Treejumps

The World Famous Miles D

Anyone see the new Skydiving mag? This takes the cake for being a glory hound, and in general, a giant dick.

Miles, I know that your head has swelled to gigantic proportions from the attention you recieved from hanging out with Charles Brian & Mike Vail (who actually are famous amongst skydivers), but the first rule of fame is that if you have to advertise that you are famous, you aren't. There must be at least 100 people world wide more qualified in every way to teach base than you. Your ethics suck and the last thing base needs are more pepole who approach the sport as you do. As a clown at the circus looking for attention.

Stick with skydiving. Somebody there might believe you. :S

You may now return to your regularly scheduled program.

is this a personal attack? maybe post a copy of the article so we all can see?

This is more of a public service anouncement. I uploaded the ad.

Edited to add: I guess now that Miles nearly went in at BD, to some extent, he is famous.

This is a sample intro:

Miles: Hi I'm Miles D., world famous base jumper.

BASE Wuffo: Aren't you that dude who nearly died doing some really simpleton stupid kids shit at BD?

Miles: Why yes, you do know me. (WOW, I AM FAMOUS)

BASE Wuffo: Bugger off. I think I'll take a course from someone with some commom sense, who has been a real part of base, and who actually cares about base, where it is going, and the people involved. Are you wearing blush?

here it is...
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

Yes you did...[:/]
But not by much...;)
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

what are the prereq's for going on this course?

There are none. Zero skydives required.

I talked to Miles about this earlier in the summer. His target market is "people who don't have enough skydives to get into one of the courses" (his words).

Party on...
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

His target market is "people who don't have enough skydives to get into one of the courses" (his words).

Good business idea - he knows that more and more low-number skydivers are thinking about BASE. He'll probably make a load of cash....

Shit... >:(

looks like a classic example of ego and cash taking place in front of morals and ethics...

His target market is "people who don't have enough skydives to get into one of the courses" (his words).

seeing that most people feel that the min skydive limit is set too low for some countries, then this is obviously a really good idea!

Just for information: if there are any UKers looking to do this course, dont expect anyone to hook up with you or help you on your return back.............. if you dont put in the time, then why should we bother.............

Is this the same "Miles" who's feet hit the trees just as his canopy opened at this year's Bridge Day?

I had just landed and saw that whole thing. Now, I've always respected otherwise qualified jumpers who push the envelope. I don't respect people who do so just to gain attention. I then heard a few people dissing this fellow and later I sought him out to see for myself.

I walked up to him as he was holding court and instead of introducing myself I just listened to him for a few minutes. I then quickly moved away . . .

I don't know, sometimes I think we are victims of our own success.

NickD :)BASE 194

Yea, I wonder whose idea it was for the low 'cutaway' man to have a slider up rig on that 'stunt'??? I 'heard' later on in the day they did the same stunt successfully, and the low man was slider down....it was scary to watch the first one and I couldn't believe he wasn't hurt....o well, I guess red bull does give you wings.....:P
Anywho, ditto for what Mac said, any locals from 'our' side that go, don't expect a warm welcome home.......
Of course, you could always go out there and get a A+++ course from a major manufacturer, or even possibly a free course from THE MAN, TA.
Later
Blair

PS and by 'free' I only mean no charge for the instruction, nothing in BASE is free, but its SOOOOO worth it.

Though I think what JT said was out of line, I also don't like hearing people talk shit about my friends. Miles is one of the nicer people I have met on my short journey through BASE, and even if some of his antics may merit some criticism, I don't think critique is what is taking place here. I have heard good things from good people about you Tree, and that is why I am doing my best to write this as tactfully as possible. I just can't stand there and listen to you call a person who has treated me with nothing but respect a giant dick. Please don't take this as any kind of an attack, and don't think I am defending others actions, I will only defend my own (if they warrant defense). Anyway, I hope someday we will meet and share an exit point, but if being friends with Miles alienates me from that, then so be it.
Peace
Adam Foster

There are none. Zero skydives required. No prerequisites at all, actually.

I would have thought knowledge of nuclear winds
& the wearing of penis shaped helmets would have been obligatory ? :)

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

Miles may be your friend, but his ethics suck. He is not only okay with being the one responsible for bringing people into BASE that have absolutely no business being there, but he is advertising and promoting it. You are friends and have probably talked to him about it, do you know what his motivation is? What are these people going to do once they have done a couple of jumps, have inadaquate knowledge of the sport and go back home? It sounds like in the UK, they're pretty much assed-out as far as help goes.

I don't know Miles personally, but I hold Rauk's opinion highly and he's probably a pretty nice guy, but being a nice guy doesn't make his ethics or actions acceptable by me.

Katie.

Hi JT,

Still looking forward to meeting you. Hope you are back in TF when I visit this spring.

Cheers.

Hi Adam,

Miles is a very fun guy, maybe even a nice guy to hang out with. I met him in 99' at the Tahoe Freefly festival. That does not mean that his approach to base is not incredibly flawed. Look what his attitude (and others like him) have produced for BASE. Death camping? A base school set up for complete whuffos? Nearly killing himself at BD with nothing short of a highschool like stunt? The problem is not that I am calling Miles out as a dick, the problem is that he is acting like one.

Now if seeing an average at best base jumper opening a "base school" for whuffos (he said this, not me) , and advertising himself as "World Famous" does not qualify one as a dick, then what does? He might be a very pleasnt guy to hang out with, and maybe he was nice to you, but his actions are completely against the best interestes of base (in general) and completey centered around what makes Miles look good (in his own head).

I can't stop him from makng his best attempt to fuck up a nice little sport, but I can say my piece on it. If I instigate others into dissing Miles, or better, than as I see it I am doing my part to try to protect a sport that has given me a great deal. Miles is milking base for anything he can get out of it any way he can. I don't like that kind of selfishness and I think that it is very un-cool, and un-base like.

If I am wrong then at worst I am the dick (some would say that is already true) :P Big deal. If I am right what you are seeing is the rapid degradation of a sport and it's community, and the ethics that has held it together to date.

Frankly I think that that type of behavior is just pathetic. How much attention does one need to keep feeling good about ones self?

I would be pleased to jump with anyone who goes by the title, "the B Team". Nice work you guys.

KILL YOURSELF

more easy you do it(to your self)it will save the rest of us alot of work tracking you down..

Miles... BAD idea!!!

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

what are the prereq's for going on this course?

There are none. Zero skydives required. No prerequisites at all, actually.

I talked to Miles about this earlier in the summer. His target market is "people who don't have enough skydives to get into one of the courses" (his words).

Party on...

I personally would like to thank Miles for expediating the mind numbingly slow process of natural selection.
:)
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

"I would be pleased to jump with anyone who goes by the title, "the B Team". Nice work you guys."

Thanks Mark, I appreciate that. Don't think I don't respect where you are coming from with this, I do.

Looking forward to it.
Adam

first, I don't know Miles or near enough to train anyone.

but I have two quick questions to those who feel Miles is being unfairly attacked...

has he taught YOU much regarding the sport?
would you feel comfortable having Miles train one of your family?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all..... Miles is fun as hell and untill someone cames back from the course with a bad taste then I guess we will here from them.
ANDY

Though I think what JT said was out of line, I also don't like hearing people talk shit about my friends. Miles is one of the nicer people I have met on my short journey through BASE, and even if some of his antics may merit some criticism, I don't think critique is what is taking place here.

There are two issues:

Miles behaves like a dick and showes no respect to the sport. Therefore he is shown no respect and is being called a dick. That seems to be fine and fair and can be left as it is. There is no harm in him being a fool and a clown.

However, some of his actions cause actual damage, especialy the one now being discussed in this thread. I understand that many people have tried to talk to Miles without any results. BASE is a small self-policing community of people who generaly follow common sense but disregard the law, and where violence had been used before to correct the most outrageous ethic violations. I really hope it does not come to that point, but it sure looks like it is getting close.

On a side note, just being a dick does have its disadvantages. Miles was not welcome at Royal Gorge event, and at this rate will be banned from a lot of others.

bsbd!

Yuri.