Hajo

fatality in switzerlannd

http://www.bernerzeitung.ch/region/artikel/44539/artikel.html

is saying, a 26 year old austrian died after a 180 and a following cliff strike.
as I heard, it was his first jump on that exit.
I guess, if that incidentseries continues, the valley will be closed in not so long time from now.
be careful out there.
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

Andi K. from Austria, 26 y., ~300 plane- and ~30 Base-jumps. It was his 2nd jump that day and his 2nd jump from the Nose. He jumped straight, tracked, opened at around 200 m off the ground (half-way down the face), had a 180 and hit the cliff 3 secs later. There was zero wind. From what I've been told it was his first off-heading opening.
He died immediately on impact.
My condolences for his family and friends. A very sad day.

It was his 2nd jump that day and his 2nd jump from the Nose. He jumped straight, tracked, opened at around 200 m off the ground (half-way down the face), had a 180 and hit the cliff 3 secs later.

I'm not very good with the metric system, but the opening sounds high. Is that a normal opening height for this object, or would getting a longer track moved him further from the face?

Being a newer base jumper myself, I have not had the opportunity for any higher jumps yet. I am wondering myself, how long of a delay my brain would allow me take on a 1000'+ object. I'm used to the 200-300 range personally. I'd imagine taking a long delay from a tall object has to be a total mind game...

My condolences to the family and friends.

Ganja

fly free brother

stay safe out there

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

This is very sad news. My condolences to family and friends.

I think this is the sixth in the valley and the third from this exit point - one each of the past three years.

Be careful out there.

Mark

My sincerest condolences to family and friends of Andi.
Fly free brother.
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

To answer your question. In general, the safest, if you decide to jump, is to pull with maximum clearance from the ground and object whilst still leaving you able to make the LZs after dealing with line-overs of headings etc... But even this is not garanteeing you will survive to the ripe old age of tomorrow.
hope this helps
take care,
space

Condolences to your family, from your Austrian colleagues and friends, Rest in peace.

I recently received this from an experienced jumper, regarding this exit. I recommend that anyone who is considering a trip there but is unfamiliar with the exits read this.

...based on 99 jumps I have done in the LB valley and about 30 from the Nose.

On first appearance the Nose looks like a relatively easy and safe jump. The exit points (1,2 and 3) are all pretty solid and the cliff seems radically overhung. Unfortunately this can be deceptive as the overhang dissapears after about 200-250m and the cliff then becomes underhung. A short delay (4-5 sec) slider up means you can open directly above a near vertical talus. Correcting an offheading with a resultant loss of altitude means its quite possible to collapse your canopy on this "talus" which is more like an 80 degree slope. The result can be cliff strike, temporary hang-up on the talus and deflation of your canopy before starting the last 200m of the jump with a deflated-rolled up canopy.

In contrast, taking a longer delay, out tracking the talus can allow clearance from all the cliff and opening above a paddock with sufficent height-clearance to manage an off heading. Given the increased off heading rate with short delays slider up, maybe re-evaluating your next jump off the nose is in order. Answering "Yes" to 3 questions may help: Will I go slider up? Do I feel comfortable tracking over a talus at an altitude that may make some jumpers nervous? Are my tracking skills up to speed?

Many people fail to take this jump (and the others in the same area) seriously enough, in my opinion.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

sincerest condolences to your family and friends!
andi

rest in peace!
sincersest condolences to your family and friends!
DRU

Just to double this. Based on multiple accidents on this exits and one with a underhang slab on the other side.

Either you do a maximum of 4 sec (which is the minimum you should do with a slider) or you go as deep as you can! This is to get maximum separation to the wall. Opening for instance at la mousse between 4 and 12 can ruin your day. Doing arials at those exits are different! You have to be sure passing the slabs or the terrace by tracking, especially if your manoeuvre did not go well...

Also, that in summer on hot days the air is less dense, to tracking will be less effective too.

And pleaseplease ask for information about spots and conditions. There is still people flying backwards under canopy sometimes, hurting themselfes when snowpack doesn't allow safe access...

condolescences

Sincere condolences to family and friends. Many of us have bitter memories of loss from that exit, and I hope folks will read carefully the advice regarding this jump that others have posted here.

Peace,

D-d0g
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

From 2001 . . .

#56 Thierry Van Roy, April 2, 2001
Cliff Jump
Impact
Lauterbrunnen, "La Mousse" (Mossy).
Thierry had 100 plus skydives and about 240 BASE jumps (fifty jumps are from cliffs.) He is doing a 3 way, launching first, on his back (video person above him filmed the whole jump). Thierry took too much time to come back to a good position facing away from the wall. He attempted to make a quick quarter turn and deploy, but impacted before complete deployment of his canopy. Two days prior to his death, he did ten jumps in the valley, and witnesses attested to the fact that he is really very tired. He is passionate for the sport and loved the people who -like him- jumped for their own, and not for the show. His many friends miss him deeply. The report also included the following: "Just a few words about this site La Mousse. It is high and you can fly 9 to10 seconds if you track like hell. But the pure vertical is not more than 6 seconds."

http://www.basefatalities.info/

Nick D
BASE 194

Dark times ...

I will see him when I arrive in Valhalla. It will be happy time for me and a sad time for my family ...

PerFlare