Perrinegrl

Popular site being burned

I'm sorry, I just have to chime in here.

Don is drawing attention to the scene by notifying the police of our antics and creating attention and problems where ther otherwise would be none.

Otherwise be none? Its a problem if you're jumping off the rail. So its all Don's fault, huh? Way to take some responsibility...:S

I mean come on, if you want to preserve an object the last thing you do is call the cops or notify them and tell them there is a problem.

Wrong. If you want to preserve that object, the last thing you do is jump from the rail... again, way to take some responsibility...

I have never been to the Potato bridge. I would like to go there someday and make legal jumps. Don't f*ck it up just cause you think no one is watching...

Edited to say: Not directed at you Tom... at JT.

I think when Jesus said "love your enemy" he probably meant don't kill them.

>>>A Little History - The Flatbed Ten
Jason Bell (BASE428, D-16725)<<<

Jason has it basically right, yet maybe a nod to that long ago era (in BASE time it’s light years) might be considered. There are also some similarities to today.

The Flatbed Ten was a diverse group and “asshole” certainly applied to some of them, but not all. (I wouldn’t call Ray Cottingham that, where it might apply to Dennis Murphy). And a few of them are dead now anyway.

The jumpers didn’t really push the USPA into the El Cap program. The USPA is firmly behind the idea after a legal demonstration jump (that went better than the one done 25 later) where many on the demo are USPA officials. There is a meeting held at Perris Valley in the spring of that year attended by Joe Svec and others from the USPA, and a bunch of local jumpers like Dick Pedly, and Bob Blanchard. I was there because someday I wanted to jump El Cap too. The meeting is called to hammer out the rules . . .

The first rule that didn’t go down well is (jump) boots. This is a time when only students wore boots and a pair of ratty sneakers are badges denoting an experienced jumper. Amusing now that we are all wearing boots again.

The gear requirements are simple and reflect the level of skill possessed at the time. Remember, these people aren’t BASE jumping; they are skydiving off a cliff. A square main and round reserve are required. The thinking is a cutaway would be a low one and a round would be safer to land on the boulder strewn talus than a square. This isn’t as weird as it sounds when you consider many jumpers are still using square/round combinations at the drop zone.

No jumps after 8:30 or 9:00 in the morning. This is one that should have raised a red flag, but we didn’t know any better at the time. Jumps should always be dictated by conditions and not by time. This rule would come back to haunt us.

The jumps are by individual permit issued by the Park Service. That one didn’t work out too well either. If you are a Frog, Brit or Aussie whose visa has expired you tended to skip this portion of the rules.

No Night Jumps . . . Little did we know, that sometimes at night, under a full moon, might just be the safest time to jump. (Especially if you are Frog, Brit, or Aussie whose visa has expired).

Hard helmet, jumpsuit, eye protection, and an altimeter rounded out the rules . . .

Oh, and no group exits or RW.

The USPA printed a couple of “how-to” articles in PARACHUTIST and the show was on.

It lasted eight weeks. The Flatbed Ten is just the last straw. There are numerous night jumps, un-permitted day jumps, lots of RW attempts including a four-way diamond that almost didn’t funnel. And like newer BASE jumpers today, these skydivers are at the top of their game and no one is going to tell them what to do.

There is some inference the Park Service allowed the program in the first place in order to log enough rule breaking to close the park to jumping forever. And we gave them rule breaking in spades.

The USPA went to a position that fixed object jumping and skydiving are two different things and washed their hands of it. There is much grumbling about this after all the guys at Headquarters made their jumps (including Bill Ottly, who had a picture of his El Cap jump the size of the Mona Lisa hanging on his USPA office wall until the day he retired) that the rest of us could just swing in the wind.

Every time we go into some agreement to jump that involves rules we have this same problem. Rail jumping has been a no-no for over twenty years. It’s the rule at Greenie; it’s the rule in the Arizona desert. It should be taught in all first BASE jump courses, along with history of the sport in general. (I hate hearing, this course is just site specific so we skip all that.”)

We have two choices. Either we do a better job educating newer BASE jumpers, or we tell the “Man” that human flight is our birthright and they can shove the rules up their ARSES. If all BASE jumpers followed artificial rules we’d never be where we are. BASE technologies exploded because there were no rules, no permission to beg, in order to try new things.

Nowadays, we must tread more lightly, because we are leaving a bigger footprint. We should protect newer jumpers from themselves and what they can do to the sport. How you do that is another thing.

I think our path lays somewhere between peer regulating and telling the “Man” to shove it up their ARSES.

Nick :)BASE 194

We are self regulating as far as Perrine goes. This means if anyone sees anyone up on the rail, tell them to get the fuck down, and then maybe give them a little bitch slap. Better yet, grab their PC, wrap it around their feet a couple times, and give them a push. I'm sure they will not jump from the rail again. :P

Exactly!

Might I add that we should be self regulating everywhere. No matter what your stature is in the world of the "easily impressed whuffo", you still bleed like the rest of us. Bleedin 'em out, will weed 'em out. Lot's of hard-heads out there. Just follow the simple fuggin rules people.

I'm not saying you should go around beatin up (or trying to) all the people that break the rules, but at the very least a good tarin. The boys that took care of JV are, in my book, a shining light of base patriotism.

JT's response in Tom's post reminds me of when one gets in trouble in high school and you try to grey-up all the facts with bullshit while trying to defer the blame to some inocent bystander(Don). You broke the rules; plain and simple. Be a man and tell us all to fuck off or appologize and admit your mistake.
-Bryan

I love base like a fat kid loves cake

I guess I should have cited my source for the "Flatbed Ten" paragraph and the word "asshole". It didn't come from my mouth, but straight from this website (it's all I could find on the Flatbed Ten). I was way too young in the early 1980's to even attempt to write that paragraph myself.....nor would I call someone I haven't met or interacted with such a word.

Jason has it basically right... and “asshole” certainly applied to some of them, but not all.

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

JT's response in Tom's post reminds me of when one gets in trouble in high school and you try to grey-up all the facts with bullshit while trying to defer the blame to some inocent bystander(Don). You broke the rules; plain and simple. Be a man and tell us all to fuck off or appologize and admit your mistake.

That's what I was thinking, you worded it well. I am interested in what Miles and Shane have to say.

If you guys want to pull some illegal stuff, do it off a site that's already illegal. Don't mess one of our few precious legal sites up. Show a little respect for your fellow BASE jumpers and don't be selfish. Think next time before you let all the media and ego go to your heads. You are no better than any other BASE jumpers and we respect the rules so everyone can still jump, please show the same courtesy. I thought part of being a community was helping eachother, not dicking over everyone else to make yourselves look "cool" to the whuffos driving by in cars. It was obvious that what you were doing was wrong and I'm sure you knew it, you may make poor decisions, but you're not stupid. Next time show better judgement, you guys know better.

Katie.

reading all this back and forth discussion about what was right, what was wrong, who did what, who said what..................

In the end the only matter here that jumps were made off the rail..............

I live in a different country and I know that you should not jump the rail................

its as clear cut as that too me..................

simple.............. dont do it.........

There was a reply from the GREAT Shane McConkey over on the base board. I tried to reply, but as usual I can't my posts to stick to the BASE board. Here is my reply to shane, jimmy halliday, and JT.

Simply put, you guys are really making asses of yourselves. Your attitude is exactly what will get Perrine shut down. It is exactly what happened at Yosemite so many years ago. "Were real base jumpers and we'll do what ever we want to"! We're so much cooler than you. I don't know you guys very well, but I'll tell you the same as anybody else. If I saw you standing on the rail I would wrap your bridle around your feet and push you off. Your attitude sucks. I would be glad to have a personal discussion with you about this.

Ohh, you did it to get great video? Oh my gosh, why didn't you just say so. That makes it OK to be a giant DICK to every other jumper. I mean, when we can't do legal jumps from Perrine, we'll all be able to stand around and watch your dorkey ass water ski jump and think how cool you are, and how much you did for everyone by shooting another boring ass same as the last dozen piece of shite BASE video. Just what we need! Way to go. Have any more original ideas? Its hard to believe your not filty rich with genius thinking like that. Stop by after your nap and I'll give you $1.00 to think of more great ways to support BASE.

Unfucking believable.

As a new jumper, I need this bridge (all 20 of my jumps to date are from this site with many more jumps anticipated). Please people don't do stupid things which would jeopardize such a great location. We have been given a gift which should be respected. And to people like Meghan and Don. I want to thank you very much for being such great ambassadors for us towards the town of Twin Falls.

See you soon Meghan (and I hope your jump the other week went well). ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

For those that don't read the Base Board anymore (does anybody), here is JT Holmes attitude towards jumpers who don't care for his reckless behavior regarding the Perrine.

Hi You Guys!!!

check out the great shots I got of the water ski BASE jump featured on the news... an entire sequence!
it is found on line at
http://www.grantkphoto.com/base/index.html

this jump can also be seen in JImmy Halliday's next video...stay tuned to blinc to get hold of his film this fall.

all are still welcome at my bridge... come on up to Idaho and have and have splash, but be sure to leave negative nancy at home. Pesimistic Paully isn't allowed at my bridge either.

so, dont forget to check out the pics at:

http://www.grantkphoto.com/base/index.html

later
jt

Personally, I am going to write RedBull and tell them what I think of their sponsored pussy ass jumpers running around and doing things that endanger access to the premiere object in the US. I've already sworn off Red Bull and suggest everyone do the same. Try Rock Star energy drink. Its twice as big as a Red Bull for the same price, and it taste either the exact same or a little better.

I've always said that people are mighty brave on line and this twat JT is no diffferent. . All in the name of showing off for the camera. If you're so cool, why not do all of your faggot ass carnival stunts off of a cliff in Moab. Ohhhhh, you might get hurt there. It might actually be dangerous, or possibly even an original idea. What a DICK.

Tree
BASE 610

Personally, I am going to write RedBull and tell them what I think of their sponsored pussy ass jumpers running around and doing things that endanger access to the premiere object in the US. I've already sworn off Red Bull and suggest everyone do the same.

I was planning on doing the same... though I was also going to tell them I'm boycotting Red Bull, and telling as many people as I can to do likewise, until the people they sponsor act in a responsible and respectful manner.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I like Blue ox better! try it! Monster is pretty good too.
Kick the bull habit!
I'm with you.
Word!
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

I was planning on doing the same... though I was also going to tell them I'm boycotting Red Bull, and telling as many people as I can to do likewise, until the people they sponsor act in a responsible and respectful manner.

Doing the same. Can you PM me the contact info, don't have time to do the research right now.......more to come..........
-Bryan

Here was the reply to JT that I posted on Blinc...

"Your Bridge? YOUR BRIDGE???

You guys really DO want to get the JV treatment don't you?"

- Z

Finally got loged on here. Wow! There's loads of fun on this forum! The following is my post on Blinc:
Alright people, I can't think of any more ways to screw with you so I'll be serious for once and be done with this thread.
As I said before, we were wrong for a few top rail jumps. We've always known about that rule and did it anyway because it sure is nice to jump from there. We waited till there were big breaks in the traffic so less drivers would see. Whatever, this is no excuse of course. I honestly did not think that a few top rail bails would raise such a stink from you guys. We're wrong about that one so, sorry. All flaming for this is well directed.
Now, you all are so quick to judge us and point fingers at us evildoers and include Red Bull in this. Yes, it feels good to be a hater and to convince yourselves that the issues are black and white and to get all fired up to see it the easy way. The reality is that the news program (ordered by someone else, not us) showed base in a very positive manner. It did nothing but to improve our relationship with the town of Twin Falls. We have never been a screw you type of object burning group of guys. I get interviewed and articles printed and TV shows coming to me all the time and they are always asking me to talk about base as well as skiing. I make a point to always do my best to show base in a positive manner. Even the visitors center employee ladies came out an did some interviews about our presence in Twin Falls. They were very positive and even started taking our pictures and asking us to sign them for the visitors center. It was pretty classic! You are wrong to call us object burners. Make no mistake, I only take the screw you attitude on this forum because there are so many whining crybabies over-thinking and getting all heated up over things they no nothing about and most importantly were not there for. It really gives me pleasure to get your goats.
I find it interesting that you are all so happy to flame us but there has been almost no conversation about Don. You must realize that Don's crime was far worse than ours. Don's actions are going to burn the Perrine quicker than ours. Again, I have respect for Don for all he has done for us with his service and with his interaction with the city. However, I now must severely question his interaction with the city based on what he recently did. The cops told us directly that he was the informant about the water skiing problem. A rule he decided to make up. Who is he to make up rules for us? One of the people who should have a say in it of course but never the only one. He alone should not just decide that we can't do something because he thinks it is dangerous. Jumping with water skis is not that big a deal. Its actually pretty easy and really fun. We do not need more rules at the Perrine. More rules means more rules people will break and then we end up arguing them on the crybaby board and possibly Don calling the police on us again. The most important thing is to keep the police and the town of Twin Falls out of all issues involving us base jumpers. Otherwise the town starts talking about it again and it puts the idea of closing the bridge to us in their heads again. We need to address issues ourselves. This is what you all are attempting to do here on this board. The Perrine bridge is not getting burned. You people are again using these forums to blow stuff out of proportion and irritate your selves.
By the way, all of Red Bull North America's base projects have portrayed base in a positive light. None of them have been damaging to objects or the sport. We recently did a demo off the Trump Marina building in Atlantic City NJ. on July 3rd. Charles Bryan and Miles Daisher jumped the 300 foot B in front of many spectators. Hopefully this will set an example for more possible legal building jumps. This is one of Red Bull North America's missions right now.
Phew! Longest post I've ever made. Being an anal retentive base board geek really takes a lot of time out of your day. I'm atta here.
Shane McConkey

Saucerboy,

Thanks for the honest and sincere update on the P-Rine . Where does it stand at the moment with the water skiis ? Cause I've got to tell you , that looks like fun. Mik

You must realize that Don's crime was far worse than ours. Don's actions are going to burn the Perrine quicker than ours. Again, I have respect for Don for all he has done for us with his service and with his interaction with the city.

Don is one of the reasons that there is still jumping at the Perrine, and he is a respected local. Even if he was out of line (and I;m not saying that he was) then it's still a good idea for us to try our utmost to keep him happy, not flagrantly disregard his input.

We are ambassadors everywhere we go... Like it or not, in an environment where we are trying to drum up more legal objects and corporate support, you even more than us should be following the rules at established sites. If you open your own sites then you can make your own.

I guess that's the unfortunate part of being high profile (rather than unknown) basejumpers.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Shane, thanks for clarifying where you stand on things. For the record, JT and Jimmy have appalled me far more than you.

I agree with Shane that unless what they were doing was clearly illegal, then Don should not have gotten the Sheriff involved. This isn't Don's bridge either, and it isn't up to him to set the rules... it's the city of Twin Falls and the state of Idaho.

That said, if a Twin Falls Sheriff comes up to you and asks you to not do something, the better part of valor would be to do as he requests. If you don't like it, take it up with the state or city council... but don't thumb your nose at him and do what he just asked you not to. That's bad PR and just bad common sense.

Case in point...

Tom, me, and several other folks spent the better part of two days designing and building a platform that would hold 3 people (for the initial purpose of putting Russell off, but later for non-paralyzed jumpers). Some asshat complained to the sheriff that our restraining straps were blocking the walkway.

The sheriff showed up and asked us to take the platform down (after we put Russell off).

Now, we could have taken the "screw you, there's nothing prohibiting us from doing this" approach, or we could have taken it down in order to maintain good relations with the city.

Care to take a guess as to which option we chose?

- Z

Hey Shane,

I have to say that your response is a lot better than your pal JT. I appreciate that we all want to do anything we want. It is tempting to think that Perrine is just an open playground where anything goes, but I think that everyone needs to be realistic about what we have there. If we start taking pogo sticks off, or setting up a BMX ramp to launch bikes and rollerblades (and yes, even water skis), it starts to look a lot less like a serious sport (that we puport BASE to be) and a lot more like a bunch of lunatics set free on a bridge.

I agree that DOn should not have called the cops, but Don IS our single biggest advocate in TF. WIthout Don there would be no legal jumps off that bridge today. If Don asked you not to do something, there just may have been a reason. Perhaps the city council has already mentioned concerns with things elevating above just jumping off wioth parachutes. Maybe they forsaw the out of control attitudes that would lead to said pogo sticks and and other junk being hucked.

Just keep in mind that a lot of people watch that bridge and yes, there is poll of public and BASE jumper opinion about activities there. If you are catching a lot of flack, maybe there is a good reason. There are plenty of places where you (we) are not under a microscope to do as you wish.

Tree

"Bad attitudes get beaten badly"

Still, if the sherrif asks you to stop doing something, continuing to do it just seems like a bad idea--regardless of the circumstances leading up to his request.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hey mister ! answer me in this public forum. let the world see that you are the man!
take care,
space

I think you have the wrong thread, Space.
I neglected to answer you in the "Felix In The News" thread. Please post your request in that thread please;)

Hey mister ! answer me in this public forum. let the world see that you are the man!
take care,
space

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

MDBASE said . . .

>I love base like a fat kid loves cake<

That's a Nugget . . .

Nick :)BASE 194

MDBASE said . . .

>I love base like a fat kid loves cake<

That's a Nugget . . .

It's a lyric from a 50 cent song, "I love ya like a fat kid love cake"

My husband said it to me during at our wedding.
Very romantic...:ph34r:B|

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

It's a lyric from a 50 cent song, "I love ya like a fat kid love cake"

My husband said it to me during at our wedding.
Very romantic...:ph34r:B|

Yup , that'a whur I got it from.
-Bryan