beavdog

1st Jump Classes

I am looking at getting into BASE jumping and was thinking about taking a class. Is there anyone out there that has taken one such as the ones offered by Basic Research and Vertigo. If so, Pros and Cons?

Here's to the Breezes that blows through the Trezzez.....

I took the Vertigo course, and have nothing but good things to say about it (other than the sleet and rain in November, hehe). Jimmy and Marta are great people, and have A LOT of knowledge. It's also nice knowing you have a resource like that for the rest of your career. Also, I have heard a lot of good things about Johnny Utah's course, courses have been known to last a week (don't think thats standard, but would be awesome if it was) and involve around 20 jumps or so, which is an amazing way to start out, ultra current.

Johnny Utah
[email protected]
I have taken his course and have nothing but praise.

www.johnnyutah.com
The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over - Hunter S. Thompson

I took a course from Dr. Utah, back before he was running an actual course, but that kid's ON IT! I've (like most others) modified my packing/methodology over the years, but I wouldn't be nearly as capable (or alive) without him. For starters, order a copy of his saftey video, if you've never made a jump, the video shows you; A. What not to do, and; B. What you are potentially getting yourself into.

-good luck

Morpheus (IMHO) are worth considering. PM me if you want more info....
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

are you still alive bro:ph34r: thanks for last time,hope your hangovers are over by now:D:ph34r:

I dont think there an bad course out there,its more about which gear do you want to jump?If you expect to jump Vertigo gear then why not take their course as they can tell you more about the gear..and the same in case you considder gear from others.Unless its a mony/travel thing.. just my thourghts after i have read from different people trying out different FJCs

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I have an extra rig and we have an elevator that runs great. Bring lots of beer and party supplies and we will throw you right off of that A. You will learn to pack fast because you will have to pack for both of us. Don't worry, you will have plenty of time to rest on the elevator ride. Wide open landing area and a bar five minutes away. Real base, real easy. If you want you can give us some lunch money, but we can't take cash for learnin you to huck.

Cya.

Tree :P

well i have(by mid sept.)also 2 rigs and as i migt consider you guys to learn me to MCconkey that will mean 4(8inkluding you)jumps on 4 pack jobs.Ill pack,just dont forget im used to bad offheadings due fast packing,and as i never use an slider your canopy might crack hard open quicker than you expect,on thouse terminal jumps:ph34r::D

Ill buy the lunch if you buy ALL the beers:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Dude I was there! It Fucking rocked!
Take Johnny's course... Seriously!
Learned a lot had a blast didn't die.
:)
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

I took the Base Course from Rob and Kathy at Morpheus Technologies. I have nothing but great stuff to say about those guys. Super knowledgable and fun! I am sure they are doing a course out at Perrine during Labor Day if you can wait that long. I also bought a Gargloyle and Troll to go along with the course. Great products and great people.

www.baserigs.com

the pattern seems to be that people advise you to take the course they did because "it rocked" - but they dont have anything to compare it with. As far as they are concerned it got them some jumps, they were safe, and they learnt a bunch of stuff............. but there are no comparisons to be made.

I did one manufacturers FJC just over 2 years ago, and I have sat down and spoken to friends that have done other courses. The one I would advise doing is not the one I did.

PM me if you want my thoughts.................

Michael

I've spent a lot of time at TF, and saw a lot of courses while I was doing my own thing...

I've seen BR, Vertigo, and Johnny Utah's, and a couple others...

They are all excellent- if there was one that had students going in 50% of the time, you would have heard about it already... Call all the manufacturers and see who you get a good vibe with over the phone, that might be the place to start, and clicking with the people that are going to show you BASE is more important than anything, in my opinion...

I've seen two of Johnny Utah's courses, and had friends in each one of them. Not only is Johnny a badass BASE jumper, but he is also an excellent teacher. Most of all, his courses are a week long, cost less, and the majority of his students leave with 20-25 video debriefed jumps throughout the week... But, what do I know...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

... Call all the manufacturers and see who you get a good vibe with over the phone, that might be the place to start, and clicking with the people that are going to show you BASE is more important than anything, in my opinion...

Very good point. I certainly agree with that.

I took Johnny's course and was privileged to be the only student in the course, it was stellar. If I had to choose a single attribute about taking his course that I found most helpful, it is his genuine concern to be available for continuing education about base long after the course is over. He has been a great resource several months after the fjc.
Sig lines are so stupid.