SullyFlyer

Slider up Line-over (self-clearing)

(Everone on this jump is fine and everything went great, the following could have been much worse)

Recently me and 2 others jumped from about 1000ft. One guy went first and me and the other person did a 2-way after. When the first jumper went (lets call him "Brit") the left side of his canopy slid open kinda slow(an extra 1/4 second) and I recognized it right away as a self-clearing line-over.

This was of real interest to me because I helped him pack it. We packed it slow and neat (neater than I've done in 100 jumps).

The set-up was:
36in F111 PC with plastic handle on 9ft bridle and Black Jack 260, bottom vents but no ZP (wing loaded ~0.7:1) in a gargoule with dyno-corners.
4 second delay from 1000ft.

We took a loose wrap on the slider (fine-mesh), and a loose wrap at the tail-pocket.

The line-over didn't catch so it's no big deal but I thought people might want to hear this report.

PM me for more details and please wear a hook-knife.

-Bill

~
Fear is the thief of dreams...

The line-over didn't catch so it's no big deal but I thought people might want to hear this report.

>>I saw video recently of a self-clearing slider-up lineover, and I observed something interesting. At first, the line-over'd canopy seemed pretty tame and maybe landable, turning slowly. But then the jumper released the brakes, and the canopy took off, rotating wildly, faster and faster until the line cleared at almost the last second.

>>My question is, if you don't have a hook-knife (or you drop it) and you have a slider-up line-over, is it better to try and stop the turn using risers/lines and land what you have, or pop the toggles and try and clear it? I realize one should jump with a hook-knife and either way you're in trouble, but I was curious what people think.

Yo,
No idea why the lineover happened, but my experience tells me that a larger PC for that delay would have helped the opening sequence....however given you could take it all the way down, I would say 5-7 seconds with a 38"ZP would be my 'ideal' setup from that altitude. And again, hopefully improve the opening sequence and reduce the chance of the L/O.
But FWIW, I don't have but a handful of jumps total, and the sites I've jumped usually don't fall into that height.
My .5centz
Later
Blair

Loose wraps, that bothers me. so does doing a 4 slider up with a 36". I don´t know iffin it had anything to do with the LO, but I´da done it different. I wouldn´t feel comfy doing a 4 in that config. super neat packs seem to open freaky for some strange reason in my experience.
take care,
space

Where did you put the Break lines in reference to the stabilizer?

Do you pull out the stabilizer and put the break lines well inside?

And me too would have put a 38' for that delay.

Yeah, these are all good points. We were going to jump from higher, but day was coming. Even from that alti, the jumper was going to take 5 sec. but you know how 4 seconds sometimes feels like 10 sec when the ground-rush sets in.

I think I would have wrapped the primary and secondary line controls tighter, but I didn't like the color rubber bands he was using...

So it seems like there was a bunch of things that may have lead up to this almost-malfunction. All of which I was comfortable with in and of them self, but added up make me cringe just a little.

Thanks for the input everyone, and be aware of the little things - they add up fast.

~
Fear is the thief of dreams...

YO t'was I who was attached to the wrong end of the nylon on that day and it was my first A. the pack job looked awesome when we did it (Cheers Bill !!) and from my perspective the opening looked perfect.

however the other two people saw what i did not. i did go a little head down on exit but am reasonably sure that my position on deployment was ok....

I dispute my colleagues count of 4:)

anyway the biggest lesson learnt for me that long night was to give up smokin. that ladder was too long.

Nice one Bill we had a blast!!! get over to europe this summer you will dig norway.

D