shah269

Slider, pull down and stow.

Quick question and sadly I forgot to ask my rigger or those at my home DZ.

Yesterday was the first time I jumped my own parachute, a 210 Triathlon, it is equipped with a collapsable slider that can be pulled down.

Just want to make sure I'm flying safely.

Pull, look around quick, look up to assure all is well with the parachute, collapse slider and pull down and then do a control check?

Also how does one sow the slider behind ones head? Am I missing a trick?

Thanks!

ps
yeah she's fun! and oh my god so much better more fun and easier to land than the Navigators I was use to....but...oh wow does she "sink"
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Pull, look around quick, look up to assure all is well with the parachute, collapse slider and pull down and then do a control check?

People will argue to do a control check first, some will say what you did is fine. Both will yell at each other and call each other names, then call you names, if for no other reason than this is DZ.com. I think it is fine with that method. If you have a stuck toggle or one that is misrouted, you can still safely go through your EPs and you're not burning altitude as fast as you would have been in full flight during all of this.

Also how does one sow the slider behind ones head? Am I missing a trick?

Search for "Slocks" or "slider locks." I have some on my risers. I used to use them to keep the slider down, now I use them to keep the RDS rings from climbing the risers while diving. Some just roll up the slider and wedge the grommets in the V of the risers. Some use various bungy/magnetic systems that holds the slider down to the reserve flap. Those I'm not a fan of, and they have been argued (much like the reference above) to no end on DZ.com.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Aggie,
Thank you. I'm assuming I'm in half breaks and thus not in full flight and as such it is the best time to adjust.

The first time I did that...wow! Talk about speeding up! I did not expect how much faster the parachute flew once that 2sqft of material was stowed away.

Again thank you!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

Another option is to get slider stops and simply collapse the slider and not worry about pulling it down. I have done both and personally I prefer to simply collapse it and let it sit at the top of the stops - its less time consuming and for me much less of a hassle.
Edit to add that I seriously doubt any parachute would gain significant speed from the slider simply being stowed. More than likely that increase in sink and speed you noticed was the result of you releasing the brakes and going into full flight.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

*dooh* yeah you are 100% right. The increase in speed is most likely due to releasing the breaks.
However I landed her both ways, slider up and slider down and she just "sounded" faster. But it could just be there "sound".
Flying a full ZP canopy is nice.

Another simple trick that I use to keep my slider from catching air or moving back up once its collapsed is to twist it or roll it up a few times before I stow it behind my head.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

my procedure goes like this.
Deploy, check for other canopies, check for other canopies, check that my canopy looks good, locate Landing area. decide what I need to do to get to landing area, either turn canopy back towards landing area, or face into the wind using rear risers. Then I collapse and stow my slider, release toggles.

You want to make sure your not flying away from the DZ while you are messing around with your slider.
Yesterday I watched a novice jumper fly way down wind while he was busy stowing his slider. He ended up landing off. All he had to do was turn his canopy into the wind before stowing his slider.
But hey, we were all happy to drink the beer he had to buy for landing off.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

If you have a stuck toggle or one that is misrouted, you can still safely go through your EPs and you're not burning altitude as fast as you would have been in full flight during all of this. ...

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. Wouldn't an immediate control check allow you to uncover the stuck toogle (or other steering line issue) sooner? (And, if one has to chop, wouldn't it be better to do so with the slider up, rather than pulled down behind your head?)

The way I do it and the way I was taught was after you do all your safety and location checks I stow my slider before releasing brakes because once I have released my brakes I never let them go until i'm safely on the ground and stowing them back on my risers

Edit to add that I seriously doubt any parachute would gain significant speed from the slider simply being stowed.

If you feel the difference of speed between chest strap tight and chest strap loose than you might understand the difference...

Gotta love the difference, just bought a chest strap extension lengthening mine from 14in to 28in !! Next rig will have around a 32in chest strap lol
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Triathlons are pretty basic / docile. Collapsing your slider is all you need to do ( if that ). Flying your canopy and watching for other traffic is what you might concentrate on....So what is your new wingload now ? I haven't heard you mention it .
Life is short ... jump often.

If you have a stuck toggle or one that is misrouted, you can still safely go through your EPs and you're not burning altitude as fast as you would have been in full flight during all of this. ...

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. Wouldn't an immediate control check allow you to uncover the stuck toogle (or other steering line issue) sooner? (And, if one has to chop, wouldn't it be better to do so with the slider up, rather than pulled down behind your head?)

Sure it would allow you to find a minor malfunction like a stuck toggle sooner. However, there are a couple of things that make cleaning up your wing before going to full flight a benefit.

First of all, you're not moving through the sky at around twice the speed, in traffic, with your hands off the risers/toggles while you're stowing your slider. Secondly, chopping a canopy for a minor malfunction with a slider pulled down the risers is not a big deal. In fact it is basically a non-issue. If it is of a huge concern, push it above your head before you cut away.

Remember, this isn't a high speed malfunction, you have a little bit of time to trouble shoot. That and as someone goes higher and higher performance, doing all of this in full flight becomes a serious problem. If I cleaned up my canopy in full flight, after getting in the saddle around 4,000ft, I would be between 1000 and 2000ft by the time I got back to hands in the toggles.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

According to his profile he loads his 210 triathlon at 0.95 so rather docile

Yeah about that. And I don't think I'm ever going to go any smaller. I kind of like the slow ride down.

I pull the slider down before I release the brakes. If you pull it down with the brakes released you will pull the toggle with it turning you, possibly spinning you into line twists. I release the brakes and then my chest strap because someone died a few years back because he could not find his reserve handle after coming back from a long spot and then having a problem with a stuck toggle and having to cut away.

The sequence is: Open, clear traffic, turn into the wind, back towards the dz, whatever. Usually I am first out and right over the dz so I tun into the wind and start looking for the vidiots on their way back while I stow my slider and stuff. Then it is locate any traffic below / around / above me and get set up for landing. :)

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Assuming the jump numbers on your profile are correct, you don't need to be focusing on stowing your slider. You should be focused on canopy control and traffic from opening to landing.

I am not sure how jump numbers factor into this. Are you implying that with more jump numbers it's okay to NOT focus on the pattern?

Collapsing a slider takes maybe 3 seconds. Make sure you're clear and have a good canopy, then collapse it.

Assuming the jump numbers on your profile are correct, you don't need to be focusing on stowing your slider. You should be focused on canopy control and traffic from opening to landing.

I am not sure how jump numbers factor into this. Are you implying that with more jump numbers it's okay to NOT focus on the pattern?

Collapsing a slider takes maybe 3 seconds. Make sure you're clear and have a good canopy, then collapse it.

I'm not implying anything, and said nothing about collapsing the slider. I'm saying that at 40 jumps he should keep his attention on the important shit.

The improvement in performance from stowing the slider on a moderately loaded canopy isn't significant anyway, so why have a 40-jump wonder screwing around instead of flying the canopy and avoiding traffic? After all, stowing a slider is typically done shortly after opening - one of the prime times for "failure to see and avoid" collisions.

Collapsing the slider, sure. Getting rid of the flapping noise under canopy is actually an unintended safety feature as it allows the jumper to hear better if other jumpers yell or whistle to get the noobie's attention under canopy.

Stowing the slider, no. It only serves to divert the noob's attention and opens up a world of new problems like the slider grommets getting hung up on toggles - or worse, releasing one.

Funny how everyone replied to the OP about his question with tech talk, but no one bothered to enlighten him about the new negative possibilities of their advise.

This sport just keeps gettin' more interesting by the day....
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX