towerrat

Why so damn expensive?

Ok, I've been looking into a few deals here and there to make my first jump. I really won't know if it's my thing or not until I make a jump or three.
So why does it cost $1200 to make 1 stinkin' jump.
Like I said, I may or may not want to continue, I really don't know until I check it out. It just seems like a lot of dough to throw away if it's not for me.
I just need a mentor, but it seems everyone is out to make a bunch of money.....maybe it's just me.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

is this a troll? I mean your name is "tower"rat
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

no, I'm a skydiver with over 500 jumps, and have been on these forums for quite some time. Feel free to search my posts. I go by Towerrat because I have been in the cell tower business for several years.

ah my, my appoligies
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Yo Rat, are you wanting to do an A jump first or are you planning on going to Bridge Day?

Bridge Day is a very good way to test the waters to see if BASE is for you, and you can usually borrow or rent gear.

I know Vertigo rents gear for Bridge Day.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Put it into perspective . . .

The learn as you go method of yesteryear was free, very exciting, full of discovery, often painful, and too often deadly. I loved those days, but wouldn’t want to re-live them, nor see anyone else go through that plaster learning curve. I used to strut like John Travolta and now I waddle like Elmer Fudd.

Also, think about why you want to BASE jump.

If you didn’t have an involuntary instantaneous attraction to BASE the first time you saw it, didn’t say to yourself, “Man, that’s for me,” and don’t find BASE overwhelming your everyday thoughts, then think harder about it. I’m not sure even one BASE jump, just to see if it’s for you, is worth the risk.

You asked, “So why does it cost $1200 to make 1 stinkin' jump.” Well, there are many answers to that question and 80 of them are here:

http://www.basefatalities.info/

Now, the following advice may seem way overcautious, but here it is. Go to Bridge Day this October, but don’t jump. Just lurk it. Spend a few hours on the bridge and a few hours in the landing area. Attend the video fest and the after-party, maybe even help out here and there. You’ll enjoy yourself and learn much.

Finding/deciding on a BASE mentor will be easier, as you can meet many of them at Bridge Day, maybe even work a bit of a deal with one. Lastly a mentor will be more willing to go out of the way to help you if, rather than the way you presented yourself in your post, you have the BASE fire shooting out of your eyeballs . . .

Edited: Look me up at BD, if you do come.

Nick :)BASE 194

You don't have to spend anywhere near that my friend, For just 110 of your US dollars you can fast track and experience all the fun of BASE jumping here!

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1174463;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Remember to get on the sunbed first so you don't look so pasty in hospital :P

Ok, I've been looking into a few deals here and there to make my first jump. I really won't know if it's my thing or not until I make a jump or three.
Like I said, I may or may not want to continue, I really don't know until I check it out. It just seems like a lot of dough to throw away if it's not for me.
I just need a mentor, but it seems everyone is out to make a bunch of money.....maybe it's just me.

I sold my skydiving gear and travelled from the UK to ID and got into about £5000 ($7,500ish) worth of debt to make my first stinking jump without knowing if it was for me...... I think its called effort and dedication and sacrifice to get something I wanted................
What do you want, someone to hold your fucking hand, pay for you and at the same time spread jam on it?

if you want something bad enough you will do anything to get it.................

whoa holmes,
I asked a simple question, and a legitimate one. I don't need you jumping my shit just so you can sound cool to your online buddies. Answer the question like a human or shut the fuck up.
I'll tell what, I've seen a lot of attitude from this section of this site. You guys are no cooler than anyone else.
GET OVER YOURSELF!

PS: Thanks for everyone elses courteous replies.

duude,perhaps you should read it all again...
I know he did write it in an slightly agressive tone,but he has a hard time right now.

What he were upset about were that some of you guys from US that lives in the land of opertunetyes somtimes expect at you get somthing special.

People from all over the worl travel to US to pay the same amount of mony as you should,plus their travel.now go calculate and look at your own budget..stop crying over small mony to save your life.how much do you pay to skydive?

I don't need you jumping my shit just so you can sound cool to your online buddies. Answer the question like a human or shut the fuck up.

so who are trying to look cooler right now?perhaps you should start your self beeing human when you ask others about the same;)

I'll tell what, I've seen a lot of attitude from this section of this site

welcome,if you dont like it .... ...:)

You guys are no cooler than anyone else.

huh??? we are WAY WAY cooler thats why you want to stick arround:P

GET OVER YOURSELF!

sorry i preffere women:D

he he sorry just had to make fun about your post before anyone else,i need to sound cool to my online buddyes and get my ego back:P:D

to get back to the tread,if you dont like the mony thing why dont you just find a mentor and ask him to teach you?just an idea...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Thanks for everyone elses courteous replies

your welcome;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

whoa holmes,
I asked a simple question, and a legitimate one. I don't need you jumping my shit just so you can sound cool to your online buddies. Answer the question like a human or shut the fuck up.
I'll tell what, I've seen a lot of attitude from this section of this site. You guys are no cooler than anyone else.
GET OVER YOURSELF!

--Never Pet A Burning Towerrat--:D:D:D

Had to.
Checkout JohnnyUtah.com less expensive, great experience.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Umm, maybe some consider it an insult when you call it a stinkin´ jump. What 813 and Nick D said has a lot of weight. 813 asks a valid question. Nick D makes some valid points. No one owes you anything. ya gotta earn it. It is perfectly acceptable to go out and repioneer the sport on your own. To learn from your own mistakes instead of others. I´ve known persons that did it and never spent another unit of currency. They probaly saved millions. But the cost of saving that FJC money cost them dearly. If the cost of a FJC seems prohibitive to you then it (FJC) probaly is working as it is designed to.
Assess your motives.
take care,
space

No one owes you anything.
----------------------------------------------------------

I never said anyone owes me anything. My question is valid. It cost me right around $1200 for AFF. Those costs include instructor fees, gear rental,jump tickets, video, etc.
I can climb a tower for free. I still don't see where the cost comes from. I understand the need for a ground school, that's fine, gear rental, ok, but I'm not paying for an airplane, insurance, fuel,bunk houses, or any other of the hundreds of associated costs of running a DZ.
So, I'll ask nicely one more time.
Why does it cost $1200 bucks for a BASE FJC?

Edit: I also had the option to make my first AFF jump and not proceed. That first jump surely would not have cost me $1200

Taken from the BR website.

BASE Training & FAQ
BR BASE Training Courses (Now in it's 9th year)
The BR course is an introductory course in BASE jumping. The program is normally three days in duration and held at various BASE sites around the world. During the warmer months training is conducted at the xxxxxxx xxxxxx (486 feet over water). Evenings are spent on BASE packing and rigging. The course makes use of BRs large pool of BASE video and classes are taught by Anne Helliwell, Todd Shoebotham, Jim Jennings, and Karen Thomas. This is a rigorous course of instruction so come prepared to work. These courses are very popular and we ask you to schedule well in advance. Note: There are sometimes openings at the last moment.
Karin Sako BASE packing

The Schedule:

Friday - First Jump Course theory, Practice launches, Walk landing area, Prepare equipment

Saturday - Jump, pack, debrief............. Jump, pack, debrief............. Jump, pack, debrief.............

Sunday - Jump, pack, debrief............. Jump, pack, debrief.............

BASE Course Topics Include:
- Launch Mechanics
- Site Analysis
- Weather Considerations
- Packing and Rigging
- Slider Removed Jumping
- Gear Maintenance
- The Line-Over Modification
- How to Prevent Malfunctions
- BASE Ethics
- Plus Much More

Requirements . . .
Have made at least 150 parachute jumps and be 18 years of age, or older. A $400 deposit is required.

Payment . . .
The cost of the training is $1100 U.S. Dollars. BASE equipment required to complete the course is provided.

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Question - I've already made a few BASE jumps, would I benefit from your course?
Answer - Yes. Many who have already BASE jumped take the course. Most say it's because they feel lacking in required BASE knowledge.

Question - What's with this 150 jump thing? I have fifty skydives and want to BASE jump real bad!
Answer - Sorry, you can "not" attend a BR course until you have 150 jumps. The reason is while some develop the awareness level for BASE jumping earlier, the number 150 is a recognized BASE industry standard that we follow.

Question - How many jumps will I make during the course?
Answer - This depends on the size of the class, the site we are using, and the weather conditions. Most students leave the class with an average of 3-4 low altitude freefalls.

Question - Why only legal objects in your courses?
Answer - Basic Research supports legal BASE jumping.

Question - How will I actually begin my BASE jumping?
Answer - After repeated ground practice at launching (sometimes we use a swimming pool) your first jumps will be via pilot chute assist. This means you will launch from the bridge or balloon using BR's state of the art equipment while we are holding your pilot chute. You will continue to do this until you demonstrate a stable launch and deployment sequence.

Question - Okay, I've done the stable launches, now what.
Answer - The next series of jumps will be freefalls while hand holding your own pilot chute. You can now make as many freefalls as time and conditions permit.

Question - I've finished the course. I'm now a full fledged BASE jumper ready for anything. Right?
Answer - Wrong! Basic Research provides this service to educate it's customers on the use of Basic Research equipment. We also hope you come away from the course with a realistic idea of your abilities and use that knowledge to pick and choose the BASE jumps you make.

Question - After the course, does Basic Research offer any other instruction?
Answer - Yes, we schedule three or four mini-training camps each year that are open only to our course graduates. These trips are to some of the most popular BASE sites in the world. This allows for a fun and educational trip for all involved and these camps keep you current on the latest in BASE technology.

They could make skydiving cheaper by binning the AFF course... but do you think you would be a poorer skydiver for it ?

Your paying to be taught by the people who are at the leading edge of the sport,
i wouldn't like to think how much it would cost to book Omar & Olav for 3 days intensive coaching.

I hope that goes some way to answering your question. :)

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

as I am a newbie base jumper, take this with a grain of salt...

Even with aff, most of the money goes to the instructors for all the time, money, and dedication that they have put into the sport.

Sure you can climb a tower for free, or get a friend to give you a FJC. But there-in lies the problem. Finding someone to do it for you. The reason he charges "so much" is for his time, money, and dedication that he is giving/sharing with you. Also remember that you are not reinventing the wheel with him either. You are avoiding the old outdate gear/ techniques of the old days that have killed our brothers and sisters.

You can also set a time and date with him. It is alot more slow going if you have a buddy give you a FJC. I am sure this guy could do it for "free", but this is one of the ways he supports himself.

Hope this makes sense and does not come across in an other than nice way
Leroy

I don't mean to be a prick by saying it this way, but...

If you had to go to court, you could either spend $1500 an hour to hire the best law firm in town, or you could probably get legal aid for free.

Who's more likely to win your case?

Every penny that I spent on my base FJC was well worth it, and I would have spent twice as much. The training has already saved my life.

Like fireflyr suggests check out Johnnys course. You will get more than just one jump. Plus it looks like you will get the video that your talking about. As far as the course goes, most courses are not held in the back yard of the person giving the course. So guess what. They either have to fly or drive to where the course is. Then they have to get a room. They also have to get some food. They also can supply gear. I can't imagine it is very cost effective for them to just have that many rigs just lying around when not in use. So the next point would be that a base course isn't just held every weekend. I would assume that your aff was offered every weekend and during the week weather permitting. I bet those aff rigs pay themselves off a lot quicker. So believe me no one is getting super rich off these ventures. Read this post to help get an Idea of what can be offered at a base course. It sounds to me like this course may be right up your ally. http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1099413 One last thing I have to say is that I didn't think I had the money when I started out either. But guess what, you can make it happen if you want it. Believe me you will end up spending just as much money on this sport if not more than skydiving. So if you think it is a cheap alternative think again.

Matt Davies

In a nutshell, You are paying to learn how not to die while having fun. If this aspect is not so important to you then maybe you should not partake in a FJC. You get exactly what you pay for. How much would you pay to learn how not to make deadly mistakes? When one pays for a FJC one is paying for the chance to learn from the professionals in the sport. There are not so many available students to support these professionals, so the cost reflects it. They need an income also.
AFAIK, cost has never deterred anyone from anything that they heartily wanted to do. For me, BASE jumping has proved that "impossible" is only an opinion. That in itself is priceless.
take care,
space

About a dozen years ago I heard a comment, something like; "yeah, BASE is cool 'cuz it's free"! "No planes, no manifest, just climb up and jump off".
BASE has been one of the most expensive "free" things I've ever done.
You get what you pay for Mr. Tower Rat.
Quality goods are usually not free, and free goods are usually not quality.
Where do you want your money to go? To a good instructor, or a good surgeon? Now that's not to say that even with good instruction you may not eventually give some of your money to a surgeon. If you need a surgeon, which do you prefer, the bargain guy, or the expensive expert?
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

***Friday - First Jump Course theory, Practice launches, Walk landing area, Prepare equipment

Saturday - Jump, pack, debrief............. Jump, pack, debrief............. Jump, pack, debrief.............

Sunday - Jump, pack, debrief............. Jump, pack, debrief.......

This is my point. I don't necesarily know if I want to make five or ten jumps. I may, and if so, that's great. If not, I've spent alot of money to watch other people jump off a bridge.

If you don't want to risk your money, maybe you should not risk your life.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

It's called a free market economy. Why does anything cost what it costs? Because buyers and sellers agree on the price.

If this seems over simple, I'm sorry. But it's true. You're never going to make sense of prices by trying to find out where every penny goes. If there is a market willing to pay the going rate, the sales will be made. Those who don't want to pay it, will find another way. Which you could easily do. :)
And as little as I do know about BASE, I know it's not an "assembly line" business... i.e. they're not training students left and right and getting rich off the whole thing. If prices are higher than skydiving, it probably has a lot to do with the fact that they're not dealing in nearly as high a volume.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Taken from the BR website.

BASE Training & FAQ
Note: There are sometimes openings at the last moment.

lol - that's funny enough to make an old lurker post.

Nigel

BASE 28