AirMan

DIABLO...Pro & Con

I've read all the threads posted thus far on the Diablo, but I need more info! I'm seriously considering a 120 or 135. I've been jumping a Safire 139. From what I know so far is, the Diablo is a good, solid canopy but doesn't flare/swoop worth a poop...but then I've heard that 7-cells don't anyways.
Anymore help, advice, info on the Diablo would be mucho appreciated!

I put about 50 jumps on a Diablo 135 last year. I mainly saw it as a transition canopy between the Sabre 135 I owned last year and the Stiletto 135 I now jump.
I surfed that Diablo farther than half the other canopies on the DZ, but that was probably due to technique.
I only had one spinner on the Diablo and that was clearly caused by uneven shoulders. Diablo turns as fast as a Stiletto, but does not glide as fast.
Diablo is a good canopy for weekend jumpers with soft openings, light toggle pressure and soft landings. It requires above average skill to turf surf and will never win a blade-running competition.
My boss described the Diablo as "a Stiletto without the scary openings."

From what I know so far is, the Diablo is a good, solid canopy but doesn't flare/swoop worth a poop...

Untrue. Great canopy, swoops well, but not like a 9 cell. flare is good, those that don't thinks probably have little experience with a 7 cell. Openings a great. People who don't think a 7 cell can swoop, must not belive in the performance of a Velocity, FX, or Xaos 21.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I have a diablo 150 as a back up canopy. It is bigger then the Samurai I use as my primary main but that thig spins like a top (diablo that is). It is huge amounts of fun to fly and you can get a swoop out f it at the end if you know what your doing. Not a X-braced caliaber swoop but a very nice solid swoop.

It does not have 9 cell glide characteristics but as a 7 cell it generally kicks the crap out off the performance that I have felt under different 7-cells. Yeah Yeah not the X-braced 7-cells. This canopy is not a beginner canopy. It turns faster then a lot of "hotter" canopies I have jumped. You would be suprised! It will turn at min as fast as but probably slightly faster then a stiletto. That is if the stilletto is not being a spinnetto (stiletto with a bad opening) usually resulkting in a cutaway) . Higher FR pressure and less responsivness in a FR turn (straight leadig edge) but whip a toggle turn and its off to the races!

Great canopy, I dont know whay they stopped when Aerodyne took over???

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Thanks for all the info and advice. But how hard, or easy, is it to SPIN-Up the Diablo upon deployment? Is it anything like a Stiletto (Spinetto) in this regard? I want elliptical type fun, but don't want the headaches of worrying about spinning mals. I know alot of it depends on body position when dumping, but I'm sure some canopies are more sensitive to this than others.

I wonder if the Stiletto/Spinetto remarks are made mainly by those who have never jumped one? PD's Stiletto is one of the best traditional hp canopies around. Thats why it has been so popular for so long. Naturally you have to have the skills to fly it. In keeping with this post, my (very) limited experience with the Diablo is that it accentuates the deficiencies of both nine and seven cell canopies. That is why it proved to be so unpopular. Unless you are getting a seriously hot deal on a Diablo most people I know would reccommend buying something else. Like maybe a Stiletto.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

how hard, or easy, is it to SPIN-Up the Diablo upon deployment?

I'd imagine it's just as hard or easy to spin up as any other canopy. How it flies after it's spun up... different story. Anything that responds radically to harness input (ie, can be spiraled) can result in a spinning malfunction in line twists where the risers are uneven. Even then, the harness itself and how you throw your weight in this situation will play a role in how much hip input you can give to a canopy, and whether or not you'll have spinner or just some twists to undo.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

my comments on the Diablo can be found here http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=427254;search_string=diablo;#427254

My biased opinion is that the Diablo is fun until you have line twists then you'd better chop it. Out of about 200 jumps on the canopy I've chopped it 3 times. Once was due to a known packing error though.

A Diablo owner at my home dz described the canopy as "twitchy". I've heard it called a Spectre on steroids. Both comments fit.

Why don't you demo one and then decide whether YOU like it. I have a Diablo 135 loaded at 1.7:1
Nice canopy nice openings. Stable in winds. Not everyone likes them for the reasons given above but you aren't going to know whether its right for you until you put a few jumps on it.