rfarris

Turkey Boogie!

i NEVER use the rubberbands to my multi no matter if its open or closed. i simly s fold in nicely on the top of the packjob(well a Faber nicely way anyway:ph34r::D)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

And a front flip into 1.5 line twists off Tombstone.

Was brits17 like the second one to jump off tombstone on saturday?

And does anyone know who was the one near the end that the pilot was thrown at the top but they had a long fall before canopy opened?

Videos of questions.. WMV format may need to download.. Small file size
Front Flip twist

Late open

The PC in tow was Peterk.
Lucky fucker!:)~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Mmmmmm, groundrush....

I posted this on the rubberband thread, but it sucked bad enough to put here too...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

Jesus Peter. I'm glad that one worked out for you. We have big plans don't go messing them up;).

I'll call you riiight now.

Was brits17 like the second one to jump off tombstone on saturday?

Nope, not on Saturday. I saw Kieran do one, might have been him in your video.

Peter! I never did get a chance to talk to you about your PC in tow, I got phone-jacked.

I can't tell you how glad I am everything turned out alright. Don't jump those black death rubber bands anymore! Of course, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that one;)

Katie.

Doubt it would've towed if the delay had been a little more hairy chested.

Delay is good...for separation, increased snatch (Ooer Mrs!!) crisp openings and general manliness.

A solid 3 is about right for that hill.

Cowboy up!;)

Don't forget the principles the old crusty folks proved our for us.
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

yup, the front flip twist video from tombstone on saturday is kieran.:S
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

yup, the front flip twist video from tombstone on saturday is kieran.:S

is that the ozzie kieran?

yup:ph34r:
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

Yeah, I clucked at him like a chicken right over the radio before he went... and he still didn't do a gainer. C'mon, I did it when YOU clucked.

Kieran went second, I was third, we both did fronts, so it was one of us if it was Saturday.

WOW!! What a great time.

I had a great time, too! I am not a BASE jumper yet, so I just went to spectate the Friday and Saturday jumps. Great views and pictures! Hope to jump with you guys next year :)

Nope, no line twists, but it did look uncomfortable.

Handyman-Tyler's post included these 2 videos. The front flip and Peter's PC in tow. I put them here so you won't have to use too much energy scrolling up. :)

Front Flip twist

Late open

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

just spoken to Kieran! love the way he down plays that video!
good to speak to you again mate! - love ya work! shame you have to move coz of cash!
[:/]

Woah dood. Glad that worked out.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Rauk recently wrote

I almost lost a friend to a simple little rubber band

do you really believe this?
I spoke wiith an eyewitnesss to this incident, ( an eyewitness that showed good sense to walk down from the site because he was uncomfortable with prevailing wind conditions).
He told me that the jumper in question clearly took
less than a 1 second delay prior to releasing his PC.

That short of a delay is asking for trouble with any bridle attachment system IMO

The black band MAY have been a contributing factor, ( Apex thinks it was prudent to discuss this incident in their announcement),
BUT
I think it is much more likely that the short delay was the primary reason for this near bounce.

Sometimes pilot error hurts us.
Sometimes Gear error hurts us.

Best to keep an eye on both.

stay safe.

kleggo

"do you really believe this?"

Absolutely. My system wouldn't have hung up regardless of delay type.

do you really believe this?
I spoke wiith an eyewitnesss to this incident, ( an eyewitness that showed good sense to walk down from the site because he was uncomfortable with prevailing wind conditions).
He told me that the jumper in question clearly took
less than a 1 second delay prior to releasing his PC.

I saw the entire jump clearly from the ground as well, plus several times on video. He *may* not have taken a complete 1 second, but it was damn close. Besides, the delay should be almost irrelevant if he set up the gear properly.

That short of a delay is asking for trouble with any bridle attachment system IMO

Huh? Are you saying that all jumps should require at least a second delay?... :S And if you had seen the jump or video, once again, he clearly did not release his PC prematurely.

Not irrelevant. Delay is never irrelevant. Physics says otherwise.

Try holding onto your canopy when you throw it out of the window of your SUV. Tough huh?

Now try it on your skate board.

In a 3 second delay you could've chained that bastard up and it would've opened.

Ok, not really...but you get my drift.

It would be pretty complacent to believe any aspect of a jump is irrelevant. BASE is about reduction of variation. Consistency is the key. If you can truely eliminate variation then BASE is truely safe.

Black rubber has been around for ever. This wasn't the first time this has happened. I have tons of this stuff on video. This was (as usual) a number of contributors stacking up but for every contributor to disaster there is an appropriate countermeasure which was lacking.

Throw 'n goes will always be an increased risk (how much I wouldn't try to quantify but more risk is worse)due to the relatively small forces involved. I'll jump the black fukkers on a terminal jump any day (although I still wouldn't recommend it...right tool for the right job). Throw and go? No thanks.

Grow some hair on your chest, Jedi. 2.5 to 3 seconds will keep you alive longer from this big stuff. Hurling on launch is never guaranteed to be the most expeditious method for extracting your canopy.

The quest for increasing snatch doesn't mean we're looking for more basejumping chicks (no more hate mail please. That was another joke)

Stay safe
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

You're right, its never irrelevant. I was just trying to make the point that in this circumstance, I believe a multi should function regardless of delay time if set up properly.

Only if you rig it correctly, right on.

I know Brits, I'm picking. But this forum is aimed at newbies so all the experienced jumpers (you included) need to ensure your responses, if technical are correct and exhaustive. This is the main reason I hardly ever post technical threads. I'd hate to think that I was responsible for poor info cos I only have a few (drunken) minutes to spare to write a below par response.

Your post would've raised no eyebrows on the BASE board.

I've been thinking recently that maybe the more experienced jumpers may be a part of the problem for the newer guys. Half the time our posts don't stand close scrutiny unless you already have a certain amount of familiarity and expertise to follow the threads closely.

Perhaps we assume too much. Perhaps we should keep these threads on Blinc?

In the interests of keeping this a newbie thread and therefore less deeply technical...how about you and me gettin' it on sometime?
:P

I'll be thinking of you in the men's room.

:o
$kin.

It was a pleasure sharing an exit point with you Craig.;)
:)
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"