Perrinegrl

Popular site being burned

Hey everyone!

I think it is important that each person in the BASE community knows that the most popular legal BASE site, located in Twin Falls, Idaho, is being abused.

There are people in Twin who are continually jumping off the rail and jumping with water skis on. One jumper has been confronted with the local police about jumping with water skis and continues to do this act. These people also had 2 of the local news stations out to film their jumps from the day and broadcast them on the local news.

I have one question for these men. Why ruin such a wonderful object for jumpers and future jumpers? You aren't doing any favors for the BASE community.

Meghan

"Live like you are dying."

Who are they?
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I sent you a PM.

It would be nice to know who it is so we can do our best to curb their activities.

This is blatant disregard so please let us help.

Tim
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

What´s the problem about jumping with water skis?
I understand the other concerns.
take care,
space

What´s the problem about jumping with water skis?

After the first jump with the water skis the police asked them not to do it again. After that, they repeated the water ski jump with the local TV news cameras present.

That's the problem.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

As much as I believe in respecting the locals the Potato bridge belongs to everyone. It would be MORE than a shame if that site was burned.
Why the hell would you jump with water skis anyway?

~Meghan rocked while we were in TF for Mem Day! and she keeps coming through. Thanks for the heads up.
(I was part of Johnny's crew that week)
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

OK, here's the names:

Shane McConkey, JT Holmes. Possibly a third jumper (I'm sure we can all guess who the possible is, but let me check and see if he was there).

Comments from Shane or JT?

I'll try to chat with Shane tonight and see if I can post an update.

In reference to the Felix thread: Interesting that this crew is also sponsored by Red Bull. Perhaps it's time to organize a more effective anti-Red Bull campaign?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

>:(

I can guarantee one thing.

If anyone ever successfully manages to burn the Potato Bridge, what happens next will make the JV incident seem tame in comparison.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

It's always sad when a few people spoil things for everyone else.

This is a wonderful place to teach BASE in a (relatively) safe environment. Many people (myself included) travel hundreds or even thousands of miles to learn at this object - it would be a shame if it didn't exist in the same (LEGAL and Well Supported by the locals) way.

If these people are really jeopardising this object then perhaps they were either unaware of the possible impact of their actions in which case i'm sure they'll try to keep the peace from now on. If they really are aware of the consequences for everyone else and just don't care then i suggest it's time for them to think again >:(

It's a site that should be preserved for everyone's enjoyment :)
I thoroughly enjoyed my FJC on memorial day week ... Please ensure that others have the same opportunity ...

Tom,
AFAIK and I know pretty far, Felix has never jeopardized a legal site. If this is the case with the others, I believe you have a legitimate complaint with RB. Please get statements from the authorities stating the complaint and the probable impact and i will pass it on directly to the chief of sponsorship of RB. Just make sure that this is the case. Talk to the guys first find out their side. Let me know when you wish to proceed with this route.
take care,
space

Another important note: Water skis are not designed to be taken into freefall and remain on the user's feet through opening shock. Imagine a nice Scott Slalom coming through the sun shade on your pontoon. They don't ask much of us in Twin Falls. Why would you guys blatently break the few rules and requests they ask of us.

Answer: (Shane, we await your answer here)

Its great and I'm jealous of having somone pay my way for fun and adventure. However, it seems that the lure of easy money and free jumps sure seems to fuck people up in the head becasue you would really have to be brain damaged to risk being the guy who got Perrine shut down. There really is no excuse for this behavior. I know, you guys are cooler than me, I mean you have a sponsor. Come back down to us mere mortal BASE jumper's level and think like you still cared about your fellow jumpers. For many folks, the legal stuff is all they have. Jump those water skis off something in Moab, and then we will really be impressed, and there will still be a little slice of heaven left in TF.

Cya.

I have to agree. I figure, they let us jump it all day every day, they ask very little of us as jumpers, we owe them that much. The whole thing with the rail is for the reason of traffic on the bridge, which I witnessed being slowed by this weekends rail jumps. Not to stir the pot, but hell, I would LOVE to jump from the rail, and never have, not at night, not in the day. We have a plank that serves the same purpose for aerials, though it isn't as much of a show (which I think is the reason for most of the rail jumps, the show). I have spent a lot of time up there since I began in November, and would be sick if something were to go wrong. [:/]

What does it take to get a BASE-style punishment?

Just makes me sick about the incredible lack of respect that some people can show. What was it that you were trying to accomplish?

I have over 100 jumps off that bridge in the last 6 months, practicing aerials, and generally enjoying the fact that it is a legal bridge that I can practice at. I can't even mention how "unhappy" I would be if it got burned.

I think we should not only be upset at what they are doing to us, as current jumpers, but also the jumpers that are still to do their FJC, that might not have the oppertunity that we had at TF...

YOU KNEW IT WAS DISRESPECTFUL TO A TOWN THAT HAS BEEN SO GOOD TO US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out the link at the bottom for a video from last weekend, I love the TF bridge...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

What does it take to get a BASE-style punishment?

Ask JV... and his crime would be infinitely less egregious in comparison.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

>:(. That is all.

OK, I just got back from the bridge. Here are some facts, presented in as unbiased a manner as I can manage.

Shane McConkey, JT Holmes and Miles Dasher were jumping. They had several videographers and photographers with them, apparently doing some kind of PR/magazine/video thing for use with various sponsors. I believe that the PR folks were mostly there tagging along with Shane.

They were jumping from the top of the rail, which is a violation of one of the very few rules here. Shane admits this was wrong, and apologized for it.

JT was jumping with a pair of waterskis on.

Shane reports that he put two of the camera guys off the bridge on his gear. He called them his "deathcampers." He emphasized that they were not his students, and would probably be unlikely to jump again.

The sheriff came out to talk to them. I'm not certain what brought the sheriff out. Shane reports that the sheriff told them that Don Mayes (the boat driver) had called the sheriff's office. I didn't get a chance to ask Don if this was the case.

The sheriff asked them not to stand on the rail.

The sheriff asked them not to jump with the waterskis on.

I am uncertain as to the degree of confrontation between the jumpers and the sheriff. Don reports that the conversation had a certain "we'll do what we want" tone from the jumpers. I did not ask Shane about this.

After the sheriff had left, the jumpers continued to jump. They continued to jump from the top of the rail. JT also continued to jump with his waterskis on.

After the sheriff had left, two TV news crews came out to film the jumpers. They were there by arrangement with the jumpers. I am uncertain if this arrangement was made before or after the conversation with the sheriff.

The news crews filmed the jumpers, standing on the top rail and jumping with waterskis.

The spot was on the evening news here in Twin Falls. I'm reasonably confident that at least someone at the sheriff's office will have seen the footage, and be aware that the jumpers disregarded the sheriff's requests.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Here are some of my thoughts on this:

I'm actually a lot less worried about Shane putting some guys off for an "amusement park" jump than if he were actually trying to teach people with no skydives to BASE jump. Admittedly, he's done the latter before (when he taught JT to BASE jump), but that was not the case here.

Continuing to do the things that the sheriff asked them not to was really very bad. Doing it with a TV crew there so the sheriff was certain to find out that jumpers were disregarding his requests was even worse.

If Don called the sheriff that was probably the wrong thing to do. Keeping this kind of thing "in the family" is definitely a good idea.

I'll email this link to Shane and JT and see if they want to comment.

Let's try to avoid turning this into a flame fest. I'll keep a close watch on how this thread develops. Discussion of ethics and commentary on the ethics of the situation are acceptable. Name calling and pointless yelling are not.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

First of all, I want to mention that I like Shane and Miles. They have done well in our sport and they are excellent jumpers.

However, jumping from the rail is a well known rule. Jumping again from the rail after being told by the cops to refrain from doing so is no better than the boneheads that drove a pickup truck up a logging road to El Cap in the early 1980's (the "Flatbed Ten"). The same applies to jumping with skiis after being told not to do so.

The only punishment this type of activity will result in is closure of the bridge to jumping. We all will be punished.

Shane, Miles, JT: We don't get many second chances in our sport. Please respect your fellow jumpers and the objects you jump from.

A Little History - The Flatbed Ten
----------------------------------
In 1980 the park experimented with allowing skydiving. Some people who wanted to legalize and promote jumping off of EL Cap convinced the USPA to establish legal jumping with the NPS. Reasonable guidlines were set up like permits, license requirements, time of jumping, probably similar to what is happening now with hanggliding. This lasted about 2 or 3 months. There were a lot of problems such as people leaving trash and damaging the environment and not following the requirements.In general many people were not behaving responsibly. There were a few rescues and minor landing injuries but no fatalities of major injuries. While all this was happening 'the assholes' decided that they didn't want to hike all the way to El Cap so they drove their truck up an old logging road as far as they could. This must have been from Big Oak Flat. The Park may have arrested or cited them, but the USPA thought It would help our image if they took action against them and expelled the people involved. Then these people sued the USPA claiming they had no business regualating base jumping. The USPA decided to drop the whole thing. The NPS outlawed base jumping in national parks. Skydivers and base jumpers did not make a very good impression with the NPS and base jumpers alienated the USPA. 20+ years later, it's still the most illegal object to jump from in the US.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I don't care who you are, how many sponsors you have, what color your helmet is, how many magazine pages you appear on, how many giant camera lenses are pointed your direction, or that you wind up on RealTV once in a while. Any BASE jumper who would jeopardize access to one of the most popular sites in the world, in order to improve their image to a bunch of gazers who know nothing of our sport, is an unethical and selfish person.

Everyday the list of jumpers I want to visit and spend time with grows. Unfortunately I've started a list of jumpers who I never want to share a site or exit point with. Some people who are BASE jumping now, some who are more experienced than myself, aren't doing anything productive for our sport. I love BASE jumping. If I had to choose one activity do do for the rest of my life, BASE would be my choice without hesitation. It's really sad to see that there are people in our sport whose self image is more important to them than our community.

That's pretty much all I have to say about that.

I don't think a flame fest would be productive, although it would be fun and is certainly within reason given the scope here. What I think is due from these jumpers is a public apology to the entire rest of the BASE jumping world. How can you possibly justify these actions? Jumping from the rail has been prohibited for at least 4 years now, and EVERYONE knows about it. Direspecing the local law enforcement is pretty stupid too, given that they have supported us for years.

JT, Shane, and Miles- You stand judged before your peers for acts of incredible selfishness (and frankly, stupidity). What do YOU have to say for yourselves?

>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

I got this via email from JT, who is apparently having trouble logging in here (I'll see if we can work out the login issue so he can post for himself).

yer facts while helpful and unbiased are almost correct but not quite... The sheriff warning was not the same day as the news broadcast... it was on the weekend and the news deal was this wednesday night.  The Sherifff and I spoke of water skiing from the bridge and he stated that water skiing in the canyon was "technically illegal" Only I know the nature of the warning, and I jump accordingly. I keep doing it because I enjoy it and I do it mid week when no one is around... except for that one time when the news guy was around...oops.  When i jumped the skis that night shane and I were unsure if the news guy had left yet, but i;d have done it anyways.

also one of yer facts was that the news showed top rail bailing and that is not true... that was not on the news... that happened the day of the sherriff incident and not on Wednesday for the news broadcast.

other than that you are right on.

as for the guy who asks you (Tm Aiello) to " talk to the authorites about what the specific complaint was" 

that is the wrong thing to do.  we need not waste any more of their time.

also... one guy says Shane taught me how to Base jump and that is a bad thing... well that is not really true either... Shane death camped me one weekend and then without realizing what he had done, I started skydiving and fell in love with skydiving shortly thereafter some Australians taught me to BASE jump and pack base gear and they charged me for 26 pack jobs and tok me to cliffs etc...until I finally figured out how to pack... I was living near Twin and did not Base jump with Shane again til I had like 40 base jumps jumps... maybe more.

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

And here's JT's response from BLiNC

Hi cocerned BASE folk;

We are not burning the Perrine, and relations have been positive and healthy all across the board. I am JT Holmes one of the ridiculed people.

firstly, let's be realistic, water skis aren't illegal to jump off of the bridge and you do not jump them from the top rail anyways. You might call it a gray area, but I think it is more like off white.

Don is drawing attention to the scene by notifying the police of our antics and creating attention and problems where ther otherwise would be none. I mean come on, if you want to preserve an object the last thing you do is call the cops or notify them and tell them there is a problem. the more the cops have to work or waste their time the more keen they will be to discontinue use.

secondly, No one jumped from the top rail on the news, nor have any calls been made from recent top rail bailing so on that side of the issue I must plead -no harm no foul.

and yes we have all agreed to tone down the use of the top rail.

I simply feel more comfortable jumping from the top rail and I am a safety oriented jumper...that is why I \have used it select times in the PAST and wont anymore.

gotta go to class will respond more later... and please trust that I love and wantt o preserve the bridge like all of the rest of us... without it, i would not have such a perfect place for BASE jumping and deathcamping.

please be do not hate me, I am a good person and so are shane and miles and we are polite and respectful ambassadors for the sport.

we must not cause more turbulence ourselves on an already minor and docile situation.

jt

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If this is the case with the others, I believe you have a legitimate complaint with RB. Please get statements from the authorities stating the complaint and the probable impact and i will pass it on directly to the chief of sponsorship of RB. Just make sure that this is the case. Talk to the guys first find out their side. Let me know when you wish to proceed with this route.

I think that JT is right, and that drawing law enforcement further into this little family quarrel is the wrong way to go.

The more we can regulate ourselves, the less likely that the authorities will want to regulate us.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

"I simply feel more comfortable jumping from the top rail and I am a safety oriented jumper...that is why I \have used it select times in the PAST and wont anymore."

Hey JT,

The rail has been off limits for at least 4 years. Its the ONE thing that they have asked of us. Its going to be a lot less safe in the base world if this site goes away. I haven't been out there in a couple years, but I sure would like the oppotunity to return.

We are self regulating as far as Perrine goes. This means if anyone sees anyone up on the rail, tell them to get the fuck down, and then maybe give them a little bitch slap. Better yet, grab their PC, wrap it around their feet a couple times, and give them a push. I'm sure they will not jump from the rail again. :P