neneskydive

Differences-> Vtec or not!!!?!?!

Yo!

I just finished a down load in the www.skydivingmovies.com about a video called flik_322_comparsion.wmv
It shows 2 jumps from a span, using 2 fliks, one vented.
We can see very clearly the difference in the opening (the vented opens 0.3 sec faster in a 230 ft jump).
I will buy my first canopy on march 05 and I´m considering the possibility of a Vtec, but I will apreciate advices from more experienced jumpers.....
What do you say people???:|
What´s the differences using a vented canopy in low jumps and 5-terminal jumps???

Cya
Andre.

not doing mush slider up but all my canopyes are vtecs and i will only buy vtec(or better as it will be developed)canopyes in the future..

But i guess it depends on which kind of jumps you gonna make,most terminal,then you dont really need the vtec,both high and low,considder it and probaly buy it,only low then deafently get the vtec..

just my personaly oppinion

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I think most folks are in agreement that, all other things being equal, canopies with secondary inlets pressurize faster than those without.

(One question I have... is there any data on whether canopies with secondary inlets pressurize more evenly than those without?)

That being the case, the primary justification for having secondary inlets is if you need to have your canopy open and flying faster... i.e. on very low jumps. Other justifications include improved heading performance due to the quicker opening, and maintenence of pressurization in the event of a wall strike.

What kind of jumps do you do (or think you'll be doing) the majority of the time? If you think you'll be doing very short delay, or no delay, jumps then a canopy with secondary inlets might be a good idea.

If you're doing more terminal jumps, then you really don't need them.

(OK question #2 from me... have people seen an appreciable difference in heading performance when using inletted canopies on medium-delay slider up jumps... if so I can see these being beneficial on certain walls in Europe as well)

Leave it to me to answer your question with more questions. :S

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I used to jump a non-vented canopy for low altitude freefalls (down to 200ft), and have since bought a troll MDV - after jumping this I decided that I would not freefall my non-vented below 250 (I actually ended up selling it) - for the lower stuff I would definatly go with a vented canopy (I like the MDV system for valves)

As for terminal - people are jumping vented canopies at terminal - but having very limited terminal experience I cant say much about that..........

I forgot to write.....
Here in Brazil we have 90% objects less than 500ft, most part buildings, 2 spans and some cliffs, not high too.... [:/]:(

When I get the canopy I´ll go to perrine and moab to see what happens B|

See ya.

Cya
Andre.

hi, I would say, that vented canopies (as you call it v-tec, but afaik this is a brand name for a FOX canopy) are state of the art right now. combined with valves, they just speed up the opening a little. but this is not the effect what is really important. vented canopies are faster inflated and threrfore are faster steerable. the "flattering" of the top skin is minimized and the shape of the wing is earlier at hand, therefore it can be steered earlier. also in deep brakes, the canopy is more stable. this is all very helpful for low alt jumps and, of course, for high ones, too. the slightly harder openings can be covered by a different packing technique. I jump a troll mdv, and I will get me another one if this troll is worn out.
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

If I was buying a canopy to be used below 500 feet 90% of the time, I would certainly be buying a vented canopy.

The Flik isn't the only vented BASE canopy on the market, nor is it the best IMO. Each vented canopy will have certain flight characteristics that you will like, or love. (My personal preference is the BlackJack by Consolidated Rigging) None of the new generation of vented canopies will do anything you'll really dislike as long as you have the canopy set up properly.

My questions to you:

1. What is your BASE jumping experience (you said this will be your first BASE canopy) and how many experienced BASE jumpers do you have jumping with you? The reason I ask is that you'll need a BASE jumper, experienced with vented canopies, to watch your openings to make sure you're not having any deployment issues.

2. Are you a rigger? Will you be able to move your brake settings to dial in your openings?

Advice: Don't pick a BASE canopy based on a video of one deployment each.

Like Hajo says : buy Vented
Altitude / Height has nothing to do with it.

Vented Canopies are safer.
They fly Quicker
They stay inflated better and maintain better wing shape. Especially when you are
Shutting it down and turning it around to... Not Hit an Object.

Just because you are jumping Big wall / High jumps does not mean you wont have
a Line-Twist and be Flying Straight for the Wall when you open.
&
If you have a 180 on a no-slider jump you will be glad you have a Vented Canopy.

but....You still don't have to buy a vented Canopy if you don't want to...;)