njasshole

Bridge Day as 1st Jump?

Hey everyone

what are everyones thoughts on using bridge day as a first jump? ive heard the site is good, but will it be enough to go through the fjc there or should i look for some more instruction..

im planning on talking to local jumpers, of course, but wanted your opinions as well. thanks for the help!

I think BD is a good place to make your first. But learn as much as you can about a BASE rig and how to pack it before you get there.

From my experience, the mini FJC they held in '02 was short, and to the point. It served it's purpose. Afterall, your not there to learn BASE jumping. It's all about jumping off that span as many times as you can in one day, and hopefully not get hurt.

Rod

it probally wouldnt hurt to land in the water either, unless you practice with the canopy you will be using
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

it probally wouldnt hurt to land in the water either, unless you practice with the canopy you will be using

Assuming one can swim. ;)
take care,
space

um... would you do bridge day if you couldnt swim?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Yes, many jumpers who cannot swim take the leap at Bridge Day. We ask jumpers to tell us if they can't swim shortly before they jump. Then we discreetly tell the four water rescue boats below.

Regardless, our water rescue crews are usually hauling your wet butt in the boats after only 5-7 seconds. They are the best in the business.

PS. Nonswimmers can always land in the LZ.;)

um... would you do bridge day if you couldnt swim?

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

wow! that is the shiznit right there, thats the money,
Leroy

The BD landing area is small surounded by very tall trees, and is extremely hard rock ground.
There is a great award given for the jumper who tries to land on the ground when the water would have saved great pain:
DFW: Dry faster than you heal.
Given for the first jumper to come blasting into the landing area busting themselves up to look cool landing on ground, verse taking the water route and looking not-so-cool, but being able to walk away.

Even thought this award is announced each year before BD, and every new jumper is warned, there is still never a shortage of jumpers looking to win this award.
My advice: Don't try to win this award at BD. ;)

Remember: Dress for the crash, not for the anticipated landing or the freefall. I have seen many people going for water landing, end up on the RR tracks due to canopy off-headings. You just never know.

Stay safe, wear all battle gear you can, even for a water landing!

-- Scars really are not that cool. B|

Hey everyone

what are everyones thoughts on using bridge day as a first jump? ive heard the site is good, but will it be enough to go through the fjc there or should i look for some more instruction..

im planning on talking to local jumpers, of course, but wanted your opinions as well. thanks for the help!

Mick Knutson
* BLiNC Magazine "Everything you ever wanted to know about Parachuting, but didn't know whom to ask."