Skinflicka

Controversy...I hated Fearless

I've heard enough good stuff about Jeb to think that this must've been a media highjack. I trust the people I know to relate accurate info (which has all been good) regarding Jeb so I'm not making this out to be comparable to RedBull$hit or anything like that...Don't get the wrong idea. My mind is already made up in that regard (unless I experience otherwise first hand). For those who would suggest jealousy being the reason for my post, just remember that if Jeb and I changed places he would wind up a hell of a lot better looking (if a little shorter).

I guess I'm going to be in the extreme minority when I suggest that this show was $hite.

What else can you expect from an hour long show which attempts to delve into the psyche of a jumper. In just 1 hour? Talk about a cheap ride?

This was MTV type bull$hit at it's most egregious.
The photography was awesome but the pretext that BASE jumpers are bad-ass athletes is just too much of a horse's cock to swallow.

Wannabes please form an orderly line at the pair of pink neon pants on the corner.

Fuck FJC's. No more extreme athletes are required at this point. We have enough to paint the sidewalk red at this time. Try out next year, darling?

Where will this end?

Perhaps it's best if we have a huge influx of new jumpers who go in with such enormous frequency that the media ceases to be interested in it. That may avert a lemming like massacre due to the newly inspired, skydive free, "I've high-dived" / "been a gymnast" / been on a FJC so I can base jump, newbies.

Darwin may only be a theory. Please don't participate in it's becoming a law as a result of watching this crap. It's only eyecandy.

And if you want to launch a personal attack as a result of my post...just remember...Ray Losli thinks it's ok to jump off the rail at the IBP.:P

Discuss....

The pot has been $trirred.
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

Fuck FJC's. No more extreme athletes are required at this point. We have enough to paint the sidewalk red at this time. Try out next year, darling?

Where will this end?

Perhaps it's best if we have a huge influx of new jumpers who go in with such enormous frequency that the media ceases to be interested in it.

1) I don't think that a majority of the BASE jumpers are extreme athletes. I don't think people who see that show will line up to take FJCs.

2) If a lot of people go in, the media will have a field day and BASE jumping will get a lot of negative attention.

The show was what it was, the story of a BASE jumper. It was pretty well done.

Kris.

Where will this end?

Perhaps it's best if we have a huge influx of new jumpers who go in with such enormous frequency that the media ceases to be interested in it.

1) I don't think that a majority of the BASE jumpers are extreme athletes. I don't think people who see that show will line up to take FJCs.

2) If a lot of people go in, the media will have a field day and BASE jumping will get a lot of negative attention.

Kris.

do you know skin? maybe not hey............

I disagree with your second point. I think it's painting BASE in this light which makes it look "kewl". I think these shows are the reason that many new jumpers are inspired to take their first huck.

Your first point gives me pause...If they're not extreme athletes what are they? What do you think of as an extreme athlete? How do you see the jumping population split up? What are the categories?

What I was clumsily (and drunkenly) trying to say was that the media would eventually be so desensitized to BASE casualties that it would quit making the news. We already get [mostly] negative attention by the media.

You're right. It was pretty entertaining as a show in and of itself. There was little depth or insight to it though. Hence the MTV accusation.
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

Wannabes please form an orderly line at the pair of pink neon pants on the corner.

I've been standing on this corner now for the better part of a day--are you fuckers gonna tell me that I'm the ONLY wannabe in line? Or maybe I have the wrong location...you did say "neon pink," right Skin?
you crack me up.

Actually, I thought the whole thing was pretty well done--it may seem a bit overdramatized to some, but I think if you ever take some time to get to know Jeb, you might change your mind. I thought it portrayed him pretty well, as television goes.

I did take issue with what was shown about a certain illegal "S" jump though...a bit too much info there. Scratch that one off the list for about ten years...

way to stir the pot there, Skin.
mh

This is a little like over-analyzing the movies "Dropzone" or "Cutaway." Sure, Fearless is based on a real person and real events, but it is still done for TV and the entertainment of the general public. Looking at it in that way, I would say that it was really well done, pretty accurate and very entertaining.

I personally think BASE jumping IS "kewl". I realize that almost all BASE jumpers, just like skydivers, will probably say they don't do it to be cool, but that doesn't change the way people will view it.

You can't really believe that BASE jumping will stay as a sport that only serious people try and do it the right way. With every video that is posted, picture that is published, Bridge Day that goes by, more and more people will want to try this "kewl" sport. I mean, shit, all the BASE vids and movies I see that are put out by actual BASE people, certainly do their best to paint the "kewl" picture. But then again, I guess it is ok when "we" do it, but not ok when a channel like OLN does.

>>The trick is that there is no trick, no matter what the media may tell you.
No secret mantra, no rules, and no road-map
It's not about how smart or how good you are.
It's Chaos and Luck, and all you can do is hang on madly, as long and as hard as you can.

If they're not extreme athletes what are they? What do you think of as an extreme athlete? How do you see the jumping population split up? What are the categories?

Let me explain. To me an extreme athlete is one that is in top physical shape and an extreme sport is one that most people with normal physical abilities cannot do. So while some base jumpers are extreme athletes, all base jumpers may not be.

BASE jumping in itself is an extreme sport.

Kris.

Let me explain. To me an extreme athlete is one that is in top physical shape and an extreme sport is one that most people with normal physical abilities cannot do.

I agree with you, most base jumpers (in US at least) are in poor physical shape and really cannot be called "athletes".

Now if you substitute physical for "mental", the picture is very different. BASE is very easy both technicaly and physicaly, but from a mental perspective it is something most ordinary people cannot even imagine. This is where it may deserve the "extreme" label.

I believe BASE is as far from being a "sport" as, let's say, yoga.

bsbd!

Yuri.

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me explain. To me an extreme athlete is one that is in top physical shape and an extreme sport is one that most people with normal physical abilities cannot do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you, most base jumpers (in US at least) are in poor physical shape and really cannot be called "athletes".

hmm as a lazyboy i guess im NOT an athlet,but who gives a fuck i rather have a beer and a blowjob while the athlets do their job.. entertain me on the tv:ph34r::D

I believe BASE is as far from being a "sport" as, let's say, yoga.

i do agreeB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

way to smoke the pot there, Skin.;)

base704
NCbase4

You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

Actually I did sort of start BASE jumping to be 'kewl', but at about 5'6" before my accident, (and about 5'4" after) and weighing in about 185 lbs with bad teeth and a bald spot beginning to appear on the top of my head, it never really panned out for me.

Still, they say it's the journey, not the destination.

Rob Price BASE 92

ps. I vote for skin for best basejumper... Or at least most entertaining...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

SKINFLICKA...
Are you feeling lucky???? :P you always know how to feed the threads

Ok I just watched it for the 4th time since last night. (not much to jump in IOWA) I dont think people that see this video will wan to go out and base jump.

You do have to admit that it turned out pretty good. If you have ever dealt with the media it is easy for them to turn everything that you want to portay as good into evil.

Given the material they showed it was all Jebs words about what HE does. It was about him and his good friend who are base jumpers.. not about base jumping alone.

after watching this video my girlfriend had to watch the DAM strike video on the other thread 4 or 5 times.

just me 2c
CHICKEN MAN
BASE 954

well, i didn't watch it because i don't own a tv. i hate being inside and only have time for the internet when i can't sleep.

No more extreme athletes are required at this point. We have enough to paint the sidewalk red at this time.

as far as i'm concerned, as long as i'm alive and can say "i do that", i guess i'll just look that much "kewler" in front of whuffos and the like that are bouncing in, right?

i think the concept of all these shows and media coverage is good overall though. hell, i'd let a network make a movie out of my life, but you can only handle so many gangster/mob/prison movies. ;) extreme sports are just a plus.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes it.

and i'd like to say, it is like winning a prize reading most of your posts!

cheers!;)

~E

SKINFLICKA...
Are you feeling lucky???? :P you always know how to feed the threads

Ok I just watched it for the 4th time since last night. (not much to jump in IOWA) I dont think people that see this video will wan to go out and base jump.

Are you nuts?! I watched it and I'm dying for a flik!!!;)
Damn wind and rain>:(:P
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Yuri pursed his lips, clenched in his butt cheeks, flicked his hair back over his left ear (with his right hand) and said...
"I agree with you, most base jumpers (in US at least) are in poor physical shape and really cannot be called "athletes".".

Being a bit of a dumbass I had to look it up..

Main Entry: ath·lete
Pronunciation: 'ath-"lEt, ÷'a-th&-"lEt
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin athleta, from Greek athlEtEs, from athlein to contend for a prize, from athlon prize, contest
: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

I'd say we are extreme athletes. Yessir, indeedy. We just suck at it with the exception of a few of the buff boys. Is not your 500lb lard ass Sumo an athlete? Hell, they almost fit the etymology perfectly. If they were Greek they'd be a pair of big, fat, Greek, semi-naked, cat fighting fighting bitches which I believe is word-for-word the definition that Webster gives for Greco-Roman wrestling.

The defense rests...;)
$kin.