DaveO

Shooting BASE Video

Did you ad a wide angle lens?
If not, try a .5 or .42 something along those lines.

I've been using the HC30 for a full season of tandem vids and some BASE with nothing but praise from my customers.

Since a lot of the people I video come as a group and all get video, some from other guys with much more expensive cameras, if my finished product were inferior I would have heard about it.

You can definately get a better camera, but you'll pay for it in cash, size, and weight.
-Josh

ps: You can buy a wide angle lens with an adapter ring to fit for about $40.

pss: Night shot isn't great, but it seems to work well right through sunset.
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

Since a lot of the people I video come as a group and all get video, some from other guys with much more expensive cameras, if my finished product were inferior I would have heard about it.

I would asume that doing tandems you are jumping in at least decent conditions. So the Camera will work almost all of them will.
Most people are jumping for joy to see any video and wont notice the little differences between your $400. camera and the other guys 1500. camera, and in normal conditions there wont be a difference.

few things to remember.
Bigger lens = better light capture
More pixels on large CCD =(should) better picture.
top two together = better low light capture.

Now for wide angle lense..
Paying more does get you more. getting a good lense will offer a few things.
1. reduce the distortion and fish eye effect.
2. reduce fussyness at edges of video
3. allow you to ZOOM thru the wide angle lens.

edit to add...
Shaking....
well that is a factor of extra pixels. lense stability. and software..
also the big old heavy cameras had less shake..
think of your dads big old heavy Cadilac running down the highway compared to your lighweight honda civic.. the big heavy one smooths out the bumps..

not an expert. just have used alot of equipment.
CHICKEN MAN
BASE 954

I know of atleast 5 different models of the HC series, which do you own? Have you tried a wide angle lens~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Looks like Timmy from Australia to me.

Timmy has shorty hair. And only DJ wears those god awful white sneakers that should have stayed in the 80's.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I dont own the HC series of cameras. I have demo'd them (buy and return). and I am looking at purchasing a HC30 if the price is right on Ebay. currently for size/quality i like the PC9.

I want to get a HC30 for a throw away camera.. foot mount, belly mount, water jumps. or any jump that I dont want to destroy my PC9 or PC330..

If anyone has any info on the Canons or other manufactures that would be great. Reviews seem good and prices are cheaper than sony, but I have not used them.

Just my opinions.
CHICKEN MAN
BASE 954

I dont own the HC series of cameras. I have demo'd them (buy and return). and I am looking at purchasing a HC30 if the price is right on Ebay. currently for size/quality i like the PC9.

I want to get a HC30 for a throw away camera.. foot mount, belly mount, water jumps. or any jump that I dont want to destroy my PC9 or PC330..

If anyone has any info on the Canons or other manufactures that would be great. Reviews seem good and prices are cheaper than sony, but I have not used them.

Just my opinions.

a kindof side question - for all the non-standard ( non-helmet) mount camera angles, why not go with a bulletcam ? I have been researching it, and it seems like the quality is up there, hiding the cables should be pretty simple. And best of yet, with all the new cams being smaller and smaller, you can easily fit 2-3 in a fanny pack so you can have instant 3 angles.

let's hear it...

wouldnt you need 2-3 cameras to record the video though
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

that's exactly what I meant - with cameras being smaller, you can easily squeeze 2-3 in a fanny pack - I am sure we can use a higher amperage power supply to fuel all 3 bulletcams, and the wiring shouldn't be a big deal...

OK thanks, I was quite confused when you said :

And best of yet, with all the new cams being smaller and smaller, you can easily fit 2-3 in a fanny pack

I was going to write a flippant one-liner but then I realized how ignorant I would come across.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

OK thanks, I was quite confused when you said :

And best of yet, with all the new cams being smaller and smaller, you can easily fit 2-3 in a fanny pack

I was going to write a flippant one-liner but then I realized how ignorant I would come across.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

you know what they they about assumtion :)

to clarify - 1 bullet cam per 1 camcorder. Now from the specs each bulletcam has to have a PS, but since they probably drain next to nothing, I am sure one power supply, perhaps with slights mods, can handle all of them. keep in mind, we are also talking the whole whooping few minutes ( if we get so lucky ) of recording time that we need ( i am implying exit - freefall - landing ). Of course then we can also talk about a unified battery for all the cameras that you will carry, since even 3 slim batteries are quite heavy..

now if anybody wants to buy me 3 bulletcams, I do have 3 minidv camcorders here..

P.S. Keep in mind that for this setup you can easily buy one of them "damaged" TRV/PC/HC series on ebay - about a year ago I bought a TRV33 where the whole lens mechanism was shot, but it played back fine, and recorded from external source ( RCA Analog hookup ) just fine - cost me a whooping $150 bucks.

I was in denial when I watched the video from the HC-40. When my wife mentioned the quality looked low, I knew it was obvious! The average person shouldnt notice a difference, but my wife caught it.
My first jump was filmed with an 8mm, and ofcourse I'm stoked to have it. Who isnt happy with a video of a first jump! I'm looking for pro quality video, or as close to broadcast quality possible. The HC series regardless of Model wont to the job.

HC- All models have the same resolution and Steady Shot function.
Read the fine print: Sony has a variety of Zeiss Lenses and Steady Shots. Just because its a Zeiss doesnt mean its the best Ziess available. Is it Steady Shot or Super Steady Shot??

Yes, I have used a variety of lenses (.5 .42 .38).

Ray / DJ, just looking for caption info. Thanks Tom.

The extra shake notice was in comparisson to the PC-7. Both are very light and small, so I believe its a mechanical difference. I assumed since the PC-7 was a much older camera, that the HC series would atleast compare.

Bullet Camera- I dont use them mostly because you are stuck with one size lens. There is no option for super wide fish eye lenses on Bullet Cameras that I know of. When they do, I will get one!

The HC is a great throw away camera, as mentioned.

JM
www.imagethisphoto.com

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that's exactly what I meant - with cameras being smaller, you can easily squeeze 2-3 in a fanny pack - I am sure we can use a higher amperage power supply to fuel all 3 bulletcams

you need 3 pc alike cams whith analough in,then you´ll need 3 batterypacks aswell(8 batteryes on each) plus 3 remotes.. i do belive THAT would be a problem... i think it takes more room than i like just whith 1 bullet cam:|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

to clarify - 1 bullet cam per 1 camcorder. Now from the specs each bulletcam has to have a PS, but since they probably drain next to nothing,

wrong power= quallity...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

well...i`m using pc-4...the OLD one...because its always that 720x 480 resolution and.... still...easier the better...smaller the best...allmost in every situation ;)

when I´m skydiving i`m using pc-120, there`s lots of features that 330 has also...

se ya Dave...when will we meet again? coming to Europe?

Fastpete

Hey Pete,
Good to hear from you.
Planning on Norway in August. After that I don't know.
That big stack on your web site looks like a lot of fun!! I might have to invite myself if they do it again.

C-Ya
Dave
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

we were planning to go to Norway too....and August it is...

I think they will do it again...i can ask if you want:):)

Merry Christmas !!

anyone have a sony PC-9 for sale?working or broken ill buy for parts..
[email protected]

Hey Tym- we have a PC9 that got a bath in Miracle Grow, Sony couldn't fix it so we bought a new one off Ebay. I think the old one is sitting around as "parts". I'll see if the owner wants to shed it. How much is it worth to you?

K