Girlfalldown

Growing cranes

I drive by these two cranes all the time and I noticed today that one of the cranes that used to be the smaller of the two is now the taller of the two. Is this possible or am I just losing my mind?

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Is this possible or am I just losing my mind?

While that is certainly possible, you are not mistaken. One of them is definately higher.

Order that range finder.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Is this possible or am I just losing my mind?

While that is certainly possible, you are not mistaken. One of them is definately higher.

Order that range finder.

It's in my hand right now.

--------------

Nice ... good luck with that one. Prime your velcro if you go for it.

Cranes do grow taller as the structure being erected gets higher. Since many of us climb around on these cranes, I looked into how they make them grow taller, and it's pretty cool.

Let's say it's a building. When the building gets to a few stories the crane is brought in by truck in twenty foot sections. They pour a small cement foundation to support the bottom of the crane and also anchor it to the side of the building. As the building grows they raise, they call it jacking, the tower up like this;

Right below the cab (the part where the crane operator sits) are four hydraulic rams that can raise the cab another twenty feet higher. The crane operator then picks up another twenty foot section and lifts it into the space created by raising the cab.

For those of us that have been up in these cabs, in the middle of the night, on very tall buildings, we can see these crane operators have one of the scarcest jobs in the world. These cranes do fail and fall over sometimes.

But, you can't beat the view . . .

In the early days the hatches that provide access from the ladder up into the bottom of the cab were seldom locked. Nowadays, they all seemed to be locked. But, I'm not sure if we had anything to do with that.:)
BTW, you don't have to climb the tower ladder from the very bottom. You get on the crane the same way the operator does. You first access the building, and then somewhere, usually about half way up, there will be a gangplank placed across the void to access the crane. Then it's the ladder the rest of the way.

Also, they do not, as a rule lock down the rotation of the horizontal boom at night. As long as it can't hit another building it's free to move with the wind. I found this out one night standing on the end of a boom, 500-feet above a big open intersection. As I was getting ready to jump the boom started to move and I had to get off fast. It's the only BASE jump I've ever done that included spotting . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Some jumpers...maneuver passed the locked cab to gain access to the horizontal boom. But, it's not a move for the faint of heart.

>>Hehehe I know some folks who do that quite regularly! :o:D

That's very cool info Nick. I had no idea!

Thanks.

:)

--------------

As I was getting ready to jump the boom started to move and I had to get off fast. It's the only BASE jump I've ever done that included spotting . . .

ha ha just got the visuals of that one.. he he nice workB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

ha ha just got the visuals of that one.. he he nice workB|

It's all about the visuals...;)
:)
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

It's the only BASE jump I've ever done that included spotting . . .

That's funny!
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Cool read.

My new favorite quote:

"You couldn't have driven a sixteen penny nail up my ass with a sledghammer."

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Aw yes...decisions, decisions, decisions...do you do the crane, or the building. Right, Hookitt?;)

They won't be there forever.

Rod

if the crane is on the building or is higher... go for the crane! or the safer jump...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

if the crane is on the building or is higher... go for the crane! or the safer jump...

Thanks,but I'd take the B probably, buildings rock!
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Aw yes...decisions, decisions, decisions...do you do the crane, or the building. Right, Hookitt?;)

Yup... missed out on a perfectly good 420' crane.

Thanks for the picture, that one was stellar. :)

I only had one with me and so did Rod. That B was pretty cool. It's unfortunate we didn't hit up the crane but that's how it goes.

By the way Tom, thanks for hooking me up with Rod's contact info back then.

Rodney, I can't wait to return the favor.

huh?

hell no its all about risk mannegement. I would probaly go for the B(if it can be jumped)B|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

...Each time it was an endless fall forward that didn't stop, followed by an endless fall backwards.

Sounds like fun to me, I should have been a T crane operator. [:/]

"Also, they do not, as a rule lock down the rotation of the horizontal boom at night. As long as it can't hit another building it's free to move with the wind."

That really is something! I thought I was crazy for a time, but then I remembered reading this, and thought, no shit, they better get to the end of that thing. It was interesting watching it move very slowly back and forth, thanks for the info Nick, it helped out last night.

Adam

yeah, they definatly move. scarry. beautiful.

Thanks kids. twas amazing.
you saved my christmas. really.

-SPACE-

Cranes are great fun.

If you want more spotting practice Nick, may I recommend a nice cable car in the French Alps. It travels above variable terrain and there is one spot where distance to impact becomes more acceptable for a multiple person exit. ;)

p.s. another thing about climbing onto crane cabins. Remember that the fact that a mechanical device had to rotate often means that lubrication is required in and around the sections that are in contact. This means that the area is often VERY greasy. This is a slip hazard and can damage / soil your gear. So wear protective clothing etc. The next important point is this - it is slippery, be ready to slip off (it has happened both accidently & deliberately ;)). Have you rig ready to deploy (p/c & canopy packed ready in case you fall off). Also try to make sure that your right hand (assuming that is the side you deply on) is free of grease if possible, because that stuff sticks to your p/c when you grab it. This can be a very unnerving feeling - trying to shake your p/c off your hand whilst falling in an unstable position not that far from mother earth.

TBBRE.GIF

Which begs the question ? Officially what does jumping from the crane satisfy, the B or the S ? It can be looked at as both, no?
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Which begs the question ? Officially what does jumping from the crane satisfy, the B or the S ? It can be looked at as both, no?

or since the wind blows THROUGH it, some would call it an "A."

others call it an "O" (for other).

it's really your call.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse