veter_

What did they try to do?

To me it looks like 2 guys jumped off one with a second parachute. they had a line going from the second jumper to his second parachute. cutaway and that line static lined his second parachute.

just a guess

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

I watched this jump from above. I've got video from roughly the same angle as the stills, but I'll have to dig it up if this isn't clear enough. Here's the basic idea:

Two jumpers are connected by a rope.

They both do simultaneous TARD jumps. Now they are both under canopy, still connected by the rope.

One jumper cuts away his canopy. Now he is hanging from the rope, connected to the other jumper.

The lower (hanging) jumper then cuts away from the rope, and goes back into freefall.

The lower jumper then deploys a second canopy from a packed rig.

In the case you have stills of, the second jumper ended up too low. In my opinion, had he not had a tree under him to break his fall (by catching the still inflating parachute) he probably would not have survived.

The same two jumpers repeated the jump later in the day, with a significantly better outcome (no need for the tree to save the lower guy's life).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Yo,

I watched the first attempt from the exit point, and agree with Tom here, had there not been a tree to snag the jumper, I believe it would've resulted in a fatality.

I noticed on the first attempt what looked like the lower jumper deploying a SLIDER UP rig after she cut away from the rope....I did not witness the second, successful attempt. Was the lower jumper packed SLIDER DOWN this time and did that make a difference.....also I believe they staggered their TARD exits a bit more on the second one according to the TRIX snipp I saw....no???
Thanks
Blair

Thanks, Tom! :)
So they allow dangerous stunts like this at Bridge Day? I thought BD was kind of "BASE in a sandbox" event.

See it on the DVD's produced by Triax. The Red Bull Airforce Jumps from 6 different angles. Plus all the other crazy stuff.

BD DVD's available now at

www.triaxproductions.com

So they allow dangerous stunts like this at Bridge Day? I thought BD was kind of "BASE in a sandbox" event.

I recommend you ask Jason for the official position on this.

I ain't touchin' that question with a 10' pole.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recommend you ask Jason for the official position on this.

I ain't touchin' that question with a 10' pole.

:ph34r::D:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

damn Dave, that was quick!

this thread was already getting what happened wrong

so I thought if a picture is worth a thousand words, a video has to be worth a few keystrokes and touchpad hits...

enjoy, everybody

edited for spelling

soon to be gone

...this thread was already getting what happened wrong...

What did the thread have wrong? To me, the video pretty much looks like it matches up to the accounts given in the thread.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

this are 2 different kind of jumps...
at the second one what system he used to cutaway the rope?

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

I think that the difference was that in the 2nd one, the bottom guy just went straight to the rope, rather than TARDing a canopy.

The rope cutaway system is essentially a 3 ring. You take a riser and attach it to the rope (where it would normally attach to the lines). Then you wear a climbing harness with a big carabiner clipped in to it. You set the 3 rings up with the carabiner as the bottom ring. Then you just cut away the riser with a handle (which you can attach to the riser, so you don't lose it).

It's the same system you use for a rope swing from an object. It's just that here the "object" is the other jumper under canopy.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

...this thread was already getting what happened wrong...

What did the thread have wrong? To me, the video pretty much looks like it matches up to the accounts given in the thread.

Hi Tom.

I base my statement on these:

Maxim:

To me it looks like 2 guys jumped off one with a second parachute. they had a line going from the second jumper to his second parachute. cutaway and that line static lined his second parachute.

just a guess

No static line involved, he did qualify it as a guess, though.

Tom Aiello:

The same two jumpers repeated the jump later in the day, with a significantly better outcome (no need for the tree to save the lower guy's life).

This makes it sound like they did pretty much the same jump, whereas they changed a lot of things for the 2nd jump.

Cvfd1399:

If you diddn't almost die before try try again huh lol.

This isn’t really fair, as S&M changed a lot of things for the 2nd jump, rather than just repeat and hope to get lucky again.

Blair700:

I noticed on the first attempt what looked like the lower jumper deploying a SLIDER UP rig after she cut away from the rope....I did not witness the second, successful attempt. Was the lower jumper packed SLIDER DOWN this time and did that make a difference.....also I believe they staggered their TARD exits a bit more on the second one according to the TRIX snipp I saw....no???

M was packed slider up on the 1st jump.
There was only one person going TARD the 2nd time.
I can’t tell for sure from the video, but it looks like S was packed slider up the 2nd time.

I might be nit-picking the details and one might argue I am going on about semantics, but the thread was not resembling what I saw all that well, IMHO.

see you around
sam

soon to be gone

i saw both from the landing area...
first one went way too low for slider up. for sure the trees saved mans ass...

second one was nice...

www.pete.fi
[email protected]

Dangerous stunts? Isn't everything from 9am-3pm at Bridge Day dangerous?

Anything out of the "normal" needs to be OK'd by me beforehand. Jumps such as the Red Bull rope swings had to be OK'd with the NPS, since the NPS takes the lead role with the Bridge Day Commission regarding the type of jumps we perform. For example, Russel Metlitsky's special jump was also discussed with the "higher ups" and we built him a special platform for his exit.

If you have an interesting jump you'd like to perform at Bridge Day, then I highly recommend you contact me about it. I would love to see more cool jumps take place. It just so happens that the Red Bull guys contacted me in early 2003 regarding this stunt and it was OK'd. So feel free to ask me about any of your special jumps - more than likely you'll be able to do them!

Cya.

PS. BASE in a sandbox? NOT! Bridge Day has probably had more crazy jumps than any other object (first tandem 1984, landing a Mr. Bill into the river in 2002, double Mr. Bill in 2002, tons of BASE CRW, wingsuit bridge jump in 2000, jumpers in boxes, and for many years the biggest group jumps in the sport....). I guess jumper stress builds up during the year.

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Sounds great to me, Jason! :)
The most dangerous stunt I can do for now is to make my first jump ;)

Glad to see all you crybabies still talking about us! I guess Miles D really is WORLD FAMOUS!
I did my very best to kill that bastard at Bridge Day but he's a talanted tree climber. I'll get him next time I swear.
Shane McConkey "The World's Greatest Base Jumper"

must say it looked more cool as you did it..

anyway i guess placed Miles in the tree to get a new canopy... :ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber