mccordia

Felix on the news

Actually in one 3rd of that distance if the horizontal speed, rocket launch angle, rocket thrust are optimized.
take care
space

well I know some jumped it several times, and got busted by the cops once. They had to get their rigs at the police department the day after...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

From the news article: 343 meter high, 2460 meter long.

PS I like GoFast! much better, too! ;)

Actually it's 270m from water till the road deck. And yes..... I know several people who, more than once, have been jumping this bridge (and the cranes, when they were still there) even before the road deck was closed.......

From the news article: 343 meter high, 2460 meter long.

PS I like GoFast! much better, too! ;)

Actually it's 270m from water till the road deck. And yes..... I know several people who, more than once, have been jumping this bridge (and the cranes, when they were still there) even before the road deck was closed.......

So the news can't even measure right ;)
Then they probably mean not the roaddeck but the top of the bridge...

Hey Fons, you gonna compete in one of our swoopcompetitions?!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

We jumped it twice now and well before Felix did! I KNOW this for a fact, because the roaddeck wasn´t completed yet when we jumped it and on this video it is! One of my old posts is about the same object! http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1097421;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;guest=5986788

We also jumped one of the cranes that was standing next to one of the pillars twice, already last winter. I know some guys who did the crane before us, but I don´t know of anybody who jumped the roaddeck before us. But there MUST BE some French guys out there that have done it before anybody else as it is in their backyard!

I don´t care to be the first one or anything, but I don´t like it when somebody claims to be first while he isn´t!

Felix...come in please....Felix...!

Saskia thanks for the video...
Felix is NOT the 1st to have jumped that bridge, I know several people who jumped it.

from what I hear it was the TV station that stated he was the first and not Felix himself.......... things happen for ratings!

............ I was with some of the people that jumped this bridge (well the cranes) some time ago (august 2003)........... and since then lots of other UKers and French and belgium jumpers have done it.

Wh distrust the media most of the time and then accept what they say other times? that makes no sense..............

We all know Felix has some dodgy coverage from jumps - but how much is him and how much is it the media reporting it?

Michael

PS) there are lots more great spans in france to jump than this one!!!

Media helps him for sure...

He did this jump in daylight, while the coverage claims he has to do it all very sneaky...

It´s impossible to jump this bridge in daylight (too much security). Most likely it´s all set-up for him, like the Patronas jump. That jump was also arranged for him (Patronas/Red Bull!!! see attached picture)

I've only had one conversation with Felix. I didn't think much of him. I don't think much of him as a jumper either. But I shouldn't judge him unless I really got to know him!!!

As for all his claims for records and firsts, we all know the reality. I'm not a great fan of the way he has impacted the sport. On the other hand, many jumpers are the same. How often do you see "I was the first to . . ." posted on the various BASE forums. When the reality is many have been before.

Most of the French and Norgies seem to be the most humble on the world. They get on and do the jumps.

But what the jumping community does not understand is that Felix has a job to promote his sponsor and their product. The general public would have no idea if Felix is the real thing or not. Whether he is full of shit or not does not matter. He does the job of product promotion exceptionally well.

I would like to see Felix actually compete with other jumpers and get some skill credibility on his resume. I don't see that happening.

Whether your first or last, enjoy the experience.

It was on Fox News last night around 7:30PM EST being told as the highest bridge jump in the world about 700'. Got me thinking about the one day legal span in the eastern US which is much higher than that. Goes to show that some reporters need to do a bit more research.
The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over - Hunter S. Thompson

It´s impossible to jump this bridge in daylight (too much security).

No shit!!!

when we did it we had to jump between the 20 minute security patrol................... it took time and effort to do this without being noticed and to get away with it..................

and our work paid off!
;)

What happens if we all go "cold turkey" for the summer and let 'em know what we think of their sponsoring the "god of the sky"?

Woah, let's not get crazy now. We'd lose two great things: Red Bull and an amazingly selfish figure to poke fun at.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

So you never responded to my question in "point c." or responded to "b" or "d.", Jason.
I´ll briefly outline it again, as I would like to ask your opinion on these points.
Point b. Felix opened his site to the world.. What do you think about this? Privately owned and you and all others have permission to jump there. Is this a future of legal BASE?
Point c. How is one to know who did the highest, lowest, longest etc if it´s not documented in an accessable manner? How does one document it in an accessable manner? (Felix does have documentation on his jump). What about the johnny-come-lately record breakers, even you didn´t know about the last 2 that were since year 2000. How would one rectify this lack of info?
Point d. Read the starter post again. What makes people jump to conclusions faster than exciting journalism? You got taken in by it too. Why are people so gullible to the media´s entertainment? McCordia seems to me like he is objective in stating what he saw on Dutch TV. How do we prevent this, Should we? Do we need to have a figure to poke fun at as Manbird said?

Jason, you are highly experienced in not only the sport but adminstration of it also. What would you do? I respect your opinion and am interested in your ideas.
take care,
space

Do we need to have a figure to poke fun at as Manbird said?

Yes, we do. The same way Stern needs to bitch about Imus (sp?), we need to bitch about Felix.

Pretty much everyone (myself included) bases their opinion of the guy on what they see in the media (though I did encounter him once at Perris, very briefly). Sure the producers sensationalize everything, but the vast majority of stuff we make fun of comes from his own mouth. On the Baffin Islands trip, the commentary was sensationalistic, but the jumpers were very humble and accurate in their descriptions of what was happening. Everyone but Felix, who had to, as Homer would say, "embiggen" everything. In anything that is Felix-only, he's no better, if not worse, than the overall commentary in terms of death, death, death, me, me, me.

The real "danger", if any, is that he puts himself (or is put) in a position where he speaks for the sports of skydiving and BASE, but never gives an accurate portrayal. I think that, more than anything, is what pisses off jumpers. Whether he means to or not, Felix deceives the public about our sports. IMO, it's an abuse of the resources and access to the public that he has.

Click

Hi space,

well, at least on F. website it says "the world's lowest base jump" (in the intro) ... so no excuse here because of false or exaggerated media reports or whatever ... is it just a false statement on his website ... unknowingly of course ;) ... we know now there have been and there are lower jumps so this should be corrected, shouldn't it ...

Greetz.

--
Eduard

Not knowing Felix or his, badassed?, stunts?, as well as some, I can very much attest to this. I am a big GoFast person, BUT. I have to say, with some authority, that Red Bull treats it's atheletes well! (I've heard of them even bailing thier BASE jumpers out of jail!!!). The number of BASE ventures they have funded will never compare with the tiny number, some of you folks, find out and gripe about. GoFast, RedBull, Fucking Gatorade, I don't care. It takes some direct cash to pull off a modern, post 911, BASE event. "B-Day", "RGB-Day, Malaysia and many other cutting edge events. All I'm saying is, let's not get some kickass -BASE Event/Athlete sponsors-, and the individual jumpers get too mixed up for the individual jumpers botched info and hype. "Hate the player, not the game"...

"I came to kick ass and chew gum, and I'm all outta gum"

Hank Flailor- BASE#637-a
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

I believe that the S in question has the name of another pussy (cat)
spookey

The only thing worse than a cold toilet seat is a warm toilet seat.

I believe that the S in question has the name of another pussy (cat)

Sylvester? :S

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

The cat in question has a little doggy friend
But remember folks, no site naming

The only thing worse than a cold toilet seat is a warm toilet seat.

Everytime there is something about the stuntmonkey Felix, the same shit happens. People complain and there is one single person, Granpa Space, that defends the clown. Why not just get the clowns ass and bit it hard, so he learns how to operate on other sites, outside Austria. Simply give him a couple of hard kicks in the ass, and he might learn. Next time he will have bodyguards on his hikes, but thats only the old movie stars that are to old to do anything (seems like F likes to pose on pictures with them,haha). I have waited for the grand opening of his fanclub on his site ( [/url]http://www.felixbaumgartner.com/site/index.html[url]) but is is still not working yet...I GUESS I KNOW WHY...Maybe this asskicking can put a smile on his face, so he dont look soo tough on all the pictures....
The bridge in France has been jumped since it was high enough to jump from, so quit with the lies pussy(cat). YOU GOT TO KICK IT, BEFORE YOU FLICK IT!!!

hey Space is cool in my book! no matter who he may stick up for!............. to be honest Space is one of the people I hold in high regard........

As for the bridge being flicked who and when first.............. well hey.......... Us brits did it a long time ago and its not even in our country!!!!

hehehehe - stop sleeping y'all!!!!

;);)B|

be cool, have fun, and dont sweat the politics!!!!

hey Space is cool in my book!

HE'S A COOL GUY, FOR SURE!!!:)

if you are thinking of that new bridge in france, it is the highest motorway-bridge about to be built in europe. the road is appr. 300m above ground, the pylons go up to 400 m. it was designed by sir norman forster (thank you!).
you can have a close look at this at www.brueckenweb.de, the german bridge-database.
AFAIK there has been a fatality from a french jumper there, estimated bridle/arm entanglement.
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

It's amazing watching these posts and how apparently fragile many jumpers egos are.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Yo, Loonie,
Felix likes your adj "stuntmonkey". It fits he says.
take care
respect,
space

Yo, Loonie,
Felix likes your adj "stuntmonkey". It fits he says.

I can see the next self-inulgent video now: "When I put on my stuntmonkey uniform, I feel like God is dressing me with his feet..."

Click