base283

Felix Baumgartner Arrestado

Posted from Blincmagazine.com

It was a Standard bridge jump plan for Felix. Access the superstructure during the early morning darkness, wait until sunrise, jump, land in a boat that I was to position under the 110m object, then speed off to meet the press for interviews ala “Felix Style”.
It was a nice plan. But things went differently.

As I was marking the reference point for the boat position on my GPS in the early morning twilight whilst under the “Puente De Las Americas” bridge, The Panama Canal Guard boat hailed us with a Flashing blue lights, bullhorn and AK47 Machine guns.

A scene from Apocalypse Now flashes through my mind. Scared kids were manning the mounted automatic weapons on the guard boat. Harsh Spanish dialogue ensued. Within seconds we were forced to present our passports, and were being interrogated. Moments later the boat was searched as we remained at gunpoint. El Capitan de la Guardia asked repeatedly, “What are you doing here?” He wanted to know desperately “What are you doing at the entrance to the Panama Canal at 5am on the eve of September 11?”

After they had carefully noted our critical data in an official police notebook, we were commanded to vamoose! without delay. We sped away with the Panama Canal Port Authority boat pacing us for awhile. The machine guns remained trained on us, keeping our anxiety level maxed. Eventually they veered off and allowed us to consider our next move. Upon hearing our plight, topside Felix opted for Plan B which was to exit to the side of the Canal rather than the center, selecting a rocky embankment for a LZ. I positioned the boat in the marina as close to the LZ as possible in case a water rescue would be necessary.

The exit part of Plan B went off without a hitch, as well as the landing. But then our biggest problem came speeding back along the water. It seemed our friends had been watching and waiting. Five guards with machine guns captured Felix and 2 photographers promptly. We´re thinking, “Unfortunate, but hey, this crap happens. Trespassing charges. No big deal.”

Wrong!

There was an anti-terrorist task force preparedness training at this site, 100% of the force employed for the anniversary of 9-11. The bridge is apparently a Top 10 international target. The PTJ (Panamanian FBI) was brought in. Felix may now be charged with Endangering National Security. This could mean 1-6 years in a Panamanian prison if found guilty. The court date is set for Monday.

My translator calls me and tells me to move to another hotel immediately, or I might get nabbed. Federal agents are looking for any evidence of the jump – film, maps, compasses, videos, accomplices – to confiscate and possibly use for the trial.
My new room is on the top floor, overlooking a LZ, 100 meters over downtown Panama City. The unlocked exit door to the roof is adjacent. I am packed for a low freefall. Life goes on.

In the meantime, Felix` caper has attracted not only the interest of local media, but we´re also told, the US State Dept. Media and some fans begin to gather outside the PTJ HQ. Cameras are poised for live coverage of the criminal in handcuffs. Moments later, he emerges to the flash of cameras and cheers… Monday at court will be different.
I suspect they will confront me on my way out of the country at the airport.
Please think about your jumps in the upcoming weeks. Don’t make the present government look stupid on the eve of an election. You will pay.

Take care,
space

Security is so high here on the Bay, I gave up a pile of regular objects, even sold the BASE Invader (boat). Had an experience one recent July 4th. Had the master plan for a prominent span. They were not looking for me in particular, just someone like me. As (bad) luck would have it, someone behind an array of video monitors wanted to know what was in that mysterious black bag. I spent the holiday behind bars, and then the charges were dropped as I never actually did any crime. Got my gear back the very next day. Hindsight is usually 20-20. The eve of 9-11 seems pretty conspicuous for something so high-profile, dontchathink?
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Hi Ave.
High profile in my mind was only for the USA HSA, I was concentrating on otherthings. Like how to do bla bla bla. The prob stems from; we inadvertently showed them the flaws in their doubled security so they say and terrorists can capitalize on this. I guess tunnel vision claimed another victim. There is more I could say, but... I must be quiet until the court has decided what to do. I still must get out of the country safely.
thanks
take care,
space

Yikes . . . Space . . . What a caper . . .

Bro, please think, about how long you may have left before one of your compatriots gives you up. You already know you don't want any piece of this.

If you think they are coming for you . . . get yourself to the American Embassy. The Ambassador is Linda E. Watt and she's from Atlanta, GA. She wouldn't turn out a Southern gent like you.

U.S. Embassy in Panama City:

Embajada de Estados Unidos
Sección Informativa y Cultural
Apartado 6959
Panamá 5, República de Panamá
Panama City
Phone: (011) 507-225-6988
Web Site: http://www.orbi.net/usispan/

Let me know if things go south (well, I guess they already did) and you need $50 bucks sent to your hotel . . .

NickDG
BASE 194

Just a little FYI on the whole Embassy thing.

It is a good idea to go to the Embassy and check in and let them know of your prescence in country. For civillians traveling abroad this should be one of the first things you do when you arrive, waiting until afterwards does you no good and means you sit in jail/custody longer until the US Embassy is notified. If you are ever detained by a foreign government you need to ask for US or friendly representation Immediately, other wise they can keep you for long as they want. If you ask for US/friendly representation they have 48 hours to provide to you said representation according to the Treaty of Vienna 1969. You can also ask for better treatment based on the Universal Declaration of human rights. Be prepared for longer if they decide to not follow the rules.

The idea that you can run to the Embassy and they will slam the doors shut on the local authorities/government only happens in movies. If you go to the Embassy and they know you are inside or suspect you are, the locals will ask for your return. The Embassy will not afford you protection if you broke local laws and evidence can be presented to them in light of that. The Embassy will however appoint you a representative that will come visit you in jail every once in awhile but your legal representation and in Central/South American countries, your welfare is dependant on outside sources for things like food,clothing,tolietries,etc in some cases.

If you really think you might be in trouble you need to leave immediately, all of you. If your friends stay behind and get detained they will eventually rat you out and you will now possibly be a wanted criminal by that government and possibly subject to being extradited back to that country.

Edited to add: they already know who you and your friends on the boat are when they asked for your passports, getting ratted out isn't an issue really but getting out of the country might be.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The eve of 9-11 seems pretty conspicuous for something so high-profile, dontchathink?***

Does Felix know what low profile is?

Um, something you learn in a Central American prison?
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

do you think hes gonna be mommy or daddy when he meets his new cell mate?
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

do you think hes gonna be mommy or daddy when he meets his new cell mate?

I really hope you get the same response when your number is up dude. My personal attack on you is via PM.
Take care and spread your love.
space

About 45 seconds of last weekend was dedicated to a quick Felix discussion. What was quickly resolved amongst a few people is that the guy is a stuntman and an entertainer for the public at large. That's it. Anyone out there BASE jumping for personal reasons, no cameras, etc, really has no need to be against the guy.

With that in mind, it sucks for anyone, even someone who makes a point of being super cocky and X-treme, to get arrested for something that shouldn't be considered a crime. Though I wish all the X-treme bullshit would just go away, including the X-treme story of his X-treme bust.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I agree with you totally. Are you a grandfather? the reason I ask this is because you always come through with wisdom that is earned, and I respect that. Thanks Manbird! And thanks Nick for the info. I try to fly out tomorrow and it sits in my passporto.
Still waiting on the court to decide.
Take care,
space

Are you a grandfather?

Good God, I hope not. Thanks.

Click

Anyone out there BASE jumping for personal reasons, no cameras, etc, really has no need to be against the guy.

There have been folks who were "against" him after their local objects got shut down in the wake of a visit by Felix and his crew.

Getting a legal object shut down is (in my mind, at least) pretty much the number 1 sin in this sport. While I don't have any objective details about Felix's trip to RSA, I do know several South African jumpers who have told me their side of that story, and I must admit that it sounds like they probably do have a reason to be against the guy.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'm still no fan of his (far from it), but I don't actively hate the guy, if that makes sense. I knew he'd burned something over there. I didn't realize that was a LEGAL object that got burned. That's jacked.

Click

Space, are you back home yet or did they snatch you up at the airport? Anyone heard from Space lately?

I try to fly out tomorrow......space

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

>>I try to fly out tomorrow and it sits in my passporto.<<

Gee, I hope you make it brother. Hold the Newspaper up in front of your face a lot, and forget about that Hash I asked you to bring me . . .

Nick :)BASE 194

I made it back to Germany,
I don´t have any details on Felix. But it seems theywill release him.
I´m goin back in the grind (work) this morning and should know something to night..
Thank,
you guys rock.
take care,
space

Glad you made it back Space! It oughta be one hell of a story. B|:o

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Good news. From Ananova:

Daredevil freed from Panama jail

Daredevil Felix Baumgartner has been allowed to leave Panama following his arrest for jumping off the bridge that connects North and South America.

Baumgartner and his photographer were arrested by police shortly after he performed the illegal basejump off the Puente de Las Americas bridge.

The two were thrown into jail and their equipment and passports were confiscated. They did not, however, complain of any ill treatment.

According to Baumgartner's Austrian assistant, lawyers have now successfully negotiated the team's release.

Baumgartner is known for his daredevil stunts, such as flying across the English Channel in his own specially constructed suit, or basejumping off the Petronas tower in Malaysia in a business suit carrying a briefcase.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

here's video and pix of the jump...

[URL http://chicagotv.feedroom.com/iframeset.jsp?ord=115951]video[/URL]

[URL http://www.nbc5.com/slideshow/news/3755094/detail.html]pic slideshow[/URL]

Thomas

So Felix has changed citizenship? Apparently he's an "Australian daredevil".

I just love N. American news reporting... :D:P

(they'll probably change that now)
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13