LouYoung

Length of Stay in Jail

Trespass in the US can be either civil or criminal.

Whether trepass is civil or criminal is largely a matter of intent. For example, if you enter private land not knowing its private land, you've still trepassed, but since you didn't intend to trepass it's not criminal. On the other hand if you walk right by the No Trepassing sign, you've got a criminal case of Defiant Trepass.

South Carolina Code of Laws

SECTION 10-11-10. Walking on roof of State House.

It shall be unlawful for any person, without the permission of the State Budget and Control Board or a member of that Board, to enter upon or walk upon the roof of the State House. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be punished by a fine of not more than one hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than thirty days on the public works of Richland County for each offense.

SECTION 16-11-600. Entry on another's pasture or other lands after notice; posting notice.

Every entry upon the lands of another where any horse, mule, cow, hog or any other livestock is pastured, or any other lands of another, after notice from the owner or tenant prohibiting such entry, shall be a misdemeanor and be punished by a fine not to exceed one hundred dollars, or by imprisonment with hard labor on the public works of the county for not exceeding thirty days. When any owner or tenant of any lands shall post a notice in four conspicuous places on the borders of such land prohibiting entry thereon, a proof of the posting shall be deemed and taken as notice conclusive against the person making entry, as aforesaid, for the purpose of trespassing.

SECTION 16-11-640. Unlawful entry into enclosed places.

It shall be unlawful for any person not an occupant, owner or invitee to enter any private property enclosed by walls or fences with closed gates between the hours of six P.M. and six A.M. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any justifiable emergency entry or to premises which are not posted with clearly visible signs prohibiting trespass upon the enclosed premises. The provisions of this section are supplemental to existing law relating to trespass and punishment therefor. Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined not less than twenty-five dollars nor more than two hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than thirty days.
don't think this applies to closed/locked buildings and private dwellings, which are covered elsewhere

So, basically, in SC, if you want someone to stay off your property, you should post at least 4 conspicuous "No Trespassing" signs, or one sign if you've completely enclosed it with a fence or wall.

Course there's probably case law that applies, too. And maybe some applicable federal and/or local laws. Oh well, that's what lawyers are for, right?

I saw video which was made by Iro and Jeb about a jump they did off a hotel. They were going to be charged with tresspassing but once it was known that they had a room in that hotel they couldnt press those charges. Then they tried to stick reckless endangerment on them, but Jeb pointed out to his video that showed no one was below them when he jumped and no one was in the landing area. They were released because the cops couldnt pin any charges on them.
The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over - Hunter S. Thompson

Generally, criminal trespass is only going to result in a slap on the wrist unless there are extra circumstances ... you look arabic...

There's a bunch of guys jailed for looking arabic over here and they're not even allowed to have a trial or know what they're charged with.

You gotta love the kinda democracy the 'free world' enforces with its jackboots.

Sorry to go OT, but it's chilling how close to the mark some one off comments really are.

Russ

Generally, criminal trespass is only going to result in a slap on the wrist unless there are extra circumstances ... you look arabic...

There's a bunch of guys jailed for looking arabic over here and they're not even allowed to have a trial or know what they're charged with.

You gotta love the kinda democracy the 'free world' enforces with its jackboots.

Sorry to go OT, but it's chilling how close to the mark some one off comments really are.

I actually meant it in all seriousness as a warning. People who look like "terrorists" are far less likely to be given a stern talking to and let go. It's something that some of us (unfortunately) have to keep in mind, and it's a real, valid issue in parts of this sport.

But, please, let's not turn it into a general conversation about US government policy, police racism or whatever. If that happened, I'd have to start slicing sections out and sending them into the black hole we a call Speaker's Corner.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hotel bust about 8 years ago. Manager wanted to press charges. Showed my room key and informed him that payment would not be made if I was locked up and subsequently penalized. He dropped the intent to charge, asked us politely not to jump from the roof again, sent up a bottle of Champagne.
Lake front hotel, all glass , about 500 footer. Guess?

edit: by request of original poster ~TA

Did he address you politely as "Dr.", too?

I've noticed that (a) looking "presentable" (by which I generally mean no visible tatoos or piercings, short hair and decent clothes), and (b) being "respectable" (by which I generally mean making a fair bit of money), can insulate jumpers from a bit of trouble.

I've been let go several times, usually because I look and dress like the cop who caught me, speak politely, and present myself well. Every little bit counts in those kinds of situations.

Good to see you on here. Don't forget the pact we made in California.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I've been let go several times, usually because I look and dress like the cop who caught me, speak politely, and present myself well. Every little bit counts in those kinds of situations.

I've heard of ton of these stories about people getting a talking to, a simple ticket, or just a "Hey man, that was cool!". Later that night they find themselves sleeping in their own beds. With my luck, I'd end up spending approx. 16 hours in jail until I was bailed out.

Do most of these "let go" stories originate from when the cop actually sees the jump and confronts the jumper (no one called in a complaint)? Or do people have these stories even when someone called 911 and the air unit shows up with their 10 gazillion watt spotlight? Has anyone experienced a ton of commotion caused by a complaint and then been let go?

Lou

On the flipside, I know a couple cool cops from metro PDs who dig the idea of BASE. They even suggested sites I hadn't really thought of and said I should give them a heads-up prior to making jumps in their jurisdictions. Then, they could "ground crew" from a distance in case calls came in or something else happened. They'd be on the scene first and could take care of things. (Let it be said, they are not your run-of-the-mill beat cops, so busting someone for tresspassing isn't a motivating factor.)

I haven't taken them up on it yet, but I think it's potentially advantageous.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

On the flipside, I know a couple cool cops from metro PDs who dig the idea of BASE.

I know of at least one police officer who is an active BASE jumper. Also a US Marshall, but since he's not really a street cop, that doesn't really bear on this discussion too much.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Mr.mr2mk1g,
Some good thoughts i appreciate your time to put them all out there!
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Don't forget the pact we made in California.

Ooh, a pact. That sounds interesting. Tom, can we make a pact too? Yeah!

I've heard of ton of these stories about people getting a talking to, a simple ticket, or just a "Hey man, that was cool!". Later that night they find themselves sleeping in their own beds. With my luck, I'd end up spending approx. 16 hours in jail until I was bailed out.

Do most of these "let go" stories originate from when the cop actually sees the jump and confronts the jumper (no one called in a complaint)? Or do people have these stories even when someone called 911 and the air unit shows up with their 10 gazillion watt spotlight? Has anyone experienced a ton of commotion caused by a complaint and then been let go?

Lou

on my bust in Mexico, they cleared out a whole hotel and brought in bomb sniffing dogs... or thats what they told me at the time. It was about a month or two after 9/11 so people were a little 'jumpy';). I'm pretty sure it was called in by a hotel guest who believed I was a terrorist. I was detained for a few hours and then released to just make my flight back to the states. I was let go with the help of the american consulate who explained to them that there were no 'no tresspassing' signs and I didn't do any damage to any doors, locks, railings or the roof. And I didn't look like a terrorist which, as stated previously, might have helped. Also, they kept asking me if I had a license to jump. I thought about it and then pulled out my USPA card:o which quieted that question! I was going to send the story to USPA but somehow I didn't think they would've appreciated it! THANKS USPA FOR GETTING ME OUT OF BASE JAIL!!

Jason

I've known several police officers and also a few prison guards who BASE jump. We had one cop here named John (I'm serious) who jumped many times in the city with us. He was very well known and respected in the Police Department and we knew flashing his tin would get us out of just about any trouble.

That "get out of jail card" lasted a year or so, then John went in on a skydive trying to find a floating pud on a borrowed Racer . . .

The Department suspected foul play, being the wuffos they are, combined with the fact policeman always make enemies. Someone in John's family asked us to get involved and Anne and I went to headquarters where John's skydiving rig was being held. We explained to the Detectives what happened and why it happened and it satisfied them and we made a few friends in the process.

But, John was a really cool guy, and I miss him . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

they kept asking me if I had a license to jump. I thought about it and then pulled out my USPA card :owhich quieted that question! I was going to send the story to USPA but somehow I didn't think they would've appreciated it! THANKS USPA FOR GETTING ME OUT OF BASE JAIL!!

ha ha cool storry and i were about to dumb my licens,guess im gonna keep it now :ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber