audacium

Accident in China

Clicky

I heard about this last night. Slim is definitely one of the good guys. To my knowledge he has not yet regained consciousness, but doctors are saying there is no brain damage. So aside from some healing, he'll be the same old Slim in no time.

Also, I've heard mixed reports on the impact. One source reported that he had impacted the side of an adjacent building. Jumpers on scene reported that he had landed under line twists on the roof of the adjacent building.

Regardles, my best wishes for a speedy recovery go out to Slim. He's given more to this sport than 95% of us, and he's had this sport take more from him than anyone I know.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

To my knowledge he has not yet regained consciousness, but doctors are saying there is no brain damage.

Tom i just posted at ABA forum and didnt saw this statement.
Is this insider knowlegede and if so why aint it posted at ABA?
Not to pick on you but i know people there are desperate to get good news...

So aside from some healing, he'll be the same old Slim in no time.

I hope so,he is as you says one of the good guys,and i also think he has payed his price[:/]

Slim Heal fast!!!

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

My information is third hand. I'd say the ABA forum, where the info will be second hand (from jumpers on site) would probably be better.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Bummer. Heal fast Slim. Lots a strange happenings in the field lately. There is a tree near our local tower missing some large limbs after a funny opening last friday. There is also a bruised up and sore jumper, but he will heal, but those limbs won't grow back.

Weird things happen sometimes, when they do we get hurt. Be careful everyone.

What was Slim's gear setup? Anyone know?

Slim, my friend, sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully, you'll be home soon reading this thread in front of your own PC.

This is a busy month for BASE, and we can expect something to happen here and there. But when it happens to one of the best, that really hurts. My prayers are with you Slim. Cya.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Regardles, my best wishes for a speedy recovery go out to Slim. He's given more to this sport than 95% of us, and he's had this sport take more from him than anyone I know.

Lets hope karma reads your post Tom.

Get well soon Slim.

sorry not to pick on you Tom,just a bit sad today:|[:/]

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Bummer. Heal fast Slim. Lots a strange happenings in the field lately.

Indeed. Just a week ago this exact set of circumstances has been discussed on ABA:

http://www.basejump.org/discus/messages/1/708.html?1096554410

Slim's quotes, dated Sep. 28:

"WS are great fun but you can quickly find yourself very low with your arms trapped trying to make a sudden landing. God help you if you get line twists."

"Pulling high is the only really sure way of ensuring safety. This, you have to discipline yourself to do. I still have a ways to go in this area as I continue to scare the crap out of myself."

It seems like a major trap all of us are rapidly falling into. Low openings after a fingsuit flight quickly build up dark statistics. Den got seriously hurt two years ago, and just had another scary WS/line twists opening in Ostankino, breaking 4 glass panels of a greenhouse on landing. I misjudged my altitude the same day, splashing into a pond, and got lucky on a few other occasions. Duane's accident is a fresh wound. Now Slim... People, please think about this before your next flight! You MUST force yourself to open higher, because the normal pull reflex fails on a wingsuit flight.

Did Slim have his usual battle gear on ?

Heal fast, brother!!!

bsbd!

Yuri.

This sucks. :(

Heal fast Slim!

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Its not been a good 12 months for the aussies.
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Get well soon Slim !!

See ya in Moscow !!!

Fu......ing Finns Pete and Tony

Fuck.

ds
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

"WS are great fun but you can quickly find yourself very low with your arms trapped trying to make a sudden landing. God help you if you get line twists."

He wrote this in another thread on the ABA forum only one week before his accident..

rip

Ferry

The cost for life is death, what a bargain!
Death continues to suck.......

That's been running through my head for the past few days. [:/]

BSBD Slim.

condolences to family and friends from Crew Finland......
we miss you humor slim......

FastPete

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/07/1065292560465.html?from=storyrhs
here is a old dwain article that has a picture at the bottom of the 2

sorry if this is the wrong thread, just thought id post the link so people can put a face to what they read

No, no, no....

Slim, I'm so sorry. I wanted to make a jump with you so badly, I even talked to Ray about it hoping we'd get to flick something together. I'll be jumping this weekend, hopefully you can still join me for a 2-way. What do you say?

Of all the jumpers out there, you are one of my biggest inspirations. I will miss you.

Condolences to the family and friends...

All your dropzone are belong to us!!!!111!

After one of the longest, saddest flights I ever had I’m back home in Norway. Reading all the condolences make me cry and thinking of his families, I’m so sorry for what happened and have no words for it. I’m feeling so helpless in this situation, as an organizer I keep thinking, “ is there anything we could do different to prevent this accident ” I hope to find an answer so we at least can make it safer for the future. Slims accident is a reminder that it can happen to even the best jumpers, so please be careful out there everyone.
My deepest condolences to Slims wife, family and friends.

Stein