elcapitan

My name is Tina Schubert Lindebaum

:)

Nick,

The idea was neither mine nor Brian's. It was suggested to me by another skydiver I worked with at the time. I mentioned it to Brian, asking him if he would like to do something no one has ever done before. He was all for it. We spent the next month or so studying every scrap of information we could find on the El Capitan before we made the trip to Yosemite to make the jump. We were both Class C licenseholders at the time. I don't know if the USPA categorizes it the same, but when it was called the PCA, a C license was Jumpmaster status. The El Capitan was my 184th logged jump.

After the jump the PCA and the FAA grounded us from jumping for a full year. They sent letters around to all the area drop zones instructing them to notify them and the local sheriff's office if we ever showed up and requested to make a jump. Fortunately we had a friend whose only request was that we set up new log books with phoney names and we were welcome to jump at his DZ any time.

The newspapers made it sound like we were beaten half to death in the jump. I did have one small unfortunate mishap after I opened when I made a wrong turn to counter some erratic side winds, slammed into the face and fractured an ankle in the process. Brian landed in a downdraft and injured both of his feet. I think we were both jumping again a month later.

The freefall was incredible as you base jumpers all know. We had about a 10-12 second delay out of it. We used good old-fashioned military parachutes modified in a TU configuration. Obviously nothing like the squares you guys are jumping these days. We had the choice of a nice freefall and landing in the rocks below or a short freefall and enough float to get over the trees into the meadow. We both opted in favor of the rush of freefalling 20 feet away from mother earth.

I hope I've given you all the details you were looking for. You can email me any time at [email protected] if you have any questions. Otherwise, I'll be checking into these forums now and then. It is interesting to find after all these years that I have been credited to have been a part of the history of base jumping and never noticed until Brian's daughter Tina started investigating.

Regards,
Mike Pelkey

In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny

Thanks, Mike, that's all great stuff. Please consider, along with Brian and Tina too, coming to Bridge Day this year. We need to stand you two up in front of hundreds of BASE jumpers and get you the cheers, tears, and applause you both deserve. And I know you'll get a real kick out of what's happening in the sport nowadays. You can go here http://www.bridgeday.info/ for the details . . .

I'm not sure if you know, but before Carl Boenish organized the 1978 loads from El Cap it was you two that gave him the idea. He was a young jumper at Elsinore in 1966 with about a hundred jumps when he heard about your jumps. It was something that stuck in his mind and all that he did later, naming the sport "BASE" and coming up with the BASE award, is all due to what you two did.

So, please consider coming to Bridge Day as I know about 400 jumpers that would love to shake your hand.

PS, bring some good pens. You're going to be signing a lot of logbooks . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Ray,

I can answer that. The first baton pass was accomplished in 1964. I remember it well because Jim Brewer and I had been within inches of being first on several jumps when another couple of guys beat us to the punch. Brewer and I actually had a successful baton pass within a few days after the event made skydiving history. Everyone in the sport was working on it in those days.

In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

this is possibly the best thread EVER on DZ.com.
cheers Mike, Nick, and Skypuppy.
pope

Tom,

There were three of us on the El Capitan jump: Brian Schubert, myself and Jim Cleary. Jim was not a jumper. He was there to take pictures. Unfortuneately he didn't do a great job. The film was developed by Life magazine. Life rejected doing the story as soon as they saw the pictures. I was told that Life is essentially a "picture" magazine, and they didn't like the quality of the pictures. Looking back we should have forseen the public interest side of it and taken along better camera equipment. Oh well, live and learn....

Thanks, Mike, that's all great stuff. Please consider, along with Brian and Tina too, coming to Bridge Day this year. We need to stand you two up in front of hundreds of BASE jumpers and get you the cheers, tears, and applause you both deserve. And I know you'll get a real kick out of what's happening in the sport nowadays. You can go here http://www.bridgeday.info/ for the details . . .

I'm not sure if you know, but before Carl Boenish organized the 1978 loads from El Cap it was you two that gave him the idea. He was a young jumper at Elsinore in 1966 with about a hundred jumps when he heard about your jumps. It was something that stuck in his mind and all that he did later, naming the sport "BASE" and coming up with the BASE award, is all due to what you two did.

So, please consider coming to Bridge Day as I know about 400 jumpers that would love to shake your hand.

Yes!
Thank you Brian and Mike.... FOR GOING FOR IT!!! Ballsy move indeed. I for one (and Im sure all the BASE jumpers) would love to meet you both.
Have Fun, Don't Die!
Johnny Utah
My Website
email:[email protected]

Nick,

Thanks for the nice letter. I scanned the forum for information on Bridge Day. It appears that I may have missed the deadline for a ticket to make a jump. I'm sure I could talk Brian into it as well if we were able to get tickets. Neither of us have any gear these days, but we may be able to improvise something by October 16. Maybe someone has a couple of old TU's to loan us. I'd be right at home with one. Let me know if you have any ideas in that regard.

In any event I will be thrilled to attend the event. I know Brian would love it too.

Regards,
Mike Pelkey

There are still slots available. They just went on sale yesterday. We would really love to have you two there. Maybe we can even talk Jason in to letting you two be the first off the bridge this year. I'm sure the photos would be high quality this time.

Boy, I smell a plan coming together . . .

Of course, Jason Bell has total say on who gets the first off slot, but I'm sure we could get some gear together for you to use. Tina mentioned you stopped jumping sometime after El Cap, so am I correct in guessing you've never jumped a square parachute?

Rounds are fine at Bridge Day, but instead of something military we now have smaller rounds designed especially for BASE jumping. I have a pretty good "in" with one of the manufacturers so maybe I can help with that.

However, please don’t get the idea there is any pressure on you to make a jump. Just having you two there would be more than enough for us. However, if you really do want to jump I'm sure Johnny Utah, or Tom Aiello, would gladly have you in the courses they provide for first timers at Bridge Day. You know, LOL, just as a refresher sort of thing.

There are crackerjack boat crews at Bridge Day, so you can land in the river and they'll have you in the boat before your hair gets wet.

Now, this is getting exciting . . .

However, please don’t get the idea there is any pressure on you to make a jump. Just having you two there would be more than enough for us. However, if you really do want to jump I'm sure Johnny Utah, or Tom Aiello, would gladly have you in the courses they provide for first timers at Bridge Day. You know, LOL, just as a refresher sort of thing.

Mike and Brian, you are both invited to attend my Bridge Day FJC (as a refresher sort of thing) at no charge. Its the least I could do to say thanks FOR GOING FOR IT!!!.... and planting the seed, which has grown into modern day BASE jumping.
:)
Have Fun, Don't Die!
Johnny Utah
My Website

Nick,

I actually have made one jump with a square canopy so I AM experienced. It was an awesome experience for me. They called it a "wing" at the time. I faintly remember hearing it referred to as the "Rogallo Wing". I'm assuming it is the same technology. Let me know if I'm wrong about that.

I haven't made a jump in 35 years or so but I'm sure it is just like riding a bicycle - you never forget how.

I have put in my request for a jump ticket on Bridge Day. I'm not sure

I can talk Brian into jumping. He just had back surgery a month or so ago and may not be ready for it by October 15.

Regards,
Mike Pelkey

That would be great Nick. I'd really hate to have my hair get wet and wind up with a bad hair day. I wouldn't dream of jumping if I thought I might get my hair wet.:P

Thanks Johnny,

Speaking for myself I'll be happy to take you up on your generous offer. I'm not sure that Brian will be jumping though. I talked with him this morning and he hasn't committed to doing it yet. Plan B includes challenging his courage. Brian is the poster boy for fearlessness and I'm sure a challenge will work if I have to use it.

Thanks Johnny,

Speaking for myself I'll be happy to take you up on your generous offer. I'm not sure that Brian will be jumping though. I talked with him this morning and he hasn't committed to doing it yet. Plan B includes challenging his courage. Brian is the poster boy for fearlessness and I'm sure a challenge will work if I have to use it.

Excellent.:)I will save two slots for you guys.
Have Fun, Don't Die!
Johnny Utah
My Website

This whole thread is really enlightening - thanks. Someone should make a documumentary.... now that would be ....B|

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Mike,

Yes, ram air (square) canopies then and now are basically the same. However, you may want to wait until you see the landing area in person before deciding on landing there or in the water. A new saying we have is, "You dry faster than you heal." But, Johnny can help guide you through that decision.

I will say the landing area at Bridge Day isn't the meadow at El Cap It's small and surrounded by tall trees. But, all the details can be worked out. You are going to be surrounded by some of the best BASE jumpers in the world, and they'll all want to help.

The local media at Bridge Day always finds some angle on the event to key off from. Sometimes it's the weather; sometimes it's a jumper wedding on the bridge, things like that. This time we should make every effort to make sure the angle is you two guys . . .

I can see it now, "Closing a Circle . . ."

I'll offer free Bridge Day jump slots to anyone on that 1966 El Cap load. It's the least I can do to say thanks. I'd love for you guys to say a few words to the crowd on Saturday night. Email me jbell(at)vertical-visions.com if interested.

It funny that even on the very first Yosemite BASE jumps, the rangers were digging through lawbooks in order to find something to charge you with.

PS. Free Bridge Day jump passes to any current or retired NPS ranger as well!
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Wow, it's just getting better and better . . .

Nice, Jason!

PS. Free Bridge Day jump passes to any current or retired NPS ranger as well!

:D:D:D

Damn...... I am going to HAVE to sign up for this. Time to work on the angle to the boss.

Something not to miss. :)
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Neither of us have any gear these days, but we may be able to improvise something by October 16.

If you're comfortable jumping modern gear, I'm pretty sure there will be pleny of jumpers waiting in line to have the honour of you doing a jump in their gear. I, for one, would be at the front of that line.

So in the rather unlikely event that you can't find gear, drop me a note.

xAll I know is what Carl Boenish said and info from the newspaper clippings a BASE-friendly Park Ranger sent me many years ago.

We'd love to hear how you came up with the idea, I mean we want details . . .

Nick,

Is there any possibility you still have the newspaper clipping? My copies disappeared many years ago. I'd love to have a copy.

Mike Pelkey

If you're comfortable jumping modern gear, I'm pretty sure there will be pleny of jumpers waiting in line to have the honour of you doing a jump in their gear. I, for one, would be at the front of that line.

So in the rather unlikely event that you can't find gear, drop me a note.

You guys are so great! I wish I had met all of you years ago.

Thanks
-Mike

Interesting stuff...

Anybody has any idea where and when 'modern' jumping took off in Europe? France perhaps...?

J.