rfarris

Turkey Boogie!

WOW!! What a great time.

Many thanks to Jimmy and Marta, and most especially thanks to those who reached down and grabbed my hand and helped me up to the top.

This was my first trip, and I'm at a loss of words trying to describe it.

If I may, I attached a few "generic" stills.. I have many more.

Thanks again, and congrats to the Texans and their qualifying BASE # jumps, myself included.

Rod

Edit: The moon shot I took just outside Vertigo after registering for the Boogie.

Ditto!
I had an awesome time! Just got back home finally... it's a long drive!

It was great to meet everyone (too many to name...) as well. Can't wait to do it again!!

Jen
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

That was a wicked good time. I had a wonderful time meeting all the people that I did, and all that I didn't, well, maybe next time. Thanks again Jimmy and Marta, and everyone else who helped make it happen.

Yes indeed, the Turkey boogie was a great time this year despite the less than perfect weather. I made five jumps in total (including one off of a new exit point) and got to witness some scary stuff (a cliff strike, a pilot chute in tow and a nasty line twist jump off of a forward flip) to serve as a reminder that this is not a safe sport.

I'm definitely looking forward to my next Moab trip. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

...got to witness some scary stuff (a cliff strike, a pilot chute in tow and a nasty line twist jump off of a forward flip)...

Ok, so do we get to hear the details to these incidents (or see some video)? Did anyone get hurt?

Ok, so do we get to hear the details to these incidents (or see some video)?

Two of the incidents (pc in tow and line twists) happened to DZ.com regulars. So I thought they would do a better job telling us in their own words what happened than to get my view. As for the wall strike, I saw it happen, but I don't know the details of what caused the wall strike.

Did anyone get hurt?

The fellow who hit the wall suffered a leg injury, but he got very very lucky. He landed in a part of the tallis void of many big bolders. It could have, should have been much worse.

Yeah! What grand times. Enjoyed everyone's company once again. Major props to Jimmy and Marta for the organization and dinner Thursday eve.

Did some interesting jumps, including my 100th (rollover off 210 ft - Welshman's wall). And a front flip into 1.5 line twists off Tombstone, its all good, I needed a little excitement.

Today is quite depressing, real world and finals just don't cut it compared to Moab. Until next time...

Damn good time!!! THANK YOU to Jimmy and Marta and all the local guides etc. that made the boogie such an amazing event!
Like Rod, this was my first visit to Moab, so thank you to everyone who helped me get to some great exit points, and shared their knowledge and energy!!
I hope to see all of y'all again soon, thanks for the jumps, and the memories......
Special congrats to Jenn and Rod (and I'm sure a few others) who completed BASE....it just keeps getting better ;)

C-ya
Blair

O yea...I attached a pic of a couple of the coolest Texas BASE dudes I know....anyone got pics to share of the INCREDIBLY HOT BASE chics from Texas ....;)

The PC in tow was VERY interesting and in my opinion deserves it's own thread. When I get time I will start that, if the person doesn't beat me to it. Factors included were the multi attachment point. If it wasn't off of the frozen pizza (i.e. a lower exit) it would not have been a good thing at all. More to come.

What exactly is a PC in tow in BASE jumping?
I always new it in skydiving terms as a total malfunction where the main container never opens resulting in (hopefully) a reserve ride.

What exactly is a PC in tow in BASE jumping?
I always new it in skydiving terms as a total malfunction where the main container never opens resulting in (hopefully) a reserve ride.

Think container lock.
For some reason, the pilot chute isn't generating enough drag to open the container and extract the parachute.

It could be a pilot chute issue. Possiblities include:
Worn out, damaged, wrong size pilot chute for the planned delay, or random freak occurence such as bridle tangling with/pinching off the pilot chute.

Or the pilot chute can be just fine, but something prevents the container from opening.
Possibilities include:
Mis-routed bridle, improper closing procedures, a poorly/improperly functioning shrivel flap on a velcro container, too much tension on the closing loop(s) of a pin rig, and so on.

It's always a bit disconcerting to hear about this type of problem.
If anyone can shed light on the specifics of this incident, it'd be much appreciated.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

wrk sux
can't stay in my seat for more than 15min at a time
must go back and jump some the exits i missed

thx everyone

Was this a PC in tow with the container closed or the one with the container open and the bridle locked in the multi locking band?
Memento Audere Semper

..or the one with the container open and the bridle locked in the multi locking band?

Hmm, I don't know how a multi is packed. I've never seen someone pack it up close. Is it possible to explain in writing what a PC in tow on the multi locking bands is?
If no one was killed I presume then that it was a temporary PC in tow, right?

If no one was killed I presume then that it was a temporary PC in tow, right?

Yes

Up by the yoke, there's several rubberbands to stow the multi bridle. If one of these hangs up, the PC is pulling on the stow and can't extract the canopy until the stow releases.

Special congrats to Jenn and Rod (and I'm sure a few others) who completed BASE...

Thanks! Can't wait to find out what my #'s going to be...

attached a pic of a couple of the coolest Texas BASE dudes I know....anyone got pics to share of the INCREDIBLY HOT BASE chics from Texas ....

:$:$:P hehehe...
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

anyone got pics to share of the INCREDIBLY HOT BASE chics from Texas ....;)

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=32200;

bsbd!

Yuri.

DOH! How'd I figure that thing would come back to haunt me ;):$

And thanks for the actual BASE pic Rod! Congrats on completing the acronym. :P

wowee nioce pic... no need to be haunting...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

That's exactly what happened. Actually to our dear friend on borrowed gear. The setup used black rubber bands (full) and we asked someone who knew about multi's and she said they are cutting these black bands in half now. I know nothing about the multi, but I personally don't like it. Again I say personally, I know a lot of people like them/jump them and setup right I see the benefit. This particular situation ended in a hand held 1/2 second jump turning into a 3 1/2 second pilot chute tow. It was not cool. I don't know how people are setting up these multi's and I know that the recommended way is with half a black rubber band (or regular bands) but if anyone is still using a full black stow, DON'T! PLEASE! I almost lost a friend to a simple little rubber band (and then who would I jump with?:P). I was going to do a new thread, but hopefully enough people will see this and spread it around if it isn't already well known. I am not saying the multi is bad, I think what I am getting at is not done correctly (like with anything in this sport) it CAN kill you.

That is quite the badass pic there Brits, and some quite badass jumping you did, too. I only wish I would have jumped MG again, once just wasn't enough. Hell, I would like a nice pic of me from that angle too, that's sick.
See you guys soon I hope.
Adam