NickDG

Analyze This . . .

Unrequited love can really mess a guy up.

That's a gem if I've ever seen one. :ph34r:

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Wow......
Glad that is over with....(for at least 30 days)
Untill the next the next person says the name of..
* Dwain Weston *

Nick, In your Post
I think you hit the nail on the, HEAD
nice job.

Analyzing what Nick said ?
I agree with most of it except

1- BASE jumping is addictive, like a drug.
Makes me wonder. ?
I can't Quit. (can you ?)

2- You've seen it all ?
Hope I never do. Otherwise I would
Have to Go-In becouse of the Boredom.
(Oh..F##k, I guess that would be suicide)
*Just joking people*
If I go in it wont be out of boredom.
;)

If I go in it wont be out of boredom.

And you really can't ask for more than that can ya? B|

- Z

not to you personaly Zennie..

some of you guys really need to go out experience BASE life,AND enjoy it,get a jump,get the peace in your mind,breathe and enjoy life instead of flaming each other all the time...[:/]

Dont ruin the sport our brothers and sisters died for,im sure they never wanted their freinds fighting like this,neither would they like to see how you harm the sport each time you does this...

If you want to fight each others then do so,but do like real men/girls get blod on your shirt and dont forget to video it to to make a laugh of in the future...dont bitch like small girls for things over years...

Back to the tread:
Nick i think you cut too rugh the way you describ it..

Im the 2years wonder,whith just over 100jumps and an injury under my belt...and i dont think the way you describes fits on me,nor does the jumpers in that range that i know off..

I did/does admire DW for what he did for the sport,the same i do about Carl B. i were never in doubt who found the word BASE but to be honest i dont think either DW or Carl B ever really cared alot about the credit for what they did for the sport.. they did it becours they love the sport and the credit belongs to the sport and not single persons...

atleast thats the way i think.. That DW didnt invent BASE dosnt matter,what matters is that all thouse who are pionerin in this sport gives the best in them self to make it a safer place for me and you.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Oh boy. I've been off line since for several days. Last time I logged on, this thread had only the one post. I've got some thoughts here. So I'll indulge myself and post repeated times to the end of the thread. Since the owner of this particular sandbox has already cleaned up a bit, I don't feel any particular need to break out the rake and shovel he loans me on occasion.

Stage One: The New BASE jumper – This person started about two years ago and thinks Dwain Weston invented BASE jumping.

I don't see this as an attack on Dwain at all. I don't think Dwain would have either.

I think Nick's stages work pretty well as a generalization. Which is to say, they are not totally precise, but they do give a good idea as to the stages that many of us go through. He may have missed some stages I've seen (like the "near suicidal, I don't care if I go in" phase), and if I ever get back to the original point of the discussion, maybe I'll think about that some more.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

...I'll be happy to hear your feedback on my mental state when you've walked in my shoes for a few miles.

For the record, I believe that I have glimpsed the miles Doug's shoes have walked better than most in the BASE community.

Believe me, if you had taken even a few of those steps, you'd be drooling on yourself in a rubber room. I know I would.

Doug, we all know how you feel about this. I think Sangiro has made it pretty clear that his web site is not the place to discuss it. Let's get together and do some jumps, have some fun, and talk about it. There's no need to waste your energy repeating things here, and pissing people off.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The thing is that, in terms of Dwain's death, 99% of the way it played out is unknown to 99% of jumpers.

As far as I know, you are the only person that thinks it's a suicide.

Never be sure you know what everyone thinks.

Anyway, what difference does it make?

Dwain is gone. We can't bring him back. All we can do is each deal with his loss in the way that is best for us. That's going to be different for each of us.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The first person to guess the name of BASE 395 gets a free IV gift.

Am I first? And does it count as guessing if I already knew the answer? :P
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Unrequited love can really mess a guy up.

That's a gem if I've ever seen one. :ph34r:

I'm going to address this particular, nasty rumor that I keep seeing floating around the BASE world.

Doug Spink was not "in love," in the romantic sense, with Dwain Weston. Karin Sako did not "steal" Doug's boyfriend. Doug was not jealous of Karin and Dwain as a spurned lover. Doug did not make any kind of romantic or sexual advances toward Dwain.

I base these statements on (a) in depth conversations on this subject I had with Dwain shortly after he had moved to L.A. to be with Karin, (b) my knowledge of Doug and his psychology and sexuality, and (c) conversations I have had with Doug about the nature of his relationship with Dwain. All of these conversations were had at times when none of the parties had any reason to lie to me about the content of the discussions.

All you vultures who think you've figured this all out and that's what's going on here, you're completely wrong. Please leave off. You are radically oversimplifying the complex relationship between at least two facinating people, and doing a disservice to those left living, as well as the memory of those who have died.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

They measured themselves by how they treated others who they respected, and whose respect they had earned through their actions.

Several years ago, I had an experienced that was important to me.

I described it here in these words:

I will never forget that afternoon when so many of our brothers walked away rather than witness my madness. I will never forget that it was you that stood by me, and accompanied me to the exit point for final gear checks. I will never forget that you were far more frightened for my safety than I had ever been. You may have disapproved, but you saw that I needed your loyalty, and it touches me still that your concern for me may have been the only thing strong enough to lead you into conflict with some of our mates.

The thing I learned that day was not that you can freefall a vented canopy from 150'. Nor was it that if you do such a thing over hard earth you'd better be prepared to PLF.

In fact, what I learned was that when the whole world stands against you, the measure of your friends is that they will stand behind you. It's not that they aren't friends with everyone else. It's not that they wouldn't stand behind those other people, too. It is, quite simply, that at that moment, you need them standing behind you.

Doug, I'll stand behind you.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Doug, I'll stand behind you too. Come on down to Kentucky sometime, chill a bit with the wife, dog and horses, t.v. towers and sickeningly low bridges over water(all freefallable by a sick phuck)
BASE 386
Chesnut

All you vultures who think you've figured this all out and that's what's going on here, you're completely wrong.

OK I admit I fell prey to the rumor-mill bandwagon with that.

My most sincere apologies to Doug. Nor was any disrepect toward Dwain intended.

I'll shut up now.

- Z

Dwain is gone. We can't bring him back. All we can do is each deal with his loss in the way that is best for us. That's going to be different for each of us.

Tell you what. Do this for me and humor me.

Take the name Dwain, out of the sentence and
put anybody's name in there that has died jumping.

All we can do is each deal with his loss in the way
that is best for us.

Basically the more you jump, the more friends made.
This applies to BASE and Skydive also any other
group sport that is dangerous.
If you are in BASE long enough you will see someone
die. -Or- You will hear about someone you jumped
with that died. If you just started jumping you
eventually will. That is a fact.

How do each of us on a emotional level deal with
this fact ? To what We witness, will witness or were
informed of. ?

I have had several friends die in BASE, and a few die
skydiving over the years. The way that I deal with
the loss of friends or acquaintances jumping. I usually
shuffle there image and memories to the back of my
mind for storage. Where I can bring back all the good
times, jumps, and whatever else we shared. I think
back and Smile. That's how I deal with it. Emotionally
I try to throw away the bad and keep the good.
Kind of simple but it works.
Right or wrong it works for me. I Jump On. Till I quite.

Humor me a little more Answer me this :

*How else do you do it ?
*Anyone else got a better way to deal with the death
of a jumper that you know ?

*This is the dark side of jumping ?
*How Dark do you make it ?

*How do you do it ?
*Do you become like a piece of Ice ?

*Do you spend your time dwelling in the darkness
and drowning in your own emotional squalor ?

* Is there some happy medium in between you can
live by and continue jumping ?

...Ray