ptwob231

pro-tec ace wake helmet?

Has anyone tried this particular model of pro-tec? It looks a bit more secure and sturdy than some of the other models. check it out at www.pro-tec.net in the water section.
I'm down to deciding between it and the Ace Fullface. Any helpful opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

The Ace Full face is pretty cool. I have one here but it's the wrong size. Make sure you measure your head before you order it.

The protec half shell I have is a small. I figured the Ace was the same and didn't take into account it would be kid size.

Edit... and if you take a look at my avater and see the size of my melon, it's quite obvious it's not very proportionate.

I have the full face helmet by protec. I have made a handfull of jumps with it now. I love it so far. It has a removable visor. So you don't have to worry about that. The part that goes in front of your mouth/jaw isn't snug. I guess what I mean is that I have tried on skydiving full face helmets and they are tight to your face. I think that would make me closterphobic. Most of my jumps are A's and the climbs kick my ass. So I wouldn't want a helmet that would restrict my breathing and the protec Ace full face allows me to breath easy. If your jumps don't require you to wear your helmet during the approch then I guess this wouldn't be an issue. I don't know where I would carry my helmet on the majority of my jumps other than on my head.

Matt Davies

It looks like a great helmet. Your best bet is to try everything on. I've found big differences between models...so it basically comes down to comfort and protection vs. weight.

Of course, you already know this as we were just talking about it earlier tonight. Just wanted to post my thoughts for others to read.

C-ya in a week or two!

Bryan

Am I just stupid? I'm not finding a pic of the fullface?

I ordered a ACE Water a few days ago. Mostly for Kayaking, but also jumping and eventually some BASE activity if it fits and protects well.

I love Protec - Cheap, and they do the job!

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

I don't know where I would carry my helmet on the majority of my jumps other than on my head.

if you dont wear your rig as if you should jump(dont tie it up)then the chest strap is a great place to hang it;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I wear my rig for the climb because the climb is tight. So I really don't have anywhere to hang it. If I did hang it may become disruptive. When I was in moab (and other locations) I never wore my helmet until I was ready to jump.

Matt Davies

neither do i.. i really hate that wet hat:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I got a chance to try on a fullface the was correctly sized and found that i did not like it. It was comfortable and protective enough but i get the feeling that on a slider down/off jump that the extended jaw protection was too long and came to a point and would drill me in the collarbone/chest. maybe in the future i'll look into modifying one but for now its not necessary. As far as the wake model, its a hard bit to find in colorado so i ended up going with a classic halfshell. thanks for the advice. By the way, I picked up a killer set of FOX 911 knee/shin guards. they were pricy (75) but are hard core protection with no real impaction on range of motion and weigh near nothing. Look for them at a local mountain bike/bmx/freeride shop.
hastas and luegos