Treejumps

The World Famous Miles D

jimmy

Miles is definitely NOT the greatest contributor to the sport. There are many others ahead of him.

r.e. skydiving experience & the bridge - you CAN hit hard earth or land "off course" at the Perrine, especially if you are pca or s/l. Just like on a skydive.

However, if you have any deployment issues at the Perrine, you have less time to deal with them than on a student skydive. And you don't have the option of a reserve (usually). And if you have limited canopy experience, you are less likely to be able to or know how to deal with canopy issues. The margin for error and options for correcting errors are lower on a BASE jump. Even a bridge.

r.e. prior experience & jump numbers - they are created just like speed limits and blood alcohol levels. We all have diffferent skill & tolerance levels. BUt you need a number to start with that satisfies the statistical norm of the population. THere are individuals who need few jumps, and others who after thousands of jumps are still not ready for BASE. THe average person IS NOT ready to start BASE jumping with little / no skydive experience. This is fact. It is irrespnsible to advertise this to the general public. It is also fraught with liability & safety issues. If the excepted norm of prior experience for the BASE community is, say 150 skydives, and one of miles students with no jumps gets seriously injured/killed - he WILL get quality Bubba Butt time.

jimmy - you must be fishing for angry responses. Surely you can't be that . . . . . . . :P
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

""The internet is the perfect place for misunderstanding and skewing public perception...""

Yes - and it can be skewed both ways!!! ;)

I don't know Miles personally. But anyone who runs courses for the general (jumping) public with students of limited/no experience IS NOT DOING THE RIGHT THING. Nice guy or not, if he is running the course as described, he is wrong. If not apologies all round.

p.s. yes, there are many negative BASE jumpers out there. But there are also MANY positive ones who don't want more people added to "The List".

p.s.s - if his add was just to solicit attention. Well done. ;)

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

HI Aircanada

As you said, you are talking about outdoor adventure athletes adding another activity to an already impressive physical and mental skill set. This is where minimum jump numbers becomes less relevant. The skill set is important. I am a firm believer in cross skilling or skill transfer. I too am more likely to take a rock climber with excellent fitness / skills / ethics / personality on a BASE jump than a skydiver with 150 4way RW jumps at a big DZ.

BUT - advertising to the general public will attract individuals whose life experience is limited. As a result, there ability to handle themselves in BASE jumping is also limited - this in turn, means that they are exposed to much greater risk than people who have been paragliding and rock climbing for years.

p.s. Canada is an awesome place (was there October 2004). Loved the Rockies. Can't wait to go back. :)

I must say I am disturbed to see that people would actually spend the time to bash someone on the internet. I was actually pretty upset to see you guys talk smack about one of the coolest, most experienced based jumpers on the planet, Miles D.
Miles D. is my boy, and if anyone asked me, I would highly recommend learning from Miles. He rocks! And for everyone wasting time bashing others on dz.com, try getting off the keyboard and in the airplane or quit being so damn jealous. Don't hate cause you can't relate.

...most experienced based jumpers on the planet, Miles D.

Can you tell me what you are basing this opinion on?

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tom, can I ask you a question?

Why is it that when someone bashes miles or questions his motives and integrity you have no issue, but let someone say something nice, and you're all like, "And what are you basing that opinion on?"

I think Jeff has enough experience himself to recognize experience in others.

As the "moderator" I'd say you should keep your personal opinions where they belong, up your...

Anyway Miles has 650+ base jumps, a huge number of objects. He's close friends with many other jumpers with tons of experience. The sport happens to be his profesion. And canopies have been opening above his head for close to ten years.

Can we please at least agree on something...Miles is very experienced!

-jimmy

Miles is very experienced

and talented ...

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Anyway Miles has 650+ base jumps, a huge number of objects.

Then why do you ask ? Even if you count rollovers etc as base jumps (which many people don't) it still puts him behind about a hundred people worldwide. Definitely experienced, but far from "one of the most experienced". These little details make all the difference between life and death - here on the board even more than in real life :P

bsbd!

Yuri.

Wow,
great point. Many of these hundred or so people who have more jumps, which make them more experienced, although it certainly isn't just numbers that I'm basing my "one of the most experienced jumpers" opinion on, have those jumps from one object be it a bridge or a low cliff in their backyard and so it really isn't just numbers that I'm talking about anyway but a whole lot of factors including the number of different objects, years in general in the sport, how current a person is, and how much of thier time they spend engaged in the activity itself, and what I find really funny anyway is how petty this argument has become and many of mile's frineds will call him very experienced because we have learned a heck of a lot from him and have seen him work very hard through the years to be where he is, not that that is anywhere really anyway and other people balk at the mere mention that he can be called very experienced and maybe that's because the sport is so new and everyone involved thinks they are just as good as the other guy and we're supposed to be part a good funloving community that eteems every one just as much as the other and to call one person better than another is just so damn arrogent but you can tell how lame this is all getting and anyone who is still actually reading this must be just as over it as me.

Jimmy,

"can you tell me what you are basing this opinion on?" :P

How's that warm milk treatn' you Tom?

I can't believe that this will soon hit 10,000 views, just because Miles used the term "world famous"...

Less bitching, more jumping...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

Lets throw out the experience on converted skydiving gear and the early trail and error.
Where do you get the (behind about a hundred people wordwide)?

blues

jerry

edit to add IBTL

It has been nice watching this thread and seeing people speak for others.

Also the person who should chime in is Miles..

Although I have only made 2 Jumps with Miles and Shane I cant comment on them being "THE BEST".
better than me but not the BEST

in my limited experience base jumping, but much experience evaluating others in gymnastics.
I cant say that Miles is "THE BEST". he may be training now, but from what I have seen is that he is "TALENTED" at not getting broke!!!

HE does things the rest of us DONT and gets away with it.. Hopefully he does train and become more "CLEAN" with his aerials..
He does push the limits. he does make people upsset, and does things that WE may call unethical.

Obviously WE are all keeping this thread going..

SOOOO MILES IS FAMOUS..

you could be too.. get off your ass and jump..

Just My 2c not good not bad..
CHICKEN MAN
BASE 954

Hopefully he does train and become more "CLEAN" with his aerials.

Aerials are sooooo 1990's:P

May we live long and die out

Less bitching, more jumping...

Thats what I'm sayin... 300 ft B tonight, once again, I feel better. The workers on the 2nd floor said they didn't mind us parachuting, so its all good.

Sounds pretty hooked up. I did both of mine right in a row this last Monday morning :D. Boy was that a riot, I was shaking, have'nt come down shaking since the Gorge.
Soft landings
Adam

>>Aerials are sooooo 1990'<<

That's a nugget . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Tried to stay out, but this was great. *** "and to call one person better than another is just so damn arrogent"

Would that be as arrogant as proclaiming one's self "World Famous"? I think you have hit the nail on the head with that comment, and made the point perfectly clear. There are no world famous base jumpers, and I doubt there ever will be, other than being infamous with other jumpers.

Jimmy, that comment was so good, lets see that one more time: "and to call one person better than another is just so damn arrogent"

In Reply To
Hopefully he does train and become more "CLEAN" with his aerials.

Aerials are sooooo 1990's:P

Flat and stable is where it's at...:|
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

MILES IS THE BEST!!!

sorry, couldn't let this one die yet.

;)

BUY RADIX NOW!!

Yea, this one needs to hit 10,000 views...

Priceless...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime