Treejumps

The World Famous Miles D

"and how to fuck the sport for a couple bucks and a flashlight worth of limelight."

That's a Nugget . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Pepsi calls itself the choice of a whole generation. Does Coke care? Or call it egotistical?

C'mon now jimmy! I thought you were Miles' friend!
and you go calling him the "Pepsi" of BASE jumping! Now what's Red Bull gonna think about THAT??

I've jumped with Miles. We had a kickass time. I have never had a problem with him, his publicity or his personality. As far as his ethics are concerned, I can't judge him based on internet banter.

In the meantime, why don't y'all check out some video of Miles and Shane wowing all the gawkers at BD 2004! Sheeesh! what will those crazy kids come up with next? <----click here for video!

pope

Good Grief! Miles taught me how to pack inflight in an Albatross airplae (thanks man). He is a wealth of information and has probably helped countless for than me in this sport. Also, in the often lame-ass world of skydiving and base jumping he is a welcome sight for more reasons than I can count right now. I have never seen, or heard from someone who actually saw for themselves, Miles jumping unethically. Jeez, no offense, but if you're comparing Miles to Felix you obviously don't know him and havn't jumped with him.

Ginny

youi said:

In this thread i can see that there are a few close friends defending Miles at all cost, and everybody else biting him hard. This brings an obvious observation

Who is everyone else? This forum? Does this forum really represent the base jumping world? I'm sure a lot of Miles' base jumping friends don't bother with this forum.

Hey Treejumps (mark Kissner)

KILL YOURSELF

Jt, no f%ing class at all.

Jeez, no offense, but if you're comparing Miles to Felix you obviously don't know him and havn't jumped with him.

Ginny

Hey sistah...you maybe took an xtra pain pill tonight?...I was saying Miles is a good guy--I would never compare someone I actually LIKE to FELIX!!

Where did you get that??

edited to add:
And who says "good grief" anymore anyway? Who are you, Charlie Brown now?? ;)
pope

All right,
lets talk about teaching people to jump with little to no skydiving experience.

I may be crass, but I really don't care if you choose to learn to base jump with or without skydiving, that is a personal choice. Pretty much the only statistic you can count on is that eventually you will get hurt (or die) no matter how much experience you have in either sport.

Ginny

Hey sistah...you maybe took an xtra pain pill tonight?...I was saying Miles is a good guy--I would never compare someone I actually LIKE to FELIX!!

Where did you get that??

Sorry, I wasn't really replying to you, just to this whole witch-hunt thread. I don't really know how to post correctly (please don't teach me).

Ginny

In the mid 1980s Richtie Stein earned BASE 74, and made a hundred BASE jumps before his first skydive. His advise, and it's gospel, is don't do that . . .

The one thing we learn is we never learn.

NickD :)BASE 194

Why is everyone harshing Miles?

He is a very nice guy. Why, when I lived in Auburn, he came by for coffee every morning....

.....before sunrise....

....funny. He never drank any coffee. Oh well. I guess he just enjoyed watching me drink mine.

He always complimented me on my lovely home. Especially my long empty hall with the heavy rock on one end....

....seemed like such a nice fellow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I wonder how Red Bull would feel if this guy took some wuffo on a BASE jump that resulted in his or her highly publicized death or paralysis. -Chris

You guys are reading WAAAYYY too much into this.

Miles is a great guy. He is a good friend. He cares about people and their safety. He's just goofy. That ad just shows his personality. A little over the edge for some people.

I just think it's sick to hear people that don't even know him talk about the Darwin and the Gene Pool. What the hell is that all about?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Not everyone is harshing on him.
Some people stand up for him.
Some are just giving 2 cents.
Some are fully dissing him.
Sure, he's a nice guy, makes me laugh too.
His "way" has pissed a bunch of people off.
Piss people off, they come down here to vent.
It's a small community, you can't get away with much.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Gee, ya'll have alot of time on your hands around the computer, huh?

I don't have much in the way of BASE experience with 3 skydives and 5 base jumps, but I have the unique qualification (in this company) that I have actually taken the course with Miles.

I came to see Miles with the aforementioned 3 skydives, and alot of time flying paragliders... as well as plently of ground based flow sports. He was recommended by a number of friends.

Obviously I'm not familer with skydiving / BASE instruction, but I do know about learning new activites and ones involving nylon and air in particular.

I was impressed with Miles conscientious... almost anal approach to pack job, gear inspection, pre- jump checks, site / landing inspection. I felt safe with the man.

While I was in TF I watched a number of jumps by experienced jumpers with poor openings, off headings, and very nasty looking landings.

I'm not qualified to have an opinion on whether teaching non- skydivers to base jump is a good idea. There is certainly a precedent for it with climbers paraglider pilots like OJ or Santa begining BASE with no skydiving experience (at the outset). These are, of course, incredible athletes who cannot be compared to general populace.

From what I could see at the bridge, skydivers themselves lack some KEY skills for the BASE environment... tight landing skills, excellent canopy control (far inferior to what even a basic aerobatic paraglider pilot has), and athletisism (noone even walks out of the the canyon... how lame is that?)

Obivously, if you are going to jump objects with any sort of delay to them, you will need to spend time jumping out of planes to gain even a modicum of a safety margin.

But is this necessary before making your first jumps at the bridge? Maybe, maybe not.

It could equally well be argued that BASE jumpers might save themselves some death and injury by learning to climb and land paragliders in small LZ's... judging by what sort of accidents show up on the BASE fatality list.

In short, I liked Miles, I felt safe with him, I felt confident in his knowledge... and I will go back to spend more time with him.

As for the whole self promotion issue... the guy works for Red Bull, you fucking dipshits.

He gets paid to sell product. RB sells product by associating with "coolness". Public only knows about "coolness" when you tell them how cool something is.

This is how the modern marketing game works. Hate the game, not the player. In my experience very few companies endorse atheletes based solely (or in many cases, even based largely) upon their physical talents. It's their ability to raise public interest, get the brand name out there, and move product.

This results in plenty of unknown "Joe Rad's" kicking around out there, who are more talented than the well known, sponsored atheletes. That's the way it goes.

This has all seemed in rather poor taste. I'm sure that there are better ways to express your disapproval of a new business venture than calling someone a "dick".

To anyone thinking of taking the course... give the man a call.

Josh Briggs
Canmore AB Canada
5 jumps: 3 HH w/ 1.5-3sec delay all on own pack jobs. Going back...

edit to remove names by standing request of named individual. ~TA

you fucking dipshits.

This has all seemed in rather poor taste. I'm sure that there are better ways to express your disapproval of a new business venture than calling someone a "dick".

Like calling them "you fucking dipshits" perhaps????:S

The one thing we learn is we never learn.

This really does make no sense.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

it does make sense...............

it is so so true..................

I understand exactly what Nick means.

So do I, but the statement makes no logical sense as it is inherently self-contradictory ;-)
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

It's meant to be ironic. Why are we even discussing this? :S

I guess you can equate nonsensical with ironic...

I understand exactly what Nick means.

So do I, but the statement makes no logical sense as it is inherently self-contradictory ;-)

Live long and prosper:P
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

yes your right this really is nonsensical, irony well im not so sure - but then again you Americans really dont understand irony much any way! :P

who cares about the detail of specifics on Irony / nonsensical - we all know what it means and we understand that it is true.................

who gives a shit apart from the fact we know its right...................

children stop that!!

don't have much in the way of BASE experience with 3 skydives and 5 base jumps, but I have the unique qualification (in this company) that I have actually taken the course with Miles.

and you are one ofg thouse people most people here tryes to get a safer way into BASE,dont you call people shit when you dont understand..>:(

Obviously I'm not familer with skydiving / BASE instruction, but I do know about learning new activites and ones involving nylon and air in particular.

which might kill you one day.Sewing dresses in nylon wont save your ass...

While I was in TF I watched a number of jumps by experienced jumpers with poor openings, off headings, and very nasty looking landings.

which is why people like you shouldnt jump... thouse things can heppen to you aswell as an experienced,problem is that you might dont know what to do about it..

Obivously, if you are going to jump objects with any sort of delay to them, you will need to spend time jumping out of planes to gain even a modicum of a safety margin.

so people whith no skydive experience should be SL/PCA/TARD/Mcconkey BASEjumpers?? or how do you think they will learn how to freefall(stabel)?

In short, I liked Miles, I felt safe with him, I felt confident in his knowledge... and I will go back to spend more time with him.

I hope he thinks the same about you,going back will atleast give you an experienced to help you out.
How many do you belive that does the same? do you think its safe for them to go BASE jumping regular (if we say they have the same experience as you)???

Dont flame people who care about you!!!

I personaly dont have any thing on Miles.I never meet him and probaly never will.But it dont take away my oppinin that i think its STUPID in a sport as BASE to teach people whith that smal amout of experience for parachutes..

Just my oppinion...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

General Warning to All:

I see a lot of short, insulting, attack posts in this thread. I'm banning JTHolmesJR, because that seems to be all he wants to contribute.

I won't ban Treejumps or Huckfinn right now, because you are both at least trying to discuss in addition to throwing insults.

However, from here on, even if your post has redeeming qualities (i.e. actual discussion of the issues), I'll ban anyone who includes anything that even comes close to a personal attack.

Calm down, folks. We can talk without screaming.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com