SBCmac

Ascending 500ft on a climbing rope...

Oh.... whew! I thought you left them on the bridge. I left a sweatshirt there on the pillar one time. I thought you might want to go back there with me to...umm... get them.

...500 feet on prussik is a bit sporty for my taste.

Uh...yeah! I've done about 100 feet on one once. Never again. I'll stick with my Petzl Ascension's, thanks.

beautiful...simply beautiful.. i wish i could have seen that...

those sort of stealthy events were what i lived for when i was really into rappelling off anything i could attach a rope too...

and I agree, dont worry about the rope.. it will get used elsewhere guarantied. particularly since it sounds like you cut it near the top... but that crew wont leave any hanging anymore for a while…and shouldnt have in the first place (but that your gain and their loss)..... look at it this way.. it could have been some drunken idiot doing a 'hey yall watch this" climbing attempt.. as happened to an ATL cleaning crew that resulted in serious injury and some job loss for a few people i knew in the business...

just read it again... nice very nice.....

Nice jump, bro. That was some serious canopy flying, yikes! I was very happy to see you land safely. You earned that jump all the way. Glad I could be there.

Oh, and I had fun eating all the cookies in your office with your gf and Dexter while we watched you ascend up that thing.

Great work:)I have looked at a similar situation near me for a few years but it's only 280'. The window crew comes in and stays for about a week. A few times they have left the whole platform near the ground but the weather didn't cooperate. You wouldn't happen to know what it takes to get one of these units running would you? I assume it's electrically operated? Well at least the larger platform but they also had a single seat lift that might be manually operated.

I have one question about your adventure that I didn't quite undestand. Why did you have to cut the rope to get on the roof? You said the corner (overhang?)of the building prevented you from getting on top, so what did cutting the rope do to help your access to the roof? Did you use it to latch onto something and help pull you up?
Once again, nice job on the whole jump! Too bad you couldn't hang out on top and admire the view for a bit longer;)

Peace,
Jason
Base 570

>>Story time all …<<

He meant that he couldn't make a needed move against the weight of the rope. Cutting the rope, considering it is also meant no going back that way, is ballsz.

But, I'm torn.

It's a great story and you had me until cutting the rope.

I honestly thought, you were coming down at that point. It would have been a good ending to what you termed, "the journey." I mean nothing but a successful BASE jump occurred after that.

On the other hand, I love it, when the best of us shows such imagination and daring.

NickD :)BASE 194

Why did you have to cut the rope to get on the roof?

The rope ran all the way over the edge of the roof on top and was anchored up there and down below at ground level. At the base, the anchor was set out only a few feet away from the building. He said the last 100' or so was difficult to gain every inch due to the rope starting to get pinned. At the very top, the rope was pinned tightly against the building preventing him from getting his ascender any higher. He cut the rope below him to free the 490' of weight and lower anchor point so the rope was no longer pinned and he could move his ascender freely up the last few feet.

It's similar to a guitar string. The string is anchored at two points and the string is straight. At the nut, it is nearly impossible to get anything underneath.

Hope that helps.
Katie.

I also thought it was unfortunate that cutting the rope was necessary. I think it would have been better to leave no trace and the only people who would have known about the little adventure would have been us.

Unfortunately, it was quite necessary to cut the rope. The rope was weighted and stretched out as it was anchored to the rail below earlier. They used the weight of a couple guys to tighten the rope and anchor it. On top of that, the rope was soaked through from rain so getting the knot undone prior to the climb was quite impossible.

Because of this, attaching any currently available descending device to the rope was impossible, meaning it was either all the way up or not at all. The prospect, not to mention the added danger, of down-jugging 500 feet after an already taxing ascent was totally unfeasable.

I've done a lot of ascending, rappelling, and climbing. In the same situation I would have evaluated all my options but ultimately would have cut the rope as well.

Sometimes you're committed and you have to play to the level required.

Unfortunately, it was quite necessary to cut the rope.

It was premeditated?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

http://www.onrope1.com/index.php?mode=store&submode=showitem&itemnumber=sg51040

bring one of these....

It was premeditated?

Absolutely not. That's not really what kind of people we are. If I knew damaging someone elses property would be necessary, that would be a major factor in deciding to do the jump or not.

It was premeditated?

Come on now people... If your going to post, comprehend what you have read first before making coments... Did I say it was premeditated???

As you see in my below quote from my earlier post, it was my only option to cut the rope, and I discoverd this dilema 3ft from the corner of the roof top...

Below is what I stated earlier:

At the top of the rope I realize that the corner of the building was going to block my ascenders and prevent me from getting on top of the building. So I have climbed 500ft and can’t get on top of the building… I tried everything and at this point I have no strength to muscle it… So this is where I have to pull a miracle out of my ass… My miracle was my only option; my only option was to cut the rope that was dangling below me… It was something that I feel really bad for needing to do but I knew there were no other options…

And as I stated when I made my post, for the sake of not writing a book, I left some of the finer details out. For example, there were many variables that created my need to have to cut the rope; they included everything stated in my post, KMonster posts, and DexterBASE posts.

Furthermore, if I didn't care about BASE ethics, I wouldn't have spent three full days planning and doing extensive recon work for this jump. If I didn't care about BASE ethics, I would have walked up to the rope the first day and did it that night. By waiting and planning for three days, I increased the danger because of weather and increased the chance that they would have pulled the ropes down. The first night that I discovered the ropes the best night as far as weather.

I want to say so much more right now, but I just got home from a BASE jump and I'm tired. So I'm going to leave it at what I have said and let the people with common sense and the people that are not so quick to judge, enjoy this story...

Again, if your going to post, comprehend what you have read first before making coments...

Thanks...

BATMAN - (A.K.A. SBCmac ...)

Did I say it was premeditated???

No, that's why I asked! You say you were aware that the rope was under high tension; how did you envision it would be secured at the top, free from the building?

I'm not a climber; is it common practice to have a knife when climbing? In my country, being caught with a knife would be treated more seriously than a BASE jump!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I'm not a climber; is it common practice to have a knife when climbing? In my country, being caught with a knife would be treated more seriously than a BASE jump!

Ouch. Really?

I wonder if you could use an oversized hook knife to cut a rope?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Ouch. Really?

I wonder if you could use an oversized hook knife to cut a rope?

yep! I would rather get caught jumping a highly senstive object during high security alert (hey boys!!! hehehehe ;)) then get caught walking in the street with a simple fruit knife or cheese knife...........

No, that's why I asked! You say you were aware that the rope was under high tension; how did you envision it would be secured at the top, free from the building?

The rope was secured to the top of the building exactly how I envisioned it would be… But what I didn’t envision was that the surface of the top of the building would be so slippery; the top 25ft was smooth metal/probably aluminum. So since it was so slippery, I could not use my legs against the building, like I wanted to, to muscle the rope to clear the space I needed to move the ascenders up the rope. Normally you can just muscle the rope to get your ascenders past the corner. Also, I had watched the ropes the prior day and noticed that they were swaying with the wind, which told me that they had at least some slack in them. So while planning, I had hoped to use this slack in the ropes once I got to the top. But again, because of the slippery surface, I was not able to use the surface of the building to muscle the rope like planned…

And yes, when I jump I carry both a hook knife and a pocket knife as part of my safety gear. Also, I normally jump with a space blanket, water purification tablets, tourniquet strap, compass with whistle, head lamp and flash light, water proof matches, plastic bag, static line kit, flint rock, radio, beanie hat, paper, etc… I consider a pocket knife one of the most essential tools in my BASE tool kit… Not to mention, if I was just out in the wilderness, a knife is a bare essential tool that everyone should have with them… And since most of my jumps are off of cliffs, I wouldn’t leave home without my pocket knife.

...I normally jump with...

Painkillers are also a good thing to bring. If you have the narcotic kind, they might also have some legal implications if busted, I guess.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

No, that's why I asked! You say you were aware that the rope was under high tension; Also, I normally jump with a space blanket, water purification tablets, tourniquet strap, compass with whistle, head lamp and flash light, water proof matches, plastic bag, static line kit, flint rock, radio, beanie hat, paper, etc… I consider a pocket knife one of the most essential tools in my BASE tool kit… .

ok i fully agree on the pocket knife, (i dont feel complete when i have to give it up on airliners) but where/how do you carry all of that other gear without it becoming a nuisance/problem?

ok i fully agree on the pocket knife, (i dont feel complete when i have to give it up on airliners) but where/how do you carry all of that other gear without it becoming a nuisance/problem?

I cram it all into a fanny pack... A as far as it being a nuisance/problem, I've just gotten use to it. From past experiences in BASE and in the military, I know how much it sucks if when you need simple life saving gear and don't have it on hand. I guess it's the Marine in me that keeps surfacing. I just know how shit can go wrong and how you can pull your ass out of a serious bind with simple safety epuipment/tools.

Painkillers are also a good thing to bring. If you have the narcotic kind, they might also have some legal implications if busted, I guess.

unless you can show off an injury that might still could cause you pain in case you slip somewere or so:P

Last time i took a plane to UK i had 2 pills on me,which were discovered. i showed them my leg and they said ok;)

lucky? perhaps but i wont jump whith out pain killers again,or a phone,or a light to signal whith.. no matter if its a solo or not:P:D:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I too carry a phone... We had a friend call rescue from his phone when he was dangling from a 80ft tree :)

GOOD ONE MATE!

I have been on long free hanging jugs before on the Captain and there ain't nothin that compares. I take that back... riding the haul bag or "pig" after it's been cut away from the wall so as to jug past the cleaner. (You big wall types might know;)

Anyway, Good effort! The removal of your escape by cutting the rope added to the ballsiness of the job. Your heart must have been in your throat.

jon

Thanks Jon!!! (And everyone that has been positive...)

This jump meant so much to me and that's why I wanted to share it with my BASE brothers and sisters...

So again thanks for letting me share such an amazing experience with you all :)

>>Wow, just Wow. I can't imagine what must have been going through your mind on the way up and after you cut the rope...that's some serious commitment! ;)
I'm guessing that's a jump you'll not forget!
Glad the wind didn't get ya and I hope you tipped the taxi driver well ha ha! B|