TomAiello

Free BASE FJC: Oct 1-3

I will hold a BASE First Jump Course on October 1st, 2nd and 3rd (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) in Twin Falls, Idaho. Course will begin at 8am Friday and conclude at 6pm Sunday.

There will be no charge for this instruction. The course will focus on basic BASE skills, with an additional emphasis on the history and ethics of BASE, and the teamwork necessary to many BASE jumps.

Course requirements:

1) Gear: I have some spare gear I can loan out, but it’s best if you can come with your own. Contact me for help finding gear, if you do not own it.

2) Mentoring: You must make a reasonable effort to find an experienced jumper local to you, who can help you with your jumping when you return home. You must provide me with contact information for this jumper, so that I can talk with them. If you cannot locate someone, I will assist you in doing so. This requirement will be waived for jumpers in an area where I am unable to locate a suitable mentor.

3) Skydiving prerequisites: You must have appropriate skydiving experience, as evaluated by me. I will ask for details of your experience when you contact me, as well as contact information for jumpers able to verify your experience.

Course Syllabus:

Day 1: Packing

Discussion: The risks of BASE
Exercise: Letter to family
Packing
Discussion: Differences between skydiving and BASE cultures

Day 2: Exits

Discussion: BASE History
Exit Training on Launch Simulator
PCA BASE jumps

Day 3: Deployment

Discussion: BASE ethics
BASE jumps: Hand held, delay nomination
Discussion: BASE community
BASE jumps: Delay nomination, stowed

Space is limited, so I will accept the best prepared applicants. If you want to come, you must contact me via PM here on DZ.com or via email ([email protected]). If you have any questions, post here, or PM or email me.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

damn how i wish i wasnt broken...

got room for any 'auditors'?

Excellent!
Way to go Tom.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

way to go, Tom!

talk about going above an beyond... ;)

it would be absolutely great if you were to offer some of those discussions in the sillabus at say, bridgeday too, as I'm sure there's plenty of newbie jumpers like me out there who would want to sit in on those

cheers
sam

soon to be gone

Thanks Tom,

I'm working on putting the dough together for gear, I kinda on the large side to borrow. Hopefully, I can catch up with ya another time.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

I have a Wonderhog with a Pursuit 215 (in perfect shape)that I will donate for Tommy A. to jump when he gets to the "History of B.A.S.E." portion of the class. This sounds great!!!
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

Ok, the course is full.

Demand for this was overwhelming. I received 23 requests from prospective students, and 11 requests for more information from possible future students or from other jumpers interested in some of the material.

I will try to publish as much of my course materials on line as possible, as time permits (I want to organize them a bit more before that kind of release).

I will likely hold more of these courses in the future. I am considering a November course (still trying to decide if the weather will allow that), and will hold another course in the spring. If the response is positive, I will probably continue to do this at regular intervals.

I’ve already notified all accepted students, and most of the other applicants (I’m hoping I haven’t missed anyone, but with applications coming in at least four different ways, it’s been a little chaotic).

I’ve had several requests from other jumpers to audit portions of the class. I’ll consider that and respond to those people individually.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I’ve had several requests from other jumpers to audit portions of the class. I’ll consider that and respond to those people individually.

Thanks!

if you've got the room, i've got the time at the moment and i'm doing my best information sponge impression while i heal. I'll even bring beer for the post class celebration.

Tom, keep us up to date on your classes. There are probally a few people out there that have interest but have'nt contacted you yet ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

How'd the course go? Tom or any of the attendees or 'hangers on' willing to post a report???

The only thing worse than a cold toilet seat is a warm toilet seat.

I think that overall it went well. By sunday, everyone was doing unsupervised pack jobs that I'd be willing to jump off most objects. I was very happy to see that.

There were a few snafus (notably my bungling while attempting to set up a free pendulator) that I hope to work out in the future. We had a couple of "exciting" jumps when we got to the point of looking down prior to deployment (which is a precursor to stowed deployment), but overall I was very impressed with the speed with which everyone picked things up.

Perhaps some of the students can give a bit more impartial reports, though.

Big thanks to everyone who made the trip. I had fun.

Oh, and if anyone sees JP, can you help him find his wallet? :P
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

A BIG thanks back to you Tom for putting on a great free FJC (even with the pendulator problems :D).

I think that overall the course was quite good and very informative. Something that surprised me was just how much I learned about canopies and their lines. My confidence in working with brake lines, four line checks, step throughs and packing have greatly improved.

Their were four of us in the course and that seemed to work out very well. We all were able to learn from one another besides learning from Tom. For me, that was very helpful. I do think that Tom learned from us as well, and though I thought his course was great, I bet it will get even better in the future.

Now, for the fun stuff ;); I HAD A FRIGGIN' BLAST!!!! I got in 2 PCA's on Saturday and 3 hand helds on Sunday. There were lots of people jumping and I didn't meet one person I didn't like. The BASE community seems to be full a very cool people. Everyone there was showing as much excitement for our jumps as their own. Very cool stuff!

Tom, I had a great time and thanks again. It was quite educational and you have some great stories too.

3,2,1, cya...1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, 3......:)
BTW, I am friggin' SORE today. B| Why it feels like I have been thrown off a bridge. :ph34r:

Jeff

Oh, and if anyone sees JP, can you help him find his wallet?

Never mind. I found it......

:(
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Something that surprised me was just how much I learned about canopies and their lines. My confidence in working with brake lines, four line checks, step throughs and packing have greatly improved.

You know, this is an excellent observation and something which is probably overlooked an awful lot but is very important.

We are pretty much our own riggers, and we are constantly changing configurations to adapt to different types of objects. Line checks are a must-know in this sport.

I can't tell you how many step-throughs I've had. Land... canopy drapes over head... try to gather up lines... get back and notice tangled up lines.

I spent some time with a local rigger leaning some of the basics when I knew I was going to take BASE seriously. As an exercise, he'd make me turn my back, he'd put all sorts of ridiculous step-throughs on the rig and then have me untangle it without removing the risers.

It was good training and I still use that stuff to date.

Glad to see Tom had you practicing that! B|

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Oh, and if anyone sees JP, can you help him find his wallet?

Never mind. I found it......

:(

Yeah dude, what the hell? I was looking forward to finally meeting you in person. :P

Oh well, maybe next time.

Jeff

very generous, its good to see this type of thing.

No kidding seeing how Johhny Utah chared nearly a 1000 bucks for probably the same thing. I would love to attend the next one and would be willing to pay a little fee at least for your preperation effort and time. I'm not dogging Utah at all for the fee don't get me wrong he knows just about all there is to know about base jumping and is a super cool guy, maybe thats is main source of income but I think his course is a hair pricey but on the other hand I don't know what this fee covers: just lessons or food, lodging, etc. and it is an ENTIRE week! Don't get mad at me Utah I met you at Mardi Gras at NOSC. You prolly don't really remember me cause we all stayed pretty hammered. good times, good times.

Truthfully, I think that Johnny's course is the best bargain of all the commercial FJC's. His students get more jumps, more of his time, and at a lower cost than almost anywhere else.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Truthfully, I think that Johnny's course is the best bargain of all the commercial FJC's. His students get more jumps, more of his time, and at a lower cost than almost anywhere else.

Not trying to slate JU here but:

How can he give more quality time with the amount of people he takes on a FJC compared to a manufacturer having a ratio of 1 or 2 instructors to 2 or 3 students?

More jumps? - this is no guage to how much you get from the course - when I did my FJC I got 1 jump in, this does not mean I learnt less than someone with 12 jumps on a FJC with a shed load of other students (BASE is not just about making a jump)

I spent some time with a local rigger leaning some of the basics when I knew I was going to take BASE seriously. As an exercise, he'd make me turn my back, he'd put all sorts of ridiculous step-throughs on the rig and then have me untangle it without removing the risers.

In Denmark you´ll need a packers licens to get a skydive licens.To get a packers licens you must be abel to entangle a canopy from it self,hooking it up to risers etc etc I thourght this were basic all over the world??:S

Not that People couldnt use an update on this now and then.. but my impress is that in US you dont learn about this or how your gear works??

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

How can he give more quality time with the amount of people he takes on a FJC compared to a manufacturer having a ratio of 1 or 2 instructors to 2 or 3 students?

He gives more time by running his course for a week. In terms of individual attention per student, obviously one-on-one tutoring would be better.

However, I believe that a group of 4-6 allows some work on group dynamics and teamwork. I think that this is actually very important on many BASE jumps, and is badly overlooked in most FJC's. Johnny's is the only one where there is any real community building, becase (a) it's longer, and (b) it's got more students.

I'm still tweaking things in my own courses to try to find the optimal balance here. I think that adjusting the student group helps a bit.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

...but my impress is that in US you dont learn about this or how your gear works??

Sadly true. Due to the prevalence of commercial packing at DZ's here, I've met many skydivers with hundreds of jumps who actually couldn't even pack their skydiving rigs competently. They'd "learned" to get the license, then promptly forgotten, since they never did it.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tom your doing some cool stuff here,dont forget to have fun aswell;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

They'd "learned" to get the license, then promptly forgotten, since they never did it.

I then feel lucky that the only person that ever packed canopies for me(whith out my inspection) is my rigger packing my Reserve...:P:D

Perhaps people should considder this as a skill to learn while getting the minimum require of jumps,as my guess could be that people who just want to get that # of skydives to get a course,perhaps hires a packer...
I think they will miss some rigger skills doing it that way...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber