skydvr18

MEET THE TANNING GUY

Not seeing what he is using or knowing it's actual age would make for a lot of speculation. However, I do know that silk hasn't been used for many years on military rounds. Unless he has a WWII era chute, chances are he has F1-11 chutes. As for the nylon weakening. We do water jumps and unless it's salt water, the only thing that has to be done is a proper drying and of course an inspection for wear/damage prior to jumping it again. I doubt they have been used 15-18 years for nothing but water jumps. They might not have touched any water until he took control of them for all I know. Again, not knowing how old they are or which model harness he has, it is specualtion as to their servicability. Although a lot of the old stuff will last a very long time since it was so overbuilt. You would not believe what I see other people's Army's jumping sometimes or the way they maintain them. When you have guys tieing their static line to the anchor line cable in the A/C you know they have a maintenance problem.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You're right, it did get a bit heated. Those are the steps that I personally recommend...make plenty of skydives, find a mentor or take a FJC, make a few "practice exits" (from a diving board, for example, and make sure you REALLY WANT TO BASE JUMP.

Some people want to do it because they think they'll look cool, or get laid more than they do skydiving, or to be able to say "I'm a BASE jumper." I am in now way saying that these are your motives, because having the jumps you do, and having the skydiving abilities that you obviously have, you wouldn't need a BASE jump "to look cool." If you want to make a BASE jump, then I would gladly make a jump with you at the bridge (assuming the proper training, of course).

To stick to the topic, my desire is to keep OUR site (yes, it's yours too) open, which is why I called the tanning guy in the first place...to gain information, get the opinions of other jumpers, and decide what to do. We're doing the same concerning the experienced jumpers doing stupid stuff at the bridge.

Yes, he is using F111 chutes. I mention the multiple water landings on these rigs because he said he has been doing these jumps since '83, from the same bridge, all water landings. That does not guarantee that he is using those same rigs, but since he has 12 of them, I figure they are the same ones, or at least some of them.

Related Article Here

-------------------------------------------
FROM THE TWIN FALLS NEWSPAPER, OCT. 2003
"...Paul H. Roberts, a BASE jumper and military paratrooper.

Roberts, who has been parachuting for 30 years and says he was one of the first to BASE jump off the Perrine Bridge in 1989, said Twin Falls and Jerome counties would be wise to sit up and take notice from officials in Fayetteville (Bridge Day).

"I don't want to ban it. I want it regulated," Roberts said."

Is Twin Falls some kind of "ex-paratrooper/rigger" resort community? Geez.....
;)
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I do agree with the guy on regulation, but not by the county/city. As it's been stated many, many times on dz and blinc, we need to be able to regulate ourselves, without having to bring in outside parties.

And I'm not sure who's lying...this guy or the tanning guy. The tanning guy said he's been putting "students" off since '83.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What would you say to me, if i started offering people to skydive?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing, people have been opening DZs for a long time and will continue to do so just like people will hurl themselves off of low objects both legally and illegally in the dark of night. So again, what is this guy doing that is so wrong?

can i also teach people to skydive but in BASEgear?,becours i trust my BASE gear more than any skydive gear???

Or what about teaching SL students to fly a wingsuit soon as they get off the line???

hmm,perhaps jumping off somthing aint just to do the step..and this guy seems to not knowing shit about BASE,thats what we think is wrong,hopefuly you also does...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

What would you say to me, if i started offering people to skydive?

Nothing, people have been opening DZs for a long time and will continue to do so just like people will hurl themselves off of low objects both legally and illegally in the dark of night. So again, what is this guy doing that is so wrong?

can i also teach people to skydive but in BASEgear?,becours i trust my BASE gear more than any skydive gear???

Or what about teaching SL students to fly a wingsuit soon as they get off the line???

hmm,perhaps jumping off somthing aint just to do the step..and this guy seems to not knowing shit about BASE,thats what we think is wrong,hopefuly you also does...

Actually Faber, this guy may know shit about actual BASE jumping but it seems to me he has a clue about chucking people off into a river. I haven't actually seen evidence of him being unsafe. Bottom line, this is a fucking exhibition ride this guy is offering plain and simple. he is not offering to teach people to jump off antennas, or cliffs, he is throwing people into a lake with reliable systems. Is this the safest thing that people can do? probably not but probably alot safer than many other things in life.

Oh, and everyone that keeps saying your bridge, stop it. It isn't your bridge, it is everyone that wants to use it. As long as they play by simple rules. Oh, and instead of pretending to be someone your not, have the balls to walk up and have a discussion with the guy and voice your concerns. If he is making a little money he may want to actually work with you guys.

Why not just try and have respect for a guy and his little business. No one complains when other offer first jump instruction off this bridge, well, this guy is offering a one time thrill. As long as he isn't killing people laugh at his tanning salon/base jumping combo and move on.

~chachi

FROM THE TWIN FALLS NEWSPAPER, OCT. 2003
"...Paul H. Roberts, a BASE jumper and military paratrooper.

Roberts, who has been parachuting for 30 years and says he was one of the first to BASE jump off the Perrine Bridge in 1989, said Twin Falls and Jerome counties would be wise to sit up and take notice from officials in Fayetteville (Bridge Day).

"I don't want to ban it. I want it regulated," Roberts said."

Is this, by chance the same guy?

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Actually Faber, this guy may know shit about actual BASE jumping but it seems to me he has a clue about chucking people off into a river

im not sure i read it correct so im answering the way ithink you means it.
If he dont know shit about BASE then he dont have a clue about hucking people off a S...
If he wanted to He could use modern BASE gear...

he is throwing people into a lake with reliable systems.

Oki if thats a safe system then im not using unsafe gaer but ok thats me...

Is this the safest thing that people can do? probably not but probably alot safer than many other things in life.

so lying to people about the danger doing such a jump is ok i guess???

walk up and have a discussion with the guy and voice your concerns.

i would do if i lived there,but now i live in DK and a trip over there would cost me alot of mony..Pointe not all can do that...

Why not just try and have respect for a guy and his little business

Belive me he would have all the respect he could need if he did it the correct way...

As long as he isn't killing people laugh at his tanning salon/base jumping combo and move on.

so you basickly ask us to wait until this guy hucks a student off that gets killed and then flame??
You dont think that saving 1 life or even an injury would be ok by this diskuss???

It seems abit odd that some skydivers defend a guy that makes some unsafe coaching to students...If you guys want to jump day wouldnt you then be happy that we dont allow people like that,so you hopefule gonna survive whith out injuryes if/when you start jumping...

just thinking out loud here...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Hi Lou,

Water is pretty bad for F-111. Although sun is much worse, water separates the fibers and seriously degrades porosity. A good rule of thumb would be 1 water landing = 20 - 50 jumps of wear. Don't get me wrong, these rounds could have the porosity of an old T shirt and the tourist jumpers wouldn't know the difference. I think that BPS made the best case regarding the distance of fall before the system tensions. I would really doubt that someone goes in, unless our intrepid "instructor" forgets to tie off the SL, or leaves a pul up cord in the containers. I only hope that at least he is not using cones instead of soft loops.

He will never get rich doing this. My guess is that he is simply trying to capitalize on the tourist aspect of the bridge and make a few extra bucks. I do think that he is lying when he tells them how safe it is or that parachtes don't malfunction. THe mal rate on rounds is unquestionably higher than squares, especialy give the likely stability problems from total neophytes with very limited instruction.

Cya.

THe mal rate on rounds is unquestionably higher than squares

I have to disagree with this. We hurl whole divisions of people out of A/C under Military rounds on a constant basis. Of the few accidents that do occur , I have yet to see one that was attributed to the Main malfunctioning.Most injuries are attributed to jumper error either while under canopy or on landing.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

A discusion with the man might be the way to go.

Holy crap! Sensibility! I'm assuming Tom is on that one. I'm also assuming that this is the result of letting ideas formulate in his head, unchecked for too long. When asking himself, "What could go wrong?", he very likely doesn't have the experience, information resources, or contacts to answer those questions. He needs his bubble burst. That's all.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

If he is making a little money he may want to actually work with you guys.

I know! A freefall video concesion!:DB|:S:ph34r::P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I agree that talking to the guy is the best tactic. So any of you who may still be under the misconception that I'm trying to ruin his business, remember that I called as a wannabe to gain information to share with other BASE jumpers. I called the guy earlier to let him know we weren't coming, so he isn't expecting us.

I've obtained the info, I've shared it with other jumpers, I told him that my group isn't coming, and now we're working on a plan...most likely talking to the guy now that we have some info on him.

2. Someone could go and check his operation out, make sure his gear and support is up to snuff. Maybe give him some advice on how to better do a thing or two so that your protecting the site for everyone in the long run.

That has to be the most intelligent thing I've read in this entire thread!

I doubt this guy will stop, infact if you try to physically stop him, I bet he gets the cops involved. Also, if his operation fucks up and hurts/kills someone, then guys who sufferes. Not him, not really, the BASE community sufferes.

So pull this SOB under your wing and teach him things the right way with modern BASE specific gear.

Also, I'm willing to bet that if you approach him as "I'm a BASE jumper your wrong and dangerous, I'm going to teach you the right way" that he will ignore you and any other BASE jumper that tries to help him.

Tact will be needed, as well as soft words nudging in the right direction, once he realizes whats going on, he'll most likely be asking for help.

For instance, invite him to come jump with you some afternoon, work the conversation to talking about the pioneers of the sport, talk about the gear, then talk about how cool you think it is that the gear has made life so much safer and more fun, etc. Get some jumps with the guy, show off your skill and your gear, without making it all out to be as if you were trying to show off and make him look bad. If the guy has any sense he'll start asking questions.

Hell, you might even learn a bit about military gear and military jumping by chatting with the guy, you never know.

Eitherway, good luck!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Actually Faber, this guy may know shit about actual BASE jumping but it seems to me he has a clue about chucking people off into a river

im not sure i read it correct so im answering the way ithink you means it.
If he dont know shit about BASE then he dont have a clue about hucking people off a S...
If he wanted to He could use modern BASE gear...

So you think putting these people under a FOX would be safer? How do you suggest they land it.

he is throwing people into a lake with reliable systems.

Oki if thats a safe system then im not using unsafe gaer but ok thats me...

I never said he was using safe BASE gear, but these people aren'tBASE jumping, they are getting hucked off a bridge under a round for a ride.

Is this the safest thing that people can do? probably not but probably alot safer than many other things in life.

so lying to people about the danger doing such a jump is ok i guess???

where has he lied?

walk up and have a discussion with the guy and voice your concerns.

i would do if i lived there,but now i live in DK and a trip over there would cost me alot of mony..Pointe not all can do that...

didn't mean you should specifically do it...

Why not just try and have respect for a guy and his little business

Belive me he would have all the respect he could need if he did it the correct way...

Again, do you know a better way to give non skydivers a BASE like ride safer?

As long as he isn't killing people laugh at his tanning salon/base jumping combo and move on.

so you basickly ask us to wait until this guy hucks a student off that gets killed and then flame??
You dont think that saving 1 life or even an injury would be ok by this diskuss???

What he is doing has less risk than many commercial extreme experiences do.

It seems abit odd that some skydivers defend a guy that makes some unsafe coaching to students...If you guys want to jump day wouldnt you then be happy that we dont allow people like that,so you hopefule gonna survive whith out injuryes if/when you start jumping...

just thinking out loud here...

So, what is a good way to give non skydivers a BASE like experience?

I would not hesitate to go jump this guy's systems as they are - it sounds like a reasonable and safe set-up to me, provided he doesn't jump it in questionable winds... You pick the tools for the site. Landing in water - you don't need mojos or flicks...

Lots of people jump rounds into the river...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Six Flags

Six Flags

hmmm, not the answer i was looking for. you guys don't get it. we came up for a way for whuffos to know the "feeling" of a skydive (tandem) and a way to charge and make money from it. why are we surprised that someone came up with a way for people to get the "feeling" of a BASE jump?

~Chachi

I get it just fine. I also know that you're not guaranteed a water landing at the Perrine. Even on a non-steerable round. Assuming the canopy is open in about 175 feet, that's over 400 feet of altitude prior to touch down.

why are we surprised that someone came up with a way for people to get the "feeling" of a BASE jump?

A.J. Hackett runs a very good bungee operation in Vegas. That would be pretty darn close.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I get it just fine. I also know that you're not guaranteed a water landing at the Perrine. Even on a non-steerable round. Assuming the canopy is open in about 175 feet, that's over 400 feet of altitude prior to touch down.

Well I guess we could nit pick this guy to death. The bottom line is there is risks in everything, but I think his are very manageable. We should discuss this, especially if we can be objective but straight up, its his ass more than ours. I just don't think he is being as reckless as some may think and if he has success at this good for him. I, like the rest of you hope nothing bad happens too.

~Chachi

WOW- This thread has really gone on. I'm just curious, which of you guys actually BASE jump? Just wondering dus to all the posts over this thing.

Cya.

Think about it. He hasn't put that many people off in reality. I happen to know enough about parachutes and their function to have an educated guess about what happens if this becomes a regular activity.

I gave a perfectly valid point of view based on personal experience. Using that Personal experience, one can deduce that a water landing is not remotely guaranteed unless you steer it there. Chances are the unsuspecting ballast at the end of the lines will enter the water, but given any number of variables, the ballast is land bound.

I've many jumps from that bridge (that's for you tree) and I could certainly say it's not too much of a nitpik

My first answer was short and to the point. And I was serious.

If you want to experience a parachute ride, do a static line out of an airplane.

That's my input and people are free to agree or disagree

So, carry on! Can you believe this is a Flaming thread. I think it's only the second flaming thread in the BASE zone. The other one was the bridge day thread when we all tried to register and couldn't? Remember that day? That... was an exciting day!

-----------------------------------
Relax. This is just an internet discussion. It's net effect on real life is fairly low. ~~TomAiello~~