TomAiello

A new BASE book

thanks for the heads up... just ordered one myself...

Shit Tom, your on the ball.

I bought the Norwegian version about 3 weeks ago hoping to fathom something from it...

Looks like Faber gets an early christmas present. ;)

Just ordered mine too, at a touch over £13.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

Shit Tom, your on the ball.

Actually, I am just lucky enough to have had the author email me when it hit publication. I had asked him about an English version some time ago, and he had promised to let me know when it came out.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

A Norwegian version? Where can I buy it?

Ove

Do, or do not. There is no try.

contact Quickdraw (on this forum aswell) i know he has that copy and want the english one..:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Is it possible to buy it (in english) somewhere in Europe?

$14.40 just for shipping seems to be alot for such a little book...

That's right mate i do have a copy. ;)

So if your hankering for it Ove (or anyone Norwegian really), pm me your address and i'll fire it your way.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

Is it possible to buy it (in english) somewhere in Europe?

$14.40 just for shipping seems to be alot for such a little book...

You could try Amazon ;)

I received my copy today and just finished reading it. It is a good read. I would definately recommend it.

Kris.

edited for spelling.

just got my copy too and cant put it down ! a truly inspiring tale ,
one thing though ,I paid $14.40 for shipping from US to Ireland ,only to find my copy was printed in ,and shipped from UK :S
Should have only cost $4 - $5

I finished reading it Thursday on my way to the MoFo Boogie. It is interesting to read but I kept imagining it taking place a long time ago. Partially due to B&W photos and the car they used for their trip, but it appears the guy is only in his 40's and the dates were early/mid 80's. Their thoughts regarding BASE are very unique in comparison with today due to BASE being in it's infancy at the time. Can you imagine bringing some girls on a suburbia jump to distract the guards in today's world? Hell, they'd throw the girls in jail. They also jumped in some pretty bad conditions; high winds and rain, which I hear most people refrain from these days.

I know nothing of the three people other than what I read in the book, but it seems like BASE jumping was not a lifestyle for them. It was more of a means to an end, getting their BASE number. From my LIMITED exposure to BASE, the culture of BASE is much more of a lifestyle today, with many jumpers quitting skydiving all together to pursue it. Some have never even applied for their BASE numbers because that it not what it is about for them. From the book it sounds like these three men stopped BASE jumping after they had achieved their goal.

These guys went in search of the objects necessary for their numbers with a "Survived that one, what's next attitude". Today, the goal seems to be jump and live so you can jump again rather than viewing jumping as steps to get somewhere.

I would have liked to had a lot more details which would have enabled me to more clearly recreate the situations in my mind. As it was, I had to rely more on my imagination. The descriptive details would have enabled the author to create a broader, more engulfing context for the book. I'm not sure someone who doesn't skydive or perhaps have an interest in BASE jumping would find the book very enjoyable to read, but it's intended audience may be limited to jumpers.

The last chapter provided a good transition from then to now, even referencing very current events like Tom Aiello's article and Slim's incident. This makes me think it may have been added after the initial publication or maybe only for the English version

In summary the book was very interesting to read and sure makes me wish I had been involved with the sport while it was maturing. You compare the gear people were jumping 10-20 years ago to the BADA$$ stuff available today and you can't help but say "Those were/are some brave MoFo's". Now if we could just get the NPS to understand BASE is about jumping not violating landmarks or cheating death.

Can you imagine bringing some girls on a suburbia jump to distract the guards in today's world?

Um, yes, I can. A few times.

The last chapter provided a good transition from then to now, even referencing very current events like Tom Aiello's article and Slim's incident. This makes me think it may have been added after the initial publication or maybe only for the English version.

Since the original book was written well before either of those other things, I believe the last bit was just for this edition.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hi there,

Yes that is expensive. All orders outside North America are printed and shipped from the UK and the best and cheapest way is to buy it on www.amazon.co.uk.

Jevto (author of BASE 66)
BASE 66

Hi Ove,

Actually it is not written in Norwegian but in Swedish. I wrote that book about 5 years ago. The new English version has been totally updated (37 pictures, a new cover and updated text)

Jevto

nice book... i'm really enjoying the first person perspective...it reads very much like a diary and i personally think that is cool vs some slick professional 'ghost written' tale...

thanks again... i'm jealous of some of those jumps already...

I thought this was the best book on BASE I've read. I've posted a review on Amazon.com, as well as here on DZ.com. I'll see if I can get Mick to add it to the BLiNC reviews as well.

I'd really like to see a book on BASE do well, so I urge anyone who has the time and has read the book to post a review on Amazon.

Here's my review:

BASE 66 is by far the best account of BASE jumping yet published.

I've read pretty much everything written about BASE jumping. Heck, I've written a good deal of it. This is about as good as it gets.

I make several BASE jumps every week, and I still found my pulse accelerating when reading Jevto Dedijer's accounts of jumps in the 80's. He accurately captures the excitement, the feelings, the comradery, and the sense of adventure that still permeate the sport today.

While the technology, and in some cases the pace of jumps, may have changed since then, the feelings have not. BASE has brought me many of the same feelings described in BASE 66, despite the changes in BASE since the 80's. We may make more jumps in a shorter time, and we may have more reliable gear, but the same feelings move us. And the feelings are, after all, the real reason that we jump.

If you are a BASE jumper, you must read this book. If you are not, you ought to read it anyway. I've made it required reading in the BASE jumping (for non jumpers) course I teach at the College of Southern Idaho. I also recommend it to my BASE jumping students, and to experienced BASE jumpers.

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I read that book, too. I got it in the mail and read it that night. I couldn't put it down until I turned the last page.

Really good story telling.

I agree. Got it for Christmas and have read it several times. It's worth a look even if you're not a BASE jumper!

:)

I received a copy from my good mate CPoxon (thanks bruvva :)
It is a good read, I finished it in one evening :P

After reading about the objects and gear that these guys jump you will feel like a p*ssy!

Groundrush is still my favorite... but there is also that new book on the history of BASE coming out soon...