Treejumps

The World Famous Miles D

In fact, Miles was one of the only people that I asked for advice when I was learning how to do double and triple gainers in ID. So yes, he did teach me a little something.

Miles is perhaps one of the nicest, friendliest guys that I have met, and I smile every time I see him. He just has a different style, different needs, different reasons for jumping- I guess. And I don't always agree with what my friends do...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

LOL amen to that.

Also - Tree - I respect most of what you say - but I know a couple of BTeamers, and they are very intelligent people that I personally would have no issue learning base from. They respect the base world and the underlying ethics rather nicely - not burning sites, integrating with the current locale of base'ers. I've never heard anything but good about those folks... That and one of em sold me a beautiful rig ;-)

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

I'm sure I probably shouldn't even reply to this rediculous thread. But this a personal attack on a very close personal friend of mine.

Miles Daisher is by far one of the most talented BASE jumpers in the sport. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. His skill speaks for itself. If almost going in on a single jump meant you were no good, then none of us are any good.

His ethics, as if that really matters, are impeccable. He would never do anything to endanger the sport, and if people think he would or has, they are ill-informed and know nothing about what they are talking about.

In fact, Miles is doing more for the sport than anyone. Period. Everyone who has a problem with him, in fact, have problems with their own jealousy issues. Miles has worked very, very hard to be where he is in both sports: BASE as well as skydiving.

He does require a student to have Skydives before teaching them to BASE jump. You all have him confused with Shane, who will teach his friends without prior skydiving experience. As if that matters.

People should beware of joining in on others who have problems with Mile's BASE school because many of them are trying to begin their own BASE schools. They try to belittle him because he is the most qualified BASE jumper to teach any level of the sport and he poses a huge amount of competition.

Would I rather have a friend of mine learn from Miles, whose most severe injury to date is a scratched thumb or Mr. Tom who actually did go in at twin and who is lucky to be alive.

This sport is becoming a joke. Filled with jealous children who can't stand to see other jumpers achieve success.

And Mr. Tree Jumps. I have never seen you post anything positive on this forum. You betray your unhappiness with all your unecessary criticism of those you don't know.

Would you please just suck your thumb quietly.

In fact, Miles is doing more for the sport than anyone. Period

Sorry Jimmy but i dont see it,perhaps as im on the other side of the pond,But all i see to Miles is as he is in a tv show or somthing. yes he did some badass shit(i wont dublicate his naked jump on Baffin island:oB|) But i actualy never saw him doing anything for the sport besides Joining iit and is ucky enough to have sponsors.
Does that make me jaloux? perhaps abit,but not enough that it would lead to slamming at him whith out reasson.
IF Miles are teaching people how to BASE whith 0 or close to 0 skydives then I think his wrong,and i will say so.NOT becours his sponsored but becours i dont want anymore to die in this sport..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

And Mr. Tree Jumps. I have never seen you post anything positive on this forum.

Dunno, stuff he does in the real world (like saving a certain Russian wingsuit flyer from drowning in Norway) counts for more in my book. But yes he does come across as a bit of a Negative Nancy on the internet. As far as this thread, I don't know the guy involved or the full story so can't comment. Maybe everyone else who doesn't know the full story or the people involved shouldn't comment either.

Will

I would have to say yes, he has taught me, whether he realized it or not. A lot of people have. Miles, though, taught me about pushing limits, I have watched (and heard of) him do things I never would imagine doing. Now I am at a point (in one year) where I never imagined I would ever be. The first aerial I saw in real life was Miles doing a wild turkey, or something or other, in Twin. That was close to six months ago, and I just did my first double gainer off of MG in Moab last week. I have done more than a dozen triples off of the potato, numerous other aerials. Not that that is meant to impress, but I never imagined I would be where I am right now, and at least a little of that motivation came from, yes, "the world famous" Miles Dasher. Second, I wouldn't want him to teach my family, no. I wouldn't want anyone to teach my family, solely because I wouldn't want them to BASE jump, it would scare me too much. So I guess that answers your questions, and I thank you, you made me think about that one ;). I think how Peter said it works well for me too, I don't always agree with my friends, but they will remain my friends.
cheers everyone.
Adam

All right,
lets talk about teaching people to jump with little to no skydiving experience.

Let's keep in mind that no one will ever agree on a fixed number.

Fist of all, the main reason a person needs prior experience is canopy recognition and control. But if proir canopy exerience is neccessary before teaching someone to fly a canopy, then how do people learn to skydive? All you can do is explain to them what is probably going to happen, what could happen, and what shouldn't happen but still might. Then you explain to them what to do in a variety of situations. Then you throw them off a bridge or out of a plane.

I am obviously talking about teaching people at Twin. It's a bridge over water remember? And they will have a maximum canopy flight of fifteen to twenty seconds. They won't have time to fly anywhere dangerous. At the DZ we send static line students out of a plane with zero prior experience and they have 3,000 feet to fly anywhere they like. Sometimes that means off into the sunset.

I'm more concerned with people getting the 100 pre-requisite jumps then ending there skydiving career. As if after 100 skydives, you know everything you need to know about body flight and nylon.

All of this is dealing with individuals and huge grey areas. Some people are born ready and others never will be.

But lets remember, we do want our sport to grow. Growth is the one thing that will lead to the legitimazation of our sport and legal sites world wide. By representing our sport VERY WELL to the general public, often on TV, Miles is doing more than anyone.

He is an amzing person, highly skilled, and plays well to the general television audience. THAT IS NOT A BAD THING!

Sometimes it seems as though BASE jumpers want the sport to remain underground. Like fans who are dissapointed when a garage band gets famous, they would rather it stay small, obscure, and generally unknown.

BASE jumping, as a sport is blowing up, and yes a few key people will appear to have the lime light. It just so happens that Miles deserves any amount of success he attains. I have known him since '97 and have watched him work very hard.

-jimmy

His ethics, as if that really matters, are impeccable. He would never do anything to endanger the sport, and if people think he would or has, they are ill-informed and know nothing about what they are talking about.

In this thread i can see that there are a few close friends defending Miles at all cost, and everybody else biting him hard. This brings an obvious observation:

I hope you are right and Miles is a nice person in real life. If that is the case, the image he chooses to project outside is grossly mismatched. It comes out very arrogant, and for people who don't know him personaly a lasting impression is very unpleasant. He will continue to take $hit if such image does not get adjusted, and it sucks even more if it happens for artificial reasons.

I doubt that competing base schools have anything to do with it. The whole issue started long before that.

bsbd!

Yuri.

P.S. I cannot recall any world-famous base jumpers ever advertising themselves as such :P

THe reason you will find his friends defending him at all cost is because those who know him and are not jealous of what he can do/has done, will not not stand for this rediculous abuse.

What does it matter what he calls himself? Famous, not famous, world famous? Who cares?

My god, we're talking about what shows up in the press. Learn some PR. Pepsi calls itself the choice of a whole generation. Does Coke care? Or call it egotistical?

Why is it when someone does something that someone else doesn't like, the first thing that happens is that a post gets made, trying to influence "public" opinion about them. I wonder out of all the posts stating that someone believes that someone else is a dick, if there was ever a call made. I bet that Miles has a phone number, and I would also assume that it would be more appropriate to call him, tell him you feel that he is acting like a punk, and when he tells you to f-off, then slam him online.

The internet is the perfect place for misunderstanding and skewing public perception... There are people online here that I would love to choke. But I don't think there is a jumper that I've met in person that I didn't really like. But slamming on someone that is never going to come on here to defend themselves is silly... Jimmy, Miles owes you a beer...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

but peter, moutain dew is a pepsi product....

when will there be a base jumpers virtual boxing site?
when i get bored i visit here for the drama/comedy factor......play on..........

edited to say......is Tom A. asleep or at lunch?

What does it matter what he calls himself? Famous, not famous, world famous? Who cares?

Actualy a lot of jumpers care, a majority perhaps. The key word here is "arrogant". There are different ways to present yourself on TV. Some get a lot of respect, take Jeb for example. Others do not. When somebody lowers himself down to a clown level and makes a fool of himself in front of an audience and especially in front of other jumpers, he is treated as such. Look at Felix. Miles is closing up on the same image.

I doubt that jealosity is a major player here. Many of the jumpers critisizing Miles make a better living that he does, and some are arguably better and more experienced base jumpers :P

My god, we're talking about what shows up in the press. Learn some PR. Pepsi calls itself the choice of a whole generation. Does Coke care? Or call it egotistical?

Speaking of PR: there is a common and well-supported opinion that Red Bull encourages ethically questionable stunts to gather maximum attention. This brings another whole issue of "selling out".

bsbd!

Yuri.

Fist of all, the main reason a person needs prior experience is canopy recognition and control.

I'm not a BASE jumper (yet), and I hope I'm not going too far off topic with this post, but I'm curious how important terminal freefall body skills are. Is there any place in the BASE environment that you can safely experience terminal freefall for the first time? I'm under the impression (though I could be very wrong) that the only terminal BASE jumps you can do are within close proximity to a wall that you run a high risk of backing into if you either don't know (a) how to exit properly and (b) how to control your body in both sub-terminal and terminal freefall. The only places I can think of to learn freefall skills safely are skydiving and wind tunnels.

Not trying to say I know anything here. Just spitting out my current perception and begging anybody to correct me if I'm wrong. Terminal BASE jumps (with a WS) are one of my ultimate goals in the sport of parachuting. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

"arrogence" Exactly! I'm arrogent, a lot of people I know are arrogent, but miles is anything but arrogent. He is funny, sometimes silly, and maybe a little cocky, but not arrogent.

I've seen all the same stuff as everyone else, and to call his representation of the sport arrogent is nothing short of ignorant.

You bring up Jeb. I don't know him so I won't call him arrogent, but my guess is that he is so well respected because he doesn't need to be sponsored to go the places he goes. Had anyone else footed his bills, an energy drink company for instance, his reputation may be different. Not because of himself or his true personality, but because of the sport's apparent general disgust of those who have "sold out." I'd like to know how Miles has sold or out or anyone else for that matter. Miles has never done anything he wouldn't have done regardless of sponsorship. But sometimes Red Bull foots the bill, and that's when you see it.

90% of what Miles has done was done under the cover of darkness. All Red Bull does is occasionally pay for the daylight.

I wonder how Red Bull would feel if this guy took some wuffo on a BASE jump that resulted in his or her highly publicized death or paralysis. -Chris
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

"arrogence" Exactly! I'm arrogent, a lot of people I know are arrogent, but miles is anything but arrogent.

Notice Nick DG's comment about quietly walking away at Bridge Day ? I've done the same ;) It may have been a mistake and once again i hope you are right.

This is the key: Miles may be nice but his image is hopelessly arrogant and that, the image, needs to be fixed. I know a bit about this because i have created my own arrogant image in the good old days of rec.skydiving. It was fun while it lasted, but took some effort to get rid of later in life.

You bring up Jeb. I don't know him so I won't call him arrogent, but my guess is that he is so well respected because he doesn't need to be sponsored to go the places he goes.

That is correct. Jeb is respected because he makes a lot of money by doing what he does without selling out or being sponsored. He does not work as a clown but rather runs his own show. This is a true skill and something to be jealous about ;)

bsbd!

Yuri.

Maybe the same way Go Fast felt when a highly experienced jumper died at one of their events.

I wonder how Red Bull would feel if this guy took some wuffo on a BASE jump that resulted in his or her highly publicized death or paralysis. -Chris

A lot of publicity, of any kind, will bring more customers and more sales, just like skydiving fatalities bring more students to DZs. Red Bull would feel happy.

bsbd!

Yuri.

Perhaps, but a highly experienced jumper is fairly different than an uneducated wuffo sold on the idea of making a nearly risk free base jump - a realm where a lack of skill can easily result in a disaster.

I certainly don't care a bit about the so-called arrogance of any jumper. Jumpers seem to have very large but fragile egos, myself included. Arrogance doesn't bother me a bit though.

The lack of skill issue is critical. It was a lack of skill on my part in 1996 when I shattered my femur and landed on an ant bed. I repeat, the skill issue is critical and I think it is wrong to sell the idea of base to the wuffo public. But hey, maybe there are actually some criteria he uses for screening potential jumpers.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

You bring up Jeb. I don't know him so I won't call him arrogent, but my guess is that he is so well respected because he doesn't need to be sponsored to go the places he goes.

If he's not sponsored, how does he accomplish this?
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

Hello,
It is tough when some of your friends don't like some of your friends.
The BASE community is still fairly small, so it's hard to avoid.
I do consider MD a friend, but his "way" just plain sucks.
Now some will come to his defense, some will not.
Other mutual friends will comment…….

Sorry Jimmy, but I have to ask:

>>Miles Daisher is by far one of the most talented BASE jumpers<<

What?! How do you figure?
How is his talent far better than yours or mine?

>>His ethics, as if that really matters, are impeccable.<<

He is a day-blazing clown who snubs his peers.

>>In fact, Miles is doing more for the sport than anyone. Period.<<

What is he doing that is good for you or me?

>>He is the most qualified BASE jumper to teach the sport.<<

There are so many others with so much more to offer.

I talked to Miles in the parking lot on Bridge Day. When asked about his antics at Twin, he said "we" had it all wrong. According to him, all the stuff was made up, he was playing by all the rules. He did not seem to care at all about the problems BASE jumpers face, and did not care to hear about self-regulation at all.

The Red Bull guys were cool and all.
If you think playing with poop is cool.
(Yes, literally, the RB Airforce was having a great time toying with a pile of their own poop, and smearing it on the hood of their rental car).
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

OK Jimmy, brother

First, I don't know you, I haven't met you, I don't have many BASE jumps (84) or skydives (414) and I haven't been in the sport of BASE jumping for more than a little over a year.....

BUT,
I read a lot, I try to be well informed about most things, especially BASE, my eyes and brain work just fine, so does my video camera and I happened to have spent a week or two in TF over summer, SO:

Please see below for some FACTS that contradict some of your erroneous statements.

I'm sure I probably shouldn't even reply to this rediculous thread. But this a personal attack on a very close personal friend of mine.

it's spelled like this: ridiculous

He does require a student to have Skydives before teaching them to BASE jump.

NO, he doesn't.

The first time I met Miles was at the visitor centre parking lot. I introduced myself and he was really friendly to me.

He was just prepping two students to do their first BASE jumps, which would incidentally also be their first parachute descents, at least this is what they told me, as did Miles.

So I got geared up, strolled out with them and some other folks on a lovely sunny day and did some BASE jumps.

I have video. I also have video of his students' 2nd jumps, front flip TARDS - now that's some kind of student progression, eh?

By the way, they were on squares and the sum of their protective equipment was this: boardshorts.....

I also happen to know PERSONALLY of at least one more student of Miles' with no skydives. I'm sure there are more.

You all have him confused with Shane, who will teach his friends without prior skydiving experience. As if that matters.

NO, I don't have him confused with Shane, whom I met at BD, I can tell them apart.

I am obviously talking about teaching people at Twin. It's a bridge over water remember? And they will have a maximum canopy flight of fifteen to twenty seconds. They won't have time to fly anywhere dangerous.

Jimmy, buddy.
I've seen people exceed 20 seconds canopy flight at TF.
I've seen plenty of people fly into dangerous areas at TF.
And I've seen people get hurt even landing in the water.

Those, Jimmy, are the FACTS, as witnessed by me (and many others), as captured on video by me (and many others).

Please do not make statements, that are contrary to facts that can be proven, even in defense of your dear friend, ethically-challenged Miles D.

This is a valuable thread, let's try to keep the personal opinions at bay and stick to the facts and productive, intelligent correspondence.

all the best

sam

soon to be gone

>>Miles Daisher is by far one of the most talented BASE jumpers in the sport.<<

Yikes!

Bartender, I'll have a line over on the rocks, and make that a double . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Jimmy,

Its really hard to know where to begin. Are we talking about the same Miles? Most talented? Miles cannot hold a candle to Jeb, and many many others. Frankly, I'll take the Pepsi chaallenge with Miles' jumping. What a laugh. Most capable to teach? Not by a long shot. Ethics: He has NONE. Doing what for BASE? Selling it out for a shitty living and all the glory he can get. Miles has never made his own way in jumping. He rode the tails of truly talented jumpers, used their contacts, and is willing to do any stupid pet trick to garner attention.

If he had even a tiny sack, he would be on here defending himself. But frankly, this is not an attack and therefore cannot be defended. The facts are what they are. Miles acts as he acts, and his pathetic "world famous" ad is just the icing on the cake.

I'm all for base jumpers getting paid to jump, not that there is any real money in it, nor will there ever be. BASE is the friends you jump with, and the objects you jump. Its not meant to be an attention gathering sport for those who got stuffed in lockers in high school. Miles is the poster child of how not to do base, and how to fuck the sport for a couple bucks and a flashlight worth of limelight.

BTW Jimmy, when I met Miles in 99' he was recovering from a broken leg from a base jump. Of course I only knew it becasue you coudn't be around him for 5 minutes before he told you. That is a bit more than a scratch. I wouldn't have brought it up since we nearly all break something, but since you brought up records.

Incidentally, your whole crowd seems to have these problems. Your static line on your FX at 2002 very nearly ended your career. A brilliiant move. Perhaps a little self examination is in order. And finally, I am a very happily married new daddy who owns and runs his own successful business; thanks for inquiring about my state of mind. I am just doing my part to try to preserve base. If you and yours weren't fucking it up, I wouldn't have to set you straight, and you wouldn't think me such a bad guy.

Grow up.