BASE813

Camera Helmets

Now I have at last bought myself a new camera (a cheeky little PC330) - I am looking to get a camera helmet - Can anyone suggest a decent camera helmet (top mount or side mount) that also offers some reasonable head protection.........

How is the head protection? I've been a bit dissappointed in the protection offered by many skydiving helmets. They seemed more designed to protect you from flailing limbs and hard docks than real impact, in some cases.

I've particularly noticed a lack of protection at the back of the head, and a tendency to use light "cushion" foam, instead of heavy "padding" foam.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I have not seen any crash tests with them but I had a demo for a while until I had to unwillingly send it to the dealer in the states and can vouch for the quality. They are made from 100% Carbon Fiber with the Quality Padding(non-yellow open cell) and cover the back of your head as well as the other large brands.

Unfortunately I was still broke for an afore mentioned reason and didn't get to jump it. I know, however, that many of the huckers here wear them and like them. Maybe I will get to jump one of them in the near future when it gets warm enough for my warm blooded ass, I.E. Less than three feet of snow in the valley. If you have seen any of the Current BASE Town Media Vids you will be able to see some of them in action. So to make a long story short I have not BASE'd one but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

With a little ingenuity you can mount a helmet to anything!
As far as head protection goes, check out a paragliding helmet,they are sturdy and light,no face shield either.
cheers,~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

There are virtually no skydiving helmets on the market that offer any "real" head protection--ie: distributing the force applied to the shell in a "critical impact" situation to the helmet instead of the head/brain. To date, the closest you'll find is a ProTec. Far and away the best helmet for head protection COMMONLY used in skydiving/BASE.

Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, etc. Doesn't mean SHIT. It's the LINER that makes a helmet good, not the shell. If you're concerned with a high-quality helmet from a PROTECTION standpoint, I'd get a protec and build a camera helmet out of it. Otherwise, I'd look into the MTB/Ski/Snowboard/MX markets to try and adapt something there. If you don't mind the size, look into adapting a full-face MX/MTB helmet that is DOT or SNELL rated to work for jumping.

In short, ProTec is still the best compromise for your dollar or pound or Euro or whatever).
pope

so would people say that you are going to compromise head protection for a decent snag protection camera mount?

I have seen people with protecs etc with camera mounts and they look horrible with definate snag factors, but the helmets with decent mounts I am questioning whether they give decent head protection - which is why i posted this.

I like the look of the full face enclosed side mount helmet (skysystems (i think)) and the bonehead optik or bonehead M3T but not sure about the camera mount options on this..........

anyone have thoughts of those?

I have a friend who knows how to sculpt carbon fiber and some other surfaces like that. He's able to take a bonehead (or whatever helmet you like) with a "snag prone" camera mount, and sculpt a cover around both pieces so that it's smooth and snagless. You might see if you could just find someone who could do that custom with whatever helmet you prefer. I know I've talked to guys who do that kind of thing for cars (usually for custom interior detailing and what not) and found that their rates were actually very reasonable (especially compared with the cost of a new camera helmet).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tom, where would you look such a thing up in the phone book at? I'm wanting to have some custom camera mounts made and my skill at fiberglass/carbon fiber is on par with a 5 year old. :$
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I just went to automotive places. Not auto part stores, and not mechanics, but rather the guys who put on graphics, install stereos, that kind of thing. The first place I went to didn't do it, but knew exactly who in town did. Apparently there's a segment of the car market where the in thing is having carbon fiber dashboards, door panels and what not, so the guy I found had lots of experience forming custom shapes to fit cars.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I have a friend who knows how to sculpt carbon fiber and some other surfaces like that. He's able to take a bonehead (or whatever helmet you like) with a "snag prone" camera mount, and sculpt a cover around both pieces so that it's smooth and snagless. You might see if you could just find someone who could do that custom with whatever helmet you prefer. I know I've talked to guys who do that kind of thing for cars (usually for custom interior detailing and what not) and found that their rates were actually very reasonable (especially compared with the cost of a new camera helmet).

nice one........ sometimes some of us forget to think outside of the box...................

A friend of mine has been doing her own camera mount for a warlock or similar.

Cameras are expensive and if not treated right can be broken easy. I would suggest to make a plaster cast of the camera and give that with your helmet. My friend placed the camera in a plastic bag, then dunked it in playdough. After this she filled the hole in the playdough with plaster of paris and then waited for it to set. Worked out suprisingly well as something to work with and work around. And her camera is safe from the evil clutches of fibreglass, paint and the like.

what about them ski/snowboard helmets. im looking at some at this point. they look like they give more protection but still keep down the weight.. and theyre cheaper than most of the crap "helmets" we can get in skyworld.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

what about them ski/snowboard helmets.

I like them. For overall protection, I think I like some of the mountain biking helmets the best.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

did you try to mount a cam on thouse??
did it work out?
hard shell somtimes dont like if you drill holes into it(like it could crak=ruin the helmet)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

did you try to mount a cam on thouse??

Nope. Pro-Tec's take camera mounts very well, though, and although I've never used this particular helmet, for example, it looks like it's cheap, offers good protection, and with some shell work ought to be easy to make snagless (and with a camera mount, if you wanted).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

www.Skyhelmets.de is a good site for some great helmets at a great price. ALL CARBON FIBER!!:)
There are also the other obvious choices.:)

for some reason that web page does not work for me

thanks

Neither of the Skyhelmets.de pages works for me in Safari. Both work fine in Internet Explorer. You might try switching browsers.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Ah Yes! I just tried it in Mozilla and it didn't work either. I think these browsers block transfers.

Yeah, even with my User Agent Switcher on Mozilla to fool sites I am using a different system it still does not work - oh well over to IE to have a look...........

Many thanks

I'm going to order a Dainese D-Raptor helmet. It's fullface, carbon fiber, and weighs 950 grams which, I believe, is lighter than the ProTec Ace. Dainese makes stuff for impact protection and this particular model is a mountain biking helmet.

It costs about $250, which is about $61 cheaper than an Oxygn A3 which offers little protection for impacts. The D-Raptor covers the whole back of your head also, where the A3 stops above the occipital bone.

I'll let you all know what I think of it after I've jumped it and rammed into some stuff around the house a bit;).

what about them ski/snowboard helmets

I have a Pro-Tec snowboarding helmet. It's fairly lightweight but offers a LOT better impact protection than the standard Pro-Tec.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Sorry to be so late but....

http://fibrezonecomposites.com

They don't have it listed, but they have a box for a 330 that has holes in the front and the back so all you have to do is turn your camera around and you've got a rear view. ;) Pretty nice.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.