?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Diego

Slinks.

They're stronger then the metal links, they now also come with "bumpers" that look like pilgram hats, that'll keep your slider up off your toggles.

As a side note. Have you jumped a Sabre2? Have you jumped a Sabre2 150? If not, you really might want to demo one before you plunk down your hard earned cash. Especially since you never know, you might find that its not the canopy for you, or not the right size for you.

If you call up PD and ask for Kolla, she'll square away a demo for you.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

For the line type I'd choose the 825lb Microline (Spectra) unless you have some sort of neck or back injury that you're REALLY protective of, then the Dacron might be an option. If you did select Dacron you'd need to make sure the canopy was going to fit in the container as the Dacron packs up REALLY big. The 525 Microline (Spectra) is not really a great option as it wears faster, the only advantage is reduced drag, and that's not something you'll have to worry about.

As for the link type, slinks are nice if you need to pull the slider down behind your head, and they are low maintenance, The now come with bumpers that you can add to prevent the slider from descending below the tops of your risers. Id recommends these for you. Metal links work fine, but quite often you may have to replace the silicon bumpers that prevent the slider grommets from being damaged by them. It's not hard or expensive to do. The Link size depends on your weight I think the 3.5's are fine for your application. #5's will be necessary if you choose Dacron, as it is much thicker.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

How much do you weigh?

825 Microline. In short: The dacron is pretty bulky for such a small canopy. The 550 is very small and needs to be replaced more often.

Slinks or S.S. Links? Personal preference. The slinks will allow you to pull the slider down behind your head. Both need to be maintenanced in their own special way ;)

I usually start new jumpers off with hard links. But soft links are becoming so much the "norm" at our drop zone, that everyone is familiar with maintenance and installation. So there is no reason a new jumper here shouldn't choose slinks.

You should look around your dz. See what other people are using. Talk to your rigger. Make sure you have someone who can install and show you how to maintain them.

PM me if you have any more specific questions about each type of link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I usually start new jumpers off with hard links

Why?

Installation is a snap, the instructions are basically idiot proof.

They're stronger then rapid links/metal links.

If they fail, they fail on opening and completely fail, instead of bending and possibly holding your lines, possibly creating a very dangerous situation.

They have bumpers to keep them on top of your risers, now.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

what did you jump before the sabre 2 170? it sounds as though you only have a few jumps on a 170 and want to downsize to a 150.

if you weigh 200 pounds out the door, jumping a 150 is a bit aggressive for someone with 45 jumps....

have you considered sticking with a 170? i know the logic is that you'll save money by just purchasing the 150 now, but comparing canopy costs and doctors bills could be a huge difference... just a thought.

arlo

if you weigh 200 pounds out the door, jumping a 150 is a bit aggressive for someone with 45 jumps....

have you considered sticking with a 170?

As a matter of facts I am not downsizing, I am only considering buying a new 150 main. I will jump it only when my instructors will clear me and when I will feel confident with it :P
For the time being yes, my plans are to stick to a 170 for a while.

dude, i weigh about 200 lbs, and i have around 300 jumps and guess what, i still dont feel ready to jump a 150 as my normal canopy (and yes i'm very current, have good canopy contol skills and have jumped that high, and higher of a wingloading before) take the advice of somebody whos been there, you wont be ready for a long while

if i had to do it all over again, id buy a used sabre2 170 then in a couple hundred jumps when your ready sell it for almost as much as you paid for it. then get the 150

What's the hurry anyway? ;)
Try demoing a few different canopies before you buy. Or try to demo at least the canopy you're going to buy...
Also good to try: Pilot and Electra.

And I agree with Arlo's advice. Not from my own expertise, but from all the advice I got for downsizing. I'm also 200lbs and most people I talked too considered 150 a bit too small for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I usually start new jumpers off with hard links

Why?

Because sight unseen, I don't know what the newer jumpers environment is. If he is jumping at a DZ that is unfamiliar with slinks, then it might be better to start off with what the senior jumpers in his area are familiar with.

You say the instructions are idiot proof.... well.... guess what? I've seen them hooked up incorrectly. I intercepted.

Our DZ is almost completely converted to slinks. But some of the rural DZs are not very familiar with them.

I usually have an in depth conversation with potential customers to get a feel for what their specific needs are. If I am not going to be there to hook up his slinks, I want to know that someone who is qualified can guide the jumper through installation and proper maintenance. Like if the tab moves to the side. Shaping/massaging the slink for the first 10 - 15 jumps to prevent this from happening, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

approx 200 lb out the door.

No, I never tried a Sabre2 150. I jumped several times a sabre 170. I am looking for something not *too* aggressive but still fun to fly: givin' it a try before buying might be a good idea.

Thanks,
Diego

A Sabre2 150 @ 200lbs is *too* aggressive. There is a lot to learn and experience at this stage of your learning curve. Better to do that under the larger wing. In fact, I probably would of picked a 190 for you. But I would say, stick with the 170 for a couple hundred jumps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Or try the Pilot 168 from Aerodyne. It is a very nice canopy and a lot cheaper then the Sabre 2. They are both great. But the Pilot is a little less agressive then the Sabre2.

I will through this out there as well. I don't think you should buy a 150 right now. It is very very hard not to jump your own gear if you have it. I would hate to see you hurt yourself because you didn't have money to rent that weekend or you just decided to stop "throwing money away " on a rental. Be careful and don't try and rush it. If you called me on the phone to buy a 150 I wouldn't even sell it to you. Maybe if your instructor called me and had it sent right to his house and he promised to keep it away from you for a year at least!
Dom

I hope you know, no one is trying to flame you. Arlo, GravityGirl, dgskydive and diablopilot do this for a living, sell gear that is. Listen to them, they have nothing to gain and you have everything to lose. jmo
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I hope you know, no one is trying to flame you

yes I know, and I'd like to thank all the guys here that gave me sound advice (even in pm - thanks dgskydive).

I now realize that I'd better think about it well down the road ... and demo something before

BTW: I would not be allowed to jump it anyway

Thanks,
Diego