LongWayToFall

One Toggle not functional. Land on both rears or one rear and one toggle?

This happened to me yesterday on my Velo 96. One toggle got hung up on my RDS grommet, basically locking it in place somewhere between half brakes and fully unstowed. I took a couple wraps on the good toggle and was able to steer and land on both rears.

Not sure this would work for everyone, but i'm pretty current on my rears as I land frequently on rears only even with good toggles. I would add that landing on rears with some toggle input is not the same as landing on rears in full flight...so be careful you don't stall the canopy if you ever try it.

Be safe.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

I was asked if i thought about cutting the brake line to land on rears in full flight. That thought did not cross my mind. I do carry a hook knife and had it with me.

I thought about only two options: Landing it the way I did, and getting rid of it.

Some additional variables: It was very windy. Typical for Byron, but it was blowing between 15 and 25.

I'm very comfortable on my rears, and while I don't often land on rears with brake input, I took my chances...and landed it well. The wind was certainly a factor that helped me decide to not cut it away. That being said, i'm not sure that I would have chopped it in 0 wind...but i might have.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

I landed on rears, very delicately, from about 1/4 brakes (one of my brakeline knotted itself around the riser when I popped it, so i compensated with a small wrap of the other brakeline around my hand). It was uneventful. I had keepers added to the risers after that.
Remster