SwoopnHuck

Opinions about all the new blood getting into BASE

Do all the jumpers who make the trek to BD get to jump? With a one day event and the growth in demand I think the number of jumpers who get to jump may become a limiting factor and a good reason to change the requirements.

50 skydives to participate is probably not enough, however the risk at BD sounds substantially lower than other places one could start. And, I've been told over and over an S is the best place to start.

But it sounds to me like BD is becoming for skydivers what a static line jump is for many wuffos. A chance to try skydiving/BASE jumping in a relatively low risk environment. After one static line jump you could call yourself a skydiver, but you are definitely greener than green. I would assume the same goes for someone with 50 skydives at BD.

If introducing people to BASE is one of the underlying goals of BD then (and don't flame me on this, it's just a consideration) maybe the best thing is to limit the number of experienced jumpers. Afterall, how much do they have to learn at BD compared to someone who has never BASE'd.

The statistics you posted are great, but rather than the mean number of skydives it would be more meaningful to know the min, max, and median. The mean can be rather scewed by 10 guys with 10,000 jumps each.

Is there any way to compile stats on the number of people doing their 1st jump at BD and the number of these that continue BASE?

While BD sounds like a great, seemingly safe way to experience a fixed-object jump I think people interested in pursueing BASE would be much further along the curve attending a multi-day FJC.

Does a 1st timer learn how to pack at BD or just drop their gear for a packer? What if it's your own gear?

changes in bold.

Do all the jumpers who make the trek to BD get to jump?

Over the last 3 years I've been involved...yes, everyone had the opportunity to jump multiple times. Some made 1, some made up to 6 in the past. A few decided not to jump. Since I've been coming to BD (1992), there might have only been one year where the weather didn't allow everyone to jump.

With a one day event and the growth in demand I think the number of jumpers who get to jump may become a limiting factor and a good reason to change the requirements.

Regardless of growth, we cap it at 450 each year. Growth shouldn't affect the jump number requirement.

And, I've been told over and over a B is the best place to start.

You mean an S, right?

But it sounds to me like BD is becoming for skydivers what a static line jump is for many wuffos.

BD *is* a place to make a first BASE jump, but it's also a place where you'll find the most experienced jumpers in the world each year. The mix of the two is unique, but very special.

BD is a real BASE jump with real consequences. I think you'll find that the majority of new blood makes their first BASE jump at Bridge Day, the Perrine, or Norway as of late. BD is what it is and if you dig too deep into its purpose in BASE, you're probably wasting bandwidth.

A chance to try skydiving/BASE jumping in a relatively low risk environment

Shouldn't ALL first BASE jumps be low risk?

After one static line jump you could call yourself a skydiver, but you are definitely greener than green. I would assume the same goes for someone with 50 skydives at BD.

Absolutely. Our first jump courses at BD are nowhere near what is offered at the Idaho bridge. I urge my two first jump instructors, who coincidentally teach FJC's in Idaho, to suggest a more in depth course after BD.

If introducing people to BASE is one of the underlying goals of BD then (and don't flame me on this, it's just a consideration) maybe the best thing is to limit the number of experienced jumpers. Afterall, how much do they have to learn at BD compared to someone who has never BASE'd.

After BASE jumping for over 11 years, I STILL learn a lot at BD every year. When you stop learning, you're in real trouble. BD is hard to explain to anyone who hasn't been there....but we do put off about 90 first timers each year (out of 400+ who show up). BD is just as much for the first timers as it is for the experienced jumpers. BD is also just as much (and maybe even more) about the knowledge, friends, and partying as it is about jumping. Putting off newbies is not a goal of BD, but simply a product of the event. It would make life much smoother for me with only experienced jumpers, but it's also priceless to see the look on a first jumper's face after landing! And that means a lot to me! It's the big reason I chose to organize.

The statistics you posted are great, but rather than the mean number of skydives it would be more meaningful to know the min, max, and median. The mean can be rather scewed by 10 guys with 10,000 jumps each.

Working on it. Will post the data when done. I'm still enjoying that fact that my phone is down from 10 calls a night to about 2.....and that we don't start planning for next year until (GULP) November 10th. The fun never stops.

Is there any way to compile stats on the number of people doing their 1st jump at BD and the number of these that continue BASE?

Not without bugging them too much.

While BD sounds like a great, seemingly safe way to experience a fixed-object jump I think people interested in pursueing BASE would be much further along the curve attending a multi-day FJC.

I doubt anyone would disagree with you on that.

Does a 1st timer learn how to pack at BD or just drop their gear for a packer? What if it's your own gear?

We do have packing classes and all jumpers are encourgaged to pack themselves. Packers? Not this year.

Thanks for the input.

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

And, I've been told over and over a B is the best place to start.

I'm hoping you mistyped that. B is for Building: probably the worst first jump object.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I think of BD as a public event -- it's legal (thanks to the efforts of a few BASE jumpers) for anybody to jump off of it during that event. Jason et al aren't "inviting" people to jump off of it so much as managing the distribution of the limited number of slots which are available -- limited due to the exigencies of security screens, the limited time period, etc. Looked at this way, they're going above and beyond the call of duty by trying to make sure that nobody goes off with, like, a patio umbrella or something. People show up with all kinds of equipment in various states of repair, and any first-jump and/or packing instruction they get is often much more than they might otherwise get. (Of course Jason and crew do much more than this for the newbies and the experienced alike -- platforms, contests, awards, transpo, stuff, etc.)

It's a legal object (for those few hours) like the potato is. If you want to jump off it, you can. If you think you might want training first, well that's an excellent idea.

From a BASE perspective, my first experience there, as I recall, was not unlike any other first BASE jump might be in that I got BASE-specific gear and training well ahead of time, thanks to mentors whom I had sought out, and spent some time under my BASE canopy at the DZ first -- an old-school FJC, if you will ;)

Of course, the age of the event, traditions, mix of people, public attention, reputation among the skydiving community and overall vibe certainly make it very different from what one might normally think of as BASE jumping.

Boy, that bridge sure looked low the first year. When I went back it seemed so high.:D

How sadly ironic your post was Jason..

Austrailians always bounce back for the better, and i think people like yourself, Slim & Dwain set a benchmark for your countrymen to aspire to.

Here's to bouncing back. [Beer]

BSBD.

How sadly ironic your post was Jason..

Austrailians always bounce back for the better, and i think people like yourself, Slim & Dwain set a benchmark for your countrymen to aspire to.

Here's to bouncing back. [Beer]

BSBD.

And I have nothing to add to that.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

and i think people like yourself, Slim & Dwain set a benchmark for your countrymen to aspire to.

a benchmark for the rest of the world...........

a dark year.................

Hello all...

I have returned from the banned persons' solitary confinement cell today [:/]... And after 7days of intense BASE anger management therapy, I have been rehabilitated and I promise to play nice ;)...

:)
SBCmac

---Friendly reminder---

THIS IS THE F-ING INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peterk,

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I'm lost... I'm really trying to see the value added to this discussion from your post, but can't... So would you please elaborate so that the rest of us know what you're talking about??? :S

Thank you peterk :)
SBCmac

If you want to argue, lets argue...

But, send me a PM when you want to meet up for a jump, it would be much more fun...

Glad to see that dz.com let you back on...

P
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

If you want to argue, lets argue...

I'm not asking to argue... I'm asking what your last post meant... You post was directed at me, wasn't it!? So, since it was directed at me, it would be good for me to understand what you meant, right?!

As far as getting together... Anytime... I'll PM you an talk about logistics...

SBCmac

I'm pretty sure he meant that this is just a random internet discussion, and no one ought to get to worked up or angry about it. I took his post as directed at everyone posting in the thread.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Awesome, thanks Tom... That's all I was asking :)
SBCmac

Wow....dz.com prozac is really effective..... I think this boy is on the verge of buying a pink velvet teddy bear.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Wow....dz.com prozac is really effective..... I think this boy is on the verge of buying a pink velvet teddy bear.

Come on now, have some empathy for your BASE brother :(… Anger management is an ongoing challenge that takes many years to master :S… My dropzone.com counselor did recommend the pink velvet teddy bear though… May I ask where you got yours ;)

SBCmac

My dropzone.com counselor did recommend the pink velvet teddy bear though… May I ask where you got yours

Dude.... your rehabilitation seems most complete; no dis or offense in any way intended B| Your "conversational triggers" have been missed by me this past week :P

Teddy bears? I believe the main dealer is www.fuzzywarmloveyteddiesbytomaiello.com, but you may find a dealer closer to you ;)
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Your post made me laugh so hard... Thanks for the laugh :D...

SBCmac