badenhop

Robin Heid injured on BASE jump

I spoke to Joan, Robin's mom, today.
He is doing well and in fairly good spirits.
His C-5 fracture is in the front,
so no sugery but will wear a halo for months.
They opted not to do surgery on his fractured scapula,
but will let it heal naturally during his convalesce period.
His right elbow is pretty bad, as he had a previous injury.
They did a surgery on the elbow to repair it.
His real big problem is his left leg.
Compound fracture (multiple) above the ankle is very bad.
They cannot operate for a few days while swelling goes down,
so the doctors really have to watch out for infection.

I have a history with Robin, not all good,
but he is human, and a fellow BASE jumper.
He needs the prayer and hope for recovery from us all.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Leanne and I went by to see him yesterday and I took this statement from him this morning:

--------begin statement-------------

Kudos and heartfelt thanks to everyone who helped prepare me for transport. The professionals at the hospital said you guys were awesome! Share the knowledge!

Injuries:

Broken C5
Broken left shoulderblade
Severly broken left tib/fib
Badly gashed right elbow with lower right arm nerve damage.

For those of you who think I'm a devil, I'm happy to report that I'm being fitted with my halo today.

Now for the technical details of the jump

This began as a rigging error and ended as gross pilot error. The plan was to do a 2-3 second short delay to open high because this was a fast-moving parachute. I had a 36" PC on it. Another experienced jumper said I should use a 38" PC or bigger and I went with a 42" ZP PC that I had on hand. This created a 4 second opening because of the larger PC - resulting in a scenario exactly opposite from what I wanted and took more time to open instead of less. So I was deep in the canyon with a 40-60 degree off-heading to the right. I got the left toggle popped cleanly but missed the right - grabbing it like an old t-handle toggle on an accuracy canopy. I thought the brake was clear but it wasn't and I brainlocked and flew the rest of the dive with the right brake still set. I never attempted to clear it again as I was too busy looking at the ground. The canopy kept drifting right and I kept working it left and eventually stalled it onto the talus. This was the same canopy that I had a beautiful swoop with last year.

This event was a rigging error followed by pilot error.

Thank you very much for your thoughts and prayers.

Robin Heid
BASE 44
------------------end statement---------------

Gardner's and Leanne's Notes: Robin really took this like a man and made no complaints beyond the first few expletives anyone would utter under such duress. He realizes it is all his responsibility and, certainly, of all the injuries he sustained, his ego is probably injured the most. I know he was awfully concerned about the effect this had on the event, and I assured him that - had the winds not blown us out - we would have continued jumping ASAP. He's gonna be paying for this one bigtime. I'm sure he appreciates everyone's thoughts and prayers

Sorry I'm in a hotel right now on a public terminal and don't have the hospital contact info on me and there's some dude lurking the terminal like he wants to use it. I can tell you that he is at St. Mary-Corwin in Pueblo, CO. I'll append this with the phone numbers and address info tomorrow. Right now I gotta turn this terminal over to the lurker next to me.

BSBD,
Gardner

St. Mary-Corwin
(719) 560-4000
ICU #2003

He isn't taking calls, but the nice nurses will give him your message.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

speedy recovery..............

thoughts to all recovering from injuries at this time...................

Robin, I'm sure you'll do fine with this. Robin and I also have a history, and I owe him my life in some regards which cannot be divulged but he knows and remembers the circumstances which were also physically and ego-disabling. He might in fact be sitting in the same hospital bed at this time!
With regards to E jumps, he's truly one of the pioneers and has opened tons of exits long before most current jumpers were doing hop n pops from beat up cessna's. Now, politically speaking, he can be a hornet but who gives a shit.
Heal fast

Best of wishes on a speedy recovery Robin. Hopefully you'll be able to write again soon so that we don't lose all our BASE articles in Skydiving.

Get well soon.

Thomas

Sorry to hear about your accident. I just recovered from a pretty bad one myself. Hang on tight and work your ass off when all the casts come off.

If you don't mind, what kind of canopy were you jumping and why do you think a 42" was not appropiate for a 2-3 sec?
Memento Audere Semper

Best of wishes for a swift recovery!

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Heal fast Robin. That was a gnarly one, I hope everything gets put back together soon and well.
Adam

If you don't mind, what kind of canopy were you jumping and why do you think a 42" was not appropiate for a 2-3 sec?

From what I saw and the reports that were passed around at Royal Gorge, he was jumping a 'clapped out' TRIATHALON 135. Not a very smart choice for any BASE jump IMHO, especially from a pioneer who claims to know everything about BASE.
It looked as if it took 400+ feet to open, then when it did open it never flew correctly. Looked as if it was in brakes the whole way then it stalled and spun dropping him into the talus. Since the winds were starting to pick up and the canopy was not fully functional and he was over a steep embankment, I think he might have also got some funky winds coming up the talus to help to contribute to the stall. An approach over the water, I think, might have helped and been safer.

I'm in the same boat as most jumpers who have met Robin, I don't particularily like him or his attitude but I hate to see people get injured. So heal up Robin... the sport wouldn't be the same without all your love and compassion:)
Jason

Best wishes and fast healing to Robin.

Now for the technical details of the jump

...This was the same canopy that I had a beautiful swoop with last year.

I wanted to add that, in my opinion, choice of canopy was one of the major factors in this accident.

For those of you reading this at home, please make BASE jumps only on BASE gear. A smallish, ZP skydiving canopy is not appropriate for a BASE jump. You may see some folks trying this, but remember that (a) the level of risk is exponentially higher, and (b) such jumps should only be attempted by people who are highly experienced both with the canopy and in BASE jumping.

Heal well, Robin.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

As said before Use the right kit for the right job,Anyway it sounds like you took it like a man,and as you already know what went wrong,theres only one way HEAL FAST and get back in the air soon:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Hi Robin,

Gee, brother, what was that all about?

Oh, never mind, you've been on the edge of the edge for as long as I've known you. Are you going to rehab at Moms or back in Perris?

If Perris, you'll be in the very same abode where I spent a year in plaster. That's why all those ramps are there when you moved in. When you took them up to build that beautiful wooden deck I remember Al Frisby muttering, "eh . . . that's a mistake." :)
And here's how to avoid retelling the story over and over. On the back of my wheelchair I hung a sign that read:

Don't Ask
It's a Long Story
And I Come Out
Looking Bad
In the End . . .

Anyway bro, heal up quick, Julia said to say she's thinking of you, and I'm sure you're already "the character" in room 2003 at St. Mary-Corwin's.

NickD
BASE 194

Yeah, I had a front row seat at the landing area, and trying to sink a Trathalon 135 into this particular landing area, off of this particular object was the problem, along with a sail slider and whatever P/C. Regardless, heal fast Robin and buy some damn B.A.S.E. gear.

Hank
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

From what I saw and the reports that were passed around at Royal Gorge, he was jumping a 'clapped out' TRIATHALON 135. Not a very smart choice for any BASE jump IMHO, especially from a pioneer who claims to know everything about BASE.
It looked as if it took 400+ feet to open, then when it did open it never flew correctly. Looked as if it was in brakes the whole way then it stalled and spun dropping him into the talus.

Gear setup was a small Triathlon with a sail slider and mini-risers in a Vertex 2 container.

Canopy did a very fast stall-turn into the rocks, after an approach in deep brakes overshooting the landing area.

I was standing about 50 feet away and it was not a pretty sight. I hope Robin will recover completely and wish him well.

bsbd!

Yuri.

A clapped out 135 ZP (hybrid) triathalon, with a sail slider, and mini risers?

And it didn't open quickly on heading? Go figure. Was there no requirement to jump bASE specific gear at this event? Perhaps because it was invitation only, and only highly experinced jumpers attended, this was an oversight. In any event, that sounds like a Bridge Day skydiver setup competing for the DFH award.

This is a perfect example of what not to do at BD, or on any base jump for that matter.

Heal quickly.

I think a lot of us had been witholding comment on the gear setup in order to avoid rubbing salt into the wound.

I'm sure Robin has suffered a pretty severe ego-toma from all of this already. He should have known better, and I'm sure he knows that in retrospect. Again, I hope he heals quickly.

Newbies... PLEASE don't use skydiving gear on BASE jumps. Bad things happen when you do.

- Z

I'm not a BASE Jumper, but I've know Robin for years and years. I was at the Bridge this past weekend.

Was the canopy that Robin used in a BASE rig? If not, then why didn't anyone say something? If it was, then I'm guessing he was trying to hide what he was doing.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. Robin did what he did, and I'm shocked that he would do that, knowing how important this event was to Marta, Jimmy, and Troy.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Was the canopy that Robin used in a BASE rig?

Above, Outrager wrote:

Gear setup was a small Triathlon with a sail slider and mini-risers in a Vertex 2 container.

The Vertex 2 is a pin closed BASE container made by Apex (formerly Basic Research).

A "standard" exit point gear check would not have revealed the canopy, and would probably not have shown the risers (although it's recommended to check 3 rings before exit, which would have).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The Vertex 2 is a pin closed BASE container made by Apex (formerly Basic Research).

Who is Apex? (or are BR are changing their name?)
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

Who is Apex? (or are BR are changing their name?)

I'm going to split this into a new thread to avoid repeating myself endlessly.

Apex is a new company formed by the merger and re-organization of Basic Research and Vertigo. Partners in Apex are Todd Shoebotham, Marta Empinotti Pouchert, and Jimmy Pouchert. The merger was announced at the GoFast! Games.

As far as I know, all former BR and Vertigo products will continue to be offered for the time being, with new products phased in as joint developments.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

A "standard" exit point gear check would not have revealed the canopy, and would probably not have shown the risers (although it's recommended to check 3 rings before exit, which would have).

When I was there on the bridge, very near the launch point, I didn't see all the jumpers get gear checks. Do you think Robin wasn't checked because of his experience level?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

When I was there on the bridge, very near the launch point, I didn't see all the jumpers get gear checks. Do you think Robin wasn't checked because of his experience level?

I really hope you're not trying to cast blame on event staff.

Yes there were gear checks, no they were not performed 100% of the time. I think I had checks on 3 out of my 4 jumps.

The understanding from the beginning was that we were all experienced, mature jumpers who would exercise good judgment. They were not there to babysit us nor should they have been expected to.

There comes a point in every endeavor where you reach a level of experience and professionalism that good judgment is expected. Robin, as BASE 44, has been in the sport (and an outspoken advocate of safety) for years. No one should have to verify that he (or any of the other jumpers there... all of whom had more than 100 BASE jumps) was using proper equipment.

It's just expected at that level.

- Z

I really hope you're not trying to cast blame on event staff.

NO WAY! NEVER! I have nothing but respect for all the people that worked so hard to make this event happen. I also have respect for all the jumpers that were there. I'm sorry if my question was taken that way. Like I said, I don't BASE, but I attended because I have so many friends involved in the event and wanted to watch and learn. My questions only come from wanting to learn.

There comes a point in every endeavor where you reach a level of experience and professionalism that good judgment is expected. Robin, as BASE 44, has been in the sport (and an outspoken advocate of safety) for years. No one should have to verify that he (or any of the other jumpers there... all of whom had more than 100 BASE jumps) was using proper equipment.

I know what requirements Marta and Jimmy were looking for in inviting those jumpers that were there. I also know Robin and have seen him in action.

Quite honestly, you can see from a distance whether or not the harness is correctly installed upon the body.

Each time I stood at the exit, the exit managers were scouting each jumper prior to exit. The first couple times it was an up close visual front to back inspection. On later jumps it was clear that we were being looked after, just as you probably check out every one on an airplane when you're sitting in it.

His accident occured the first day. Each jumper was made to stand in place while they looked at the harness, then we had to turn around for further inspection. I saw no exceptions.

My risers have mini rings on them. So do most rigs out there. If the rings were visible, I'd give the inspector 15 Go-Fast drinks if he would have noticed the rig had type 17 risers.

BASE jumpers are the gearheads of parachutists. We all assemble and pack our own equipment, except Yuri... though I was witness to him packing saturday night...

I have few doubts about correctly assembled rigs at that event. If I wanted to sneak an unacceptible canopy over the edge, as Robin did, It would not be difficult.

The error was not rigging, it was all pilot... or shall I say... it was all the user of the equipment. It is clear from the users report that very little thought was put into what was doomed before even climbing over the rail.

When the tool for the job is so obviously mismatched to the job itself, It's no mystery this incident turned out as it did.

While I completely disagree with the actions, I don't wish injury upon anyone... Heal well.