skydvr18

MEET THE TANNING GUY

Thinking, oh well, we are now seeing the yang that results from the ying of having an everyday legal bridge. However, the feasibility of selling BASE rides has come up many times over the years in the BASE community. Even tandem BASE has been considered. (Not the way it was done at Bridge Day, but with real BASE tandem rigs). At that time the issue wasn’t should we do it, or even could we do it, it was more, where do we do it?

So, I always thought this type of thing an inevitable part of the growth of the sport. And, I can’t help but admit, I’m interested in where this is going to lead. My only concern, like many of you, was who is this fellow, and would his actions cause me to someday add an innocent vacationing wuffoe to the list of BASE fatalities.

This morning, through a reliable source, I was told who the Tanning Guy is. Anyone who still has copies of my Fixed Object Journal will find a letter, or two, from him. And also a reference to him, I made in a 1991 Bridge Day article.

His initials are C.R.

Although, I haven’t had much contact with him over the years, other than a friendly e-mail once in awhile. I knew him to have his head on straight. And he was as enthusiastic about BASE jumping as any of us. This is what I wrote of him in 1991.

“The battleship Wisconsin steamed home from the Persian Gulf with a young Navel Officer aboard named C.R.. After months at sea he had just two things on his mind, and the second thing was Bridge Day. He made his first two BASE jumps at Bridge Day 1991 [with my help] and his afterglow lasted until the last time I saw him, still on his feet at four in the morning in the lobby of the Holiday Inn. Way to go, Navy!”

Oh, and this squabbling about who’s a BASE jumper, and who’s a skydiver is solved once you remember what Janis Joplin sang, “It’s all the same thing, man.”

We are all just sport parachutists . . .

Nick :)BASE 194

Nick, are you sure we're talking about the same guy? When I talked to the tanning guy, he gave me a different name, which you'll see in my first post (I think)...initials are J.W.

Okay, as far as skydivers posting here. I do skydive from time to time, but I'm not about to go to another forum and start giving opinions on something I don't know "much" about. For example, wingsuits or freeflying. CRW is my skydiving discipline, but I'm not going to that forum and start arguing with the experienced CReW dogs.

idly wonders how many low speed drops the military has done with those parachutes and static line systems.... I dont have terribly many military static line jumps, and i've seen quite a few completely jacked exits that worked out anyway...:S and it doenst take very long to teach a PLF in the event the somehow miss the water..

is it at all possible this guy does have a very reliable way (assuming his gear is regularly PMCS'd) of doing things? What if he does? seems like many people are pissed because 'that is not the way we do it!!'

until someone actually has some facts about his equipment, training given, and method used it would seem the T&F party is a bit early....

i'm not about to sign up for his 'FJC' but then your not likely to get me under a round again ever.....

Yes, I saw that. I'm not sure what part C.R. plays here, he may not be the frontman, but rather playing a more behind the scenes role.

And I never known the person who told me about C.R. to be wrong about much.

hell, a lot of people don't even consider rollovers a BASE jump

Rollovers, unders, wads, TARDs are technically not BASE jumps. The rule (I believe) is that the jump must be made from a packed container... not sure where a DB would fit into that.

That said.. I still put rollovers in my log book.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

>>The rule (I believe) is that the jump must be made from a packed container... not sure where a DB would fit into that.<<

Carl Boenish, when defining a BASE jump said, "with a packed parachute," not a packed container . . .

And I expected the same from you. Now we are both predictable shmucks who waste far too much time blathering away on the internet.

Yet another inner directed individual wasting vast amounts of time trying not to gain the approval of others on an on-line forum.

Tree
BASE610
AD219
D something or other
MB #2756
Were Cooler Than you #1
Other Cool Skydiving Cliques #22
Not many jumps in 15 years.
But not trying to prove anything to anyone by listing all of this BS.

Have a nice day. :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reason: Camp 2 cant see that Camp 1 wants BASE to stay as safe as possible................ fucking madness...........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think anyone here debated that.

i guess you read what you want.. i have talked about this loads of times in this tread..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

In Reply To

So pull your head outta your ass

Thanks. I'll continue to try my best. I'll also remember that you said that to me.

please wash behind the ears before you flick any objects then:ph34r:
ohh and Tom usaly rember stuffB|:D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

This would certainly make him more approachable. I have to wonder how someone who actually made base jumps in the 90s could be in a time warp with "shroud lines" and antiquated equipment. For $250.00 worth of materials he could make 5 tourist base rigs in a weekend, and not have too worry about the label that comes with that kind of operation. Nick, why don't you call him if you know him and tell him our thoughs and concerns.

Thanks,

Tree

Reason: Camp 2 cant see that Camp 1 wants BASE to stay as safe as possible................ fucking madness...........

I don't think anyone here debated that.

i guess you read what you want.. i have talked about this loads of times in this tread..

I'll take this response to be a language barrier misunderstanding. What I was saying is that no one involved ever had an issue with keeping BASE safe. In fact, I think the conclusion this thread has come to via the long route is how to make sure this guy is indeed safe and doesn't jeopardize the site for BASE jumpers.

I think we have thoroughly killed this horse now, several times.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

To add to my last . . .

Carl Boenish, in the very early days of exploring, what was then ultra-low fixed object jumps, fabricated a large metal hoop to which he attached an already open round parachute with clothespins. The suspension lines hung in a U shape and led to a harnessed jumper standing next to the hoop. It was the poor man’s Coney Island parachute jump. I know Ritchie Stein made his first (of any kind) jumps like this. After these “test” jumps they started to jump packed and closed containers.

However, Carl felt the need to differentiate between the hoop type and packed type jumps. And that’s why his definition says a packed (as in not already partially deployed) parachute. A direct bag is a real BASE jump, as the parachute is packed, you’re just not wearing the container it’s packed into on your back.

Carl, of course, had no way to see what the future would bring. And believe me, Carl wasn’t all that serious about BASE in the sense that he was really just trying to have fun with it all. I think if he was alive today, he would chuckle that car-motor laugh of his, and say, “rollovers, etc, are BASE jumps too.”

Nick :)BASE 94

idly wonders how many low speed drops the military has done with those parachutes and static line systems.... I dont have terribly many military static line jumps, and i've seen quite a few completely jacked exits that worked out anyway...

Exactly, I thought about going down that road in the beginning but I could see that it would go no where. It's just one of those things you have to see/do to understand it in this context.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

In Reply To

So pull your head outta your ass

Thanks. I'll continue to try my best. I'll also remember that you said that to me.

please wash behind the ears before you flick any objects then:ph34r:
ohh and Tom usaly rember stuffB|:D

I Pm'd Tom and told him this comment was not meant for him, It was meant for the people going all Nazi on this guy for having an idea. That's all.

Also, if someone chooses to remember me for a small comment, I guess it is there choice. I think I am far more than a one comment individual and because we disagree on this one thing does not mean that you wouldn't like or respect me in person, or agree with me on many other points. Or I wouldn't agree with you. Man, it is just a discussion on some boards not a life situation.

~Chachi

"I think we have thoroughly killed this horse now, several times."

You're right on that one, Lou, but we've beat the thing so much that there's probably not much left of him to beat!! hehe :D

I just hope that with all the energy that we have spent here talking about this, someone will take the time to check into this guy's operation and help keep this site safe and open for everyone.

Not to worry.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I say that we give this award (see attached) to all the skydivers who've made this thread so darn long...;)
Congrats to all of you.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

AD219

Not bad. You DO (or did) skydive;)

I have one of those too.

Only if we can give EVERYONE who's posted to the thread this one.....

:ph34r:
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Nice pic! I didn't know BASE570 could run:ph34r:

May we live long and die out

a stunt, sure. A base jump, why wouldn't it be?

Are you jealous that he started before you?

dont take this serious
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

though I am a newbie, I diagree. you are still jumping from "said" object. why wouldnt it be a base jump?

---like you, I would also log them.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

now thats not nice. But one thing I know for sure is that he knows how to dig and get dirty! :-)

570- you know I am playing here, glad i could help ya out....
Leroy

"I still put rollovers in my log book"

That makes me feel better, I'd have a few less jumps if I didn't:D.